Things you just can't do with your husband/significant other

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Many years ago I came to the realisation that my husband and I can not do home renovations together. We get along really well otherwise but put a power tool in that man's hand and a paint brush in mine and we quickly get on each other's nerves and a power struggle begins with how to do what and when. We are in the middle of doing a somewhat small project in our home and quickly driving each other mad, lol. Usually I just wait for him to go out of town before doing anything in the house, then when he comes back, it is done and he really has nothing to complain about cause he didn't have to do anything.

Friends of mine can't golf together. They both enjoy the sport but really get on each other's nerves on the course. He thinks she doesn't swing right and she thinks he is a know it all. :)

Anyone else find they have any problems like these or are you living in sweet bliss where everything is rosy. :uhyeah:

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm...my hubby and I golf together, home reno together, travel together, weight train together, MA train together -so everything is perfect and rosy! :shrug:

Nope, wait - that isn't true. We have decided we can no longer work together. After 11 years we are dissolving our work relationship. It was never horrible, I just think it is best if we don't work together anymore - we spend way too much time together.

The other thing we can't do is camp together. I HATE camping so that is something he must do on his own. Otherwise, we are fairly compatible.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm... Home renovations, projects, camping, family events, and travel we do OK together. Most anything else I like to do she is not interested in, and most things she likes to do I am not interested in. :(

Although, I am sure I could work with her. :)

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
#1 for me/us would be skiing. I like to point my toes straight down the mountain and see how fast I can go without dying......she likes to cruise leisurely down the easier parts of the mountain.

#2 : Camping. Not her thing.....:vu:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
When we were in college my wife and I absolutely could not study together, despite having many of the same classes. I skim the material, hitting the high points and then go back and revisit the stuff I thought was important. She would start at chapter 1 and thoroughly review each chapter. I'd be done with everthing and getting bored, and she'd be on Chapter 2.

Now that I think about it, this is basically our approach to cleaning the house as well, she regularly lets me know of her disagreement with my method.

Lamont

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny, my wife and I can work side by side very well in doing reno work. What we CAN'T do is go to home depot together before/during/after the start of the project. You think that'd be the easy part. Not for us it isn't! We can agree on anything as long as it's what SHE wants. All hell breaks loose everytime.

Oh, and, we can't watch TV together. She's a flippeer with 3 sitcom's or such going at once. I'm a learning/history channel kinda guy and flipping is out of the question.

Other than that, I never see her, so that about covers it. :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me and my wife have never seen eye to eye on teaching in school, she has her dreams of grand illusion and my reality of facts are totally different.
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Drive...and we do it all the time. Now, I am a great driver so I have no idea why my husband can't relax when I'm behind the wheel. HE on the other hand seems to feel that no one in front of him should ever have to slow down to turn, or stop for anything. He refuses to use the brakes for as long as possible and then has to brake very hard to avoid rear-ending someone. I get out of the car jumpy as a cat in a room full of rockers.

Other than that everything's peachy-keen. :D

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Oh, and, we can't watch TV together. She's a flippeer with 3 sitcom's or such going at once. I'm a learning/history channel kinda guy and flipping is out of the question.

Oh, true here, too......I'm a history channel/learning channel/food channel junky, but I stay in one place until the show's over. My wife also likes to flip around between a handful of sitcom's.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Martial Tucker said:
Oh, true here, too......I'm a history channel/learning channel/food channel junky, but I stay in one place until the show's over. My wife also likes to flip around between a handful of sitcom's.
Your wives need to meet my husband, they would get along famously. I can't stand channel flippers, you never actually get to see a "whole" show cause you always miss a few minutes here and there! :shrug:

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Go to the bathroom. We only have 1, and she hates it when I sit on her lap. :rofl:

Seriously, golfing. Because she can't. You know, once in Saskatoon, we were golfing at like, the nicest course I have ever golfed. She and my friend's wife were golfing so terribly, the course marshal asked us if we'd just start dropping their first balls at the 100Y marker. Man, I was so embarassed.....

We also would never be able to work together. We're both management personalities.....

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:

Boy does that sound familiar. :D My channels are Discovery, History, TLC, Military, and Science.

She hates those. :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Your wives need to meet my husband, they would get along famously. I can't stand channel flippers, you never actually get to see a "whole" show cause you always miss a few minutes here and there! :shrug:
My gf's dad is a channel flipper. We were over there the other night for dinner, and my gf and her mom were joking about what a recording of his thought process would sound like:
"It's called the Kiss of the Dragon. All of your blood goes to your head, and stays the--"*CLICK*"And we knew right then that John Elway really wanted to win that game. And I thought, man, if he's doing--"*CLICK*"Take the Oreck Challenge"*CLICK*"With Roadrunner, you can access the Internet at blazing spee--"*CLICK*"Tonight on Fox"*CLICK*"The German blitzkreig continued to advance across Euro--"*CLICK*

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For us it's martial arts. We fight about how to fight! It's annoying and so I really don't want to work out with him... LOL Solution...he studies Aikido and I study Kenpo...totally different animals...it's perfect! :)

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gemini said:

My wife is a history channel flipper! TLC, Discovery, and now we have digital cable so she has like 10 different history channels. Mostly cnfusing but sometimes you can get some weird synergies between shows: how the mafia built Vegas, the Kennedy Asassination, and the history of nuclear arms race. Surprisingly connected... or maybe I just got confused from all the flipping!!!

She refuses to go to the hardware store with me (thank God). She wants to go in, get exactly what we need, and get out. I prefer to browse the entire store to make sure there isn't something I need that I just don't know I need yet. So do you think she would understand hwo I have the same attitude towards the mall that she has towards Home Depot... if you think she would then you have never been married LOL

Latest Discussions