this is a sad state of affairs

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh, yeah, but it's always been that way. Probably always will. It's up to the individual instructor to watch standards, the KKW doesn't.

EDIT: Hey, look, black belt!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh, yeah, but it's always been that way. Probably always will. It's up to the individual instructor to watch standards, the KKW doesn't.

If that were true, then 40 or 60% of the skip dan candidates at the US Open wouldn't have failed or not taken the test because they knew they would fail.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What other gradings does the KKW control though? They had nothing to do with my BB except mailing me the certificate nor anyone elses I know of, that's up to the instructor

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What other gradings does the KKW control though? They had nothing to do with my BB except mailing me the certificate nor anyone elses I know of, that's up to the instructor

they shouldn't have mailed it to you directly. usually they send it to the instructor directly. They also control the kukkiwon instructor course grading, as well as the hanmadang international referee gradings, which people have flunked before.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
they shouldn't have mailed it to you directly. usually they send it to the instructor directly. They also control the kukkiwon instructor course grading, as well as the hanmadang international referee gradings, which people have flunked before.

They did send it to my instructor, yeah.

My ref cert is provincial, not KKW, wasn't even aware they had a ref certification. Thought it was WTF that did that. The instructor's course I knew about.

As badly expressed as it was, my point was that they don't do anything aside from sign the form for most gradings and they don't watch to make sure dojangs are doing things right

I actually noticed that.

Congrats on your MartialTalk black belt, LOL!

Thanks SPX :bangahead:

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What I find a sad state of affairs is people claiming to be martial arts teachers, practitioners and self-defense gurus representing the arts with a completely out of shape body. What kind of message does this send to those involved or wanting to get in to martial arts?

For those who claim to be such pragmatic self-defense aficionados how can you even protect yourself if you cannot act physically? Logic would tell me that if self-defense was my goal the prowess of my body would be the number one goal, since that is the tool which must be used.

I laugh at the people who naysay sport in martial arts. Sport is not the end all but I believe that it is part of the puzzle that makes one good. Sport is just a tool for me to test, albeit under conditions, my skills.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not advocating for the removal of hand techniques in taekwondo, just in the competition format, shihap kyorugi. You can punch all you want in self defense, in poomsae, in kyuk pa, where ever else in taekwondo. Or do you find it too hard to compartmentalize like that?

Again, this is not my area of expertise, but why do you advocate taking punches out of sparring competition? It is Taekwondo.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
What I find a sad state of affairs is people claiming to be martial arts teachers, practitioners and self-defense gurus representing the arts with a completely out of shape body. What kind of message does this send to those involved or wanting to get in to martial arts?

That martial arts are not only for the super fit elite?

As the owner of a "completely out of shape body" (although I'm trying to change it) I still feel that I have something to offer students. I started a club teaching last september and have a happy bunch of kids that I'm teaching who seem completely unconcerned with my body shape.

I'm not a sport naysayer nor a self-defence aficionado, I'm just a general Kukki-Taekwondo instructor passing on what I learnt. I believe that there is a place for everyone in Taekwondo and that it has something to offer of benefit to everyone. I don't see why I should stop helping other people because of my body shape.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, this is not my area of expertise, but why do you advocate taking punches out of sparring competition? It is Taekwondo.

Because the sparring competition doesn't represent the whole of Taekwondo. There is also poomsae (a lot more hand techniques than kicks), kyukpa, other forms of sparring.

I don't necessarily have strong feelings about removing punches from shihap kyorugi either way, but I wouldn't object on the basis that it's removing part of the name - there are already enough restrictions in shihap kyorugi compared to the complete Taekwondo syllabus that removing of punches (which are largely ineffective and underused in competition anyway) wouldn't be a big deal.

Just my 2p worth...

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That martial arts are not only for the super fit elite?

As the owner of a "completely out of shape body" (although I'm trying to change it) I still feel that I have something to offer students. I started a club teaching last september and have a happy bunch of kids that I'm teaching who seem completely unconcerned with my body shape.

I'm not a sport naysayer nor a self-defence aficionado, I'm just a general Kukki-Taekwondo instructor passing on what I learnt. I believe that there is a place for everyone in Taekwondo and that it has something to offer of benefit to everyone. I don't see why I should stop helping other people because of my body shape.

