A man obsessed!!!!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was called a man obsessed in another post and to be honest it made me laugh and I thought it was pretty funny. But this morning after doing “Ba Duan Jin” followed by standing in “Santi shi” it hit me “a man obsessed”

I am training Yang style tai chi, Hebei Xingyiquan and non-sport Sanda/Sanshou and now I am considering Northern Wu style Tai Chi.

Obsessed is by definitions having or showing excessive or compulsive concern with something, to preoccupy the mind of excessively, to have the mind excessively preoccupied with a single emotion or topic

And to be honest I do believe I fit the definition at the moment and I am not sure that is a good thing but it is currently the truth.

I have been reworking and reworking my training based on the thought that the old CMA guys were right; internal and external training just don’t mix well and to some extent I feel they are right and at the same time I find that I do not completely agree. I think about this stuff waaaaay to much

But today in santi I began to wonder (and you are not suppose to be wondering in Santi) do the styles that I train impact each other in a negative fashion? And I am beginning to believe they do.

I train 3 styles and I am thinking of a 4th maybe I can handle 2 but I can’t keep up 4 and do the training justice. Like most on MT I work and that takes time and like many on MT I have a family so that takes more time so time is very limited.

What’s the old saying "Jack of all trades, master of none"? I am beginning to think I am going to have to focus on one style, maybe 2. But which one or 2 I cannot say right now. I enjoy Sanda but I am beginning to believe that it is having a negative impact on my Tai Chi but not my Xingyi. I have been doing Yang style for a long time but to be honest (with myself) I am not sure if I should focus on that if I do Sanda or Xingyi. I just started back to Xingyi and I am currently thinking this may be the one to focus on and so far nothing seems to be impacted by sanda; I have found training links to Beijing for training Hebei style Xingyiquan as well. But then there is Northern Wu, my obsession of the moment and I am going to go check out a class soon and that could be it too, at least from what I am reading it may be what I need to so right now (and the main school is in Beijing), and I can see it benefiting my Yang style where I am not exactly sure Xingyi does and I am pretty sure Sanda doesn’t. I think about this stuff waaaaaaay to much too. Oh and did I mention I have to learn Mandarin too, yet another obsession to deal with.

And I have not even scratched the surface of the actual training in connection with this...

Damn I need a vacation... ahhh yes I got it go to Beijing.... to relax..... AHHHH that won't help :uhyeah:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also share in "The Curse of the Perpetually Curious". I guess we could shorten that to "TCPC".

I think that it is very common for people in the Chinese arts to train in several different systems, often both on the Internal and External side of things. This gives you a much broader horizon of understanding. Eventually you will decide upon the one or two methods that you like best, and you focus on those and begin to develop true mastery of them. But the wide range of experience enables you to make a better decision, when the time comes.

Just enjoy it. I find the different methods to be intellectually stimulating. If/when you decide to narrow your focus, then go with it, but the broader experience will always be good to have, in my opinion.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also share in "The Curse of the Perpetually Curious". I guess we could shorten that to "TCPC".

I think that it is very common for people in the Chinese arts to train in several different systems, often both on the Internal and External side of things. This gives you a much broader horizon of understanding. Eventually you will decide upon the one or two methods that you like best, and you focus on those and begin to develop true mastery of them. But the wide range of experience enables you to make a better decision, when the time comes.

Just enjoy it. I find the different methods to be intellectually stimulating. If/when you decide to narrow your focus, then go with it, but the broader experience will always be good to have, in my opinion.

What he said. :D

Hey...there are worse things to be obessesed with. ;)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So you are obesses with it, does it bother you doubt it so go on about your business and hopefully they will too

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Flying Crane has got it pretty much right!! You are clearly not yet ready to "settle" and that is OK. As I said on a previous post, I trained as many Internal arts as I could find for a while.(I must admit I did not train any external arts). My teacher always said it was OK to cross train, but to always remember your roots. It may be that you have not yet decided which roots you will develop. I now only train Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan and Zhan Zhuang/ I-Chuan. Of course saying that I only train Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan means that as part of the system, I also train Sword (68 forms), Sabre (13 forms), Push Hands and Applications. Now, I can have a surface knowledge of all these or if I work really hard, begin to get an in depth knowledge of all these. I used to think I had a good knowledge but my teacher keeps showing me how little I really know and how much I still have to learn. I now do not have time to take on board any other system, my life is too short!! I want to excell at what I do. Having said that, everything else I learned in my 17 years of the other internal arts has stood me in good stead. It has given me the knowledge to know what is good and what is bad. It has given me the ability to get rid of "Monkey Brain". It may be that your present Sifu is aware of your restlessness and may not be willing to expend time and effort giving you the "in depth" stuff if he thinks you intend to move onto another system!!!! I have found that Sifu's (at least the real ones, which I suspect yours is) place great store on loyalty, they do not demand respect, but appreciate it when a student gives it. Just a thought. Anyway, keep us posted and as always, I enjoy your insights and posts.

