Training in 2010 may be different

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
that is assuming I can walk - damn foot followed by that damn knee

For some reason I need to post this, I don’t know why, it may be just asking to be flamed but just the same I am posting it. And I am putting it here because everything I am talking about comes from Chinese Martial Arts

I am beginning to feel cross-training is necessary "for me" to gain a bit more insight into myself , my training and what I need and am looking for from it. After over 35 years in this stuff...who knew this was coming.

However I am not talking cross-training in the way many think about it, I am not saying I think I need to start studying grappling and combine that with my taiji or anything else for that matter. Although if someone wants to do that more power to them.

I am beginning to feel that there are things I need to bring into my training that fall under the category in which I train, Internal Chinese Martial Arts. Of course it could also be that I just have to much time to think these days due to the onslaught of injuries and illnesses I have had hit me this year, but I can’t stop thinking about this stuff of late and I’m tired of fighting it so what the hell.

I do still believe that Yang Style Taijiquan, all by itself, if trained properly and long enough is all you will need but I seem to be at a point where I am looking for something additional (I don’t mean more since I do believe Yang taiji is enough). And I have been focusing on Yang style and only Yang style but there is something nagging at me from inside that wants something additional. Could also be why I have found myself standing in Santi Shi again too.

After reading and article by Adam Hsu I do honestly feel it is ok to bring some things back in that I have learned before. I have enough time in Taiji, IMO and I think that Adam Hsu would agree, to do that and move on in my training and it will not be detrimental but helpful for what I want out of CMA at this point. It was Adam Hsu’s article on fajing that made me admit to myself that I really need to bring the Chan Si Jin training I learned from Chen back into my training. It also made me realize that Santi Shi is needed as well as is Zhan Zhuang. But it should be said that absolutely any posture from any taijiquan form can be, and likely should be, used for stance training (I have done that in the past as well), It is just I feel I am getting more from Santi Shi. I should also say this is just me, others will likely have a much different experience, and in other words “your mileage may vary”. Also this has nothing to do with any lack in my Sifu I see no lack in anything he has shown me or his understanding and skill at Yang Taijiquan. But it has everything to do with a need in me to get where I need to go…wherever that is and at this point I am honetly not sure where that is exactly, but I need to get there just the same.

However none of this takes away from the fact that I need to do a lot of work on my taiji. I have not been able to do much with it beyond the Qigong for months now and I really want to and need to get back to working on the forms and tuishou. I am hoping very early in 2010 to get back at it

However I still look at these things separately Santi Shi and Chan Si Jin are not part of Yang Taijiquan they are part of Chen Taijiquan and Xingyiquan. But they are part of Xue and Xue’s training and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that at this point, although I do honestly feel it would have been a problem 15 years ago when I started training with my Yang Sifu.

Since I have been on MT I have had problems with my Yang Sifu, left my Yang Sifu’s school and returned, trained Xingyiquan, Wing Chun, various forms of Qigong and Sanda but I think this is what I need to do for me and my training at this point to advance in the way I need to advance, for me not for Yang style (I need Yang style, yang style does not need me). I just need to put some of the things I have learned over the years back in and see where it takes me. I also am going to go back to the Sanda strike training as well but then I never saw a whole lot of difference between Sanda (which is considered very external) and the Taiji idea of striking anyway. It was awfully internal for an external style

Now I just need to figure out how to fit it all in and still have time for family and work which are also very important to me, family being most important of all.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good luck in your quest. (And don't feel the need to apologize for wanting to cross train!)

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome! Good luck in that endeavor, or should say never ending quest.

I think this year I need to focus on more Qi Gong than I have in the past few years, due to ailments, week body, etc...

So I would like to bring back some of the Qi Gong I used to practice & hopefully continue to practice even after 2010.

But either way it will be a great year for training!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Everybody has to cut their own path in both MA and life in general... only the sheeple are content to unthinkingly walk in somebody else's tracks.

The only thing that would concern me, Xue, is that you have not found the tranquility and calmness that the CMA often brings...... that indicates a key element(s) of what you seek you haven't found. Good luck, I hope 2010 brings it to you.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Funny how no one ever told us how see, try, and do would become see, try, adapt, and do. Or maybe we were too young to remember. ;)

Xue, you're always going to be a CMA guy. Its in your blood. You'll just be the CMA guy that also tries...other stuff.

The folks that know who my FMA instructor is (yes I know I need to get my sorry butt to class sir! :D) he said something to me on my first day of training. It was...you will parts of our material in other systems, and other styles. Why? Because it works.

I suspect that with your experience, you will find that you see the CMAs in other applications, and that will give you a chance to see the familiar and the differences too.

Xue, its your body, time, money, investment, and your negotiations with the Boss and the little ones to make it happen. Enjoy the journey. Or, just strap on a 10th and go over to the Kenpo section (kidding!!) :lol2:

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The only thing that would concern me, Xue, is that you have not found the tranquility and calmness that the CMA often brings...... that indicates a key element(s) of what you seek you haven't found. Good luck, I hope 2010 brings it to you.

Actually, I think I'm there...more or less :D

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Funny how no one ever told us how see, try, and do would become see, try, adapt, and do. Or maybe we were too young to remember. ;)

Xue, you're always going to be a CMA guy. Its in your blood. You'll just be the CMA guy that also tries...other stuff.

I have to train CMA...or my wife (native Chinese) will beat me :boxing: :anic:

As for the rest of your post :asian: thank you

Latest Discussions