But you do not make claims about being something your not Andy - respect to you.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe sport has a place in martial arts, as well as self-defense. People ultimately get what they want or they leave to find it somewhere else. I don't think that bashing someone else's interpretation of the art is conducive to correcting/uplifting our image.

That said, the only thing I can control is inside my dojang, and the only way to contribute to making a change on a larger scale is through an organization. If you aren't involved outside of your school, then I don't believe you have the right to bash or judge others.

This post isn't directed towards any one individual, it is only my personal opinion on the matter. I don't concern myself with the image of ITF, WTF, KKW, ATA, etc, because it isn't representing me. I do enjoy learning about these organizations and what goes on in other dojangs, but I'm not going to be offended if it isn't what I would do if I were in those shoes.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because the sparring competition doesn't represent the whole of Taekwondo. There is also poomsae (a lot more hand techniques than kicks), kyukpa, other forms of sparring.

I don't necessarily have strong feelings about removing punches from shihap kyorugi either way, but I wouldn't object on the basis that it's removing part of the name - there are already enough restrictions in shihap kyorugi compared to the complete Taekwondo syllabus that removing of punches (which are largely ineffective and underused in competition anyway) wouldn't be a big deal.

Just my 2p worth...

Fair enough, again, this is not my area of expertise, so I was genuinely curious as to the reasoning. While in my experience, punches are very effective in sparring, I do not spar under the Olympic style sparring rule set.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Just my 2p worth...

I probably misunderstand the whole shihap kyorugi thing, but IMO punches even those to the body should be very effective even if judges refuse to score them. If you have a good punch, punish the other guy when he is standing next to you trying to kick you. A couple of unpleasant ones to the torso should soften him up and make him easier to counterattack.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I don't believe they have to be in sport conditioned shape, or even have a slim/trim body, but I do believe they should be able to handle an entire workout that they dish out to the classes without the fear of needing a defib.

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i know plenty of fat guys that can get in there and throw down Ron. A LOT of them in fact. a person's physical condition has exactly zero to do with thier ability to teach or perform.

my gut doesnt stop me from being able to teach someone how to do a technique. sure, i cant do everythign as well as i used to, but thats as much age as condition.

For those who claim to be such pragmatic self-defense aficionados how can you even protect yourself if you cannot act physically? Logic would tell me that if self-defense was my goal the prowess of my body would be the number one goal, since that is the tool which must be used.

I laugh at the people who naysay sport in martial arts. Sport is not the end all but I believe that it is part of the puzzle that makes one good. Sport is just a tool for me to test, albeit under conditions, my skills.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I probably misunderstand the whole shihap kyorugi thing, but IMO punches even those to the body should be very effective even if judges refuse to score them. If you have a good punch, punish the other guy when he is standing next to you trying to kick you. A couple of unpleasant ones to the torso should soften him up and make him easier to counterattack.

Personally I've never really noticed punches during sparring. Every so often when someone catches you absolutely right, with the right timing, distance and power then it goes through the hogu, but they never bothered me in general. That said, quick a few kicks if they land with power you'll feel (even if the timing/distance isn't perfect).

Given that WTF players (at least we always used to, I haven't trained like the elite fighters of today) learn to ride a powerful shot rather than absorb the impact while stationary, I can't imagine punches are going to do a lot against a guy "standing next to you trying to kick you".

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't believe they have to be in sport conditioned shape, or even have a slim/trim body, but I do believe they should be able to handle an entire workout that they dish out to the classes without the fear of needing a defib.

I agree and I can do that. I'd like to be able to handle more, but it's a slow processing getting to a slim/trim body...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally I've never really noticed punches during sparring. Every so often when someone catches you absolutely right, with the right timing, distance and power then it goes through the hogu, but they never bothered me in general. That said, quick a few kicks if they land with power you'll feel (even if the timing/distance isn't perfect).

Given that WTF players (at least we always used to, I haven't trained like the elite fighters of today) learn to ride a powerful shot rather than absorb the impact while stationary, I can't imagine punches are going to do a lot against a guy "standing next to you trying to kick you".

Then respectfully, these players don't really know how to punch. Not in an explosive fashion, not with what the Okinawans call chinkuchi.

Latest Discussions