Very best wishes

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
After much thought....

TCPC, I like it, and it is definitely what I had years ago and what have again right now.

My first sifu gave me a lot of exposure to multiple CMA systems and it was great. And I for about 9 years all I did was Yang Style Tai Chi and I was rather happy with it, but as just about all that responded here know my sifu changed (hopefully changing back).

But since then I have come to the conclusion, after much obsessing since I posted this, that I am not entirely trusting that he will continue. I know how class was and I know how it became and I know what it is right now and those are 3 different things. So I feel that is part of this obsession for Various CMA styles.

But then Wu style popped up a few times and I began to remember when I did it for a bit a while back and I began to wonder if I should not have stuck with it, since it apparently over ran every other Tai Chi form I did. And then of course someone (a person whom shall remain nameless) called me obsessed

And after much thought I do feel that it would definitely only enhance my Yang style and the WU sifu and I have been talking and I might go try a class soon. Unlike Yang it seems to focus on internal training very early in the learning process.

I will just have to relax, wait and see. I think what it also might be is I had TCPC years ago and it went away, and nothing against it, it was pretty cool at the time, but I am not that happy it is back, of course I had MUCH more free time back when I was afflicted before. Also my wife's background continues to ask "Why so many? Why not focus on one?"

What he said.

Hey...there are worse things to be obessesed with.

True... but then this whole DAMN thing is your fault anyway isn't it? :)

Just kidding, you are right there are worse things to be obsessed about.

So you are obesses with it, does it bother you doubt it so go on about your business and hopefully they will too

This from the UPWE.... :)

Seriously, make sense, thanks Terry.

Xue Sheng,

Flying Crane has got it pretty much right!! You are clearly not yet ready to "settle" and that is OK. As I said on a previous post, I trained as many Internal arts as I could find for a while.(I must admit I did not train any external arts). My teacher always said it was OK to cross train, but to always remember your roots. It may be that you have not yet decided which roots you will develop. I now only train Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan and Zhan Zhuang/ I-Chuan. Of course saying that I only train Traditional Yang Family Taijiquan means that as part of the system, I also train Sword (68 forms), Sabre (13 forms), Push Hands and Applications. Now, I can have a surface knowledge of all these or if I work really hard, begin to get an in depth knowledge of all these. I used to think I had a good knowledge but my teacher keeps showing me how little I really know and how much I still have to learn. I now do not have time to take on board any other system, my life is too short!! I want to excell at what I do. Having said that, everything else I learned in my 17 years of the other internal arts has stood me in good stead. It has given me the knowledge to know what is good and what is bad. It has given me the ability to get rid of "Monkey Brain". It may be that your present Sifu is aware of your restlessness and may not be willing to expend time and effort giving you the "in depth" stuff if he thinks you intend to move onto another system!!!! I have found that Sifu's (at least the real ones, which I suspect yours is) place great store on loyalty, they do not demand respect, but appreciate it when a student gives it. Just a thought. Anyway, keep us posted and as always, I enjoy your insights and posts.

Very best wishes

Here is the thing I did settle, many years ago, and the Monkey mind went away and has apparently come back, you have to watch those monkeys, they will apparently sneak up on you, leap at you from the trees and such.

Also my sifu did teach me depth and is again but something inside keeps saying something is missing, something is not right and I have to go find it, I just wish I knew what it was. And I do know the goal, I just am not quite sure how to get there.

Oh and the boss said it was ok to go check out a Wu class.
Thanks to all.

EDIT:

I don&#8217;t think I ever listed the styles I have trained before (some just forms from those styles, not entire systems), talk about monkey mind.... I really need to settle down... I'm old.

Chinese Styles: Yang Tai Chi (with some Tung style mixed in), Chen Tai Chi, Wu Tai Chi, Shaolin Long Fist, Wing Chun, Bagua, Xingyi, and a brush with Zhaobao Tai Chi

Japanese styles: Jujitsu, Karate

Korean Styles: Tae kwon do

I will also lost Southern Mantis only because I was exposed to it and I did learn something from it. It exposed me to a beating and I learned to be very very cautious when sparring a Southern mantis person.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

I spent many years looking for the "Golden Key". The key that would automatically open the door to the secret room that held the kernel of the Internal Arts. I didn't know what that kernel was, but I knew it was there if only someone would show me. I spend lots of money and time on books, videos and seminars always hoping that the next one would be it. It took me a long time to realise it doesn't exist :erg:. I tried many doors, some with bright lights and sparklies with guys giving me a smile and a hand shake saying come on in, I'll show you what your looking for. Only to find that once I was in, the room was empty. What I didn't realise was, that the door was there all the time, I just couldn't see it for all these other good looking doors. I found that the door had a notice that said "patience, dedication and hard work". Can I ask you to look again at the article I posted before on this board and to ask yourelf honestly, which level you reckon your on. http://www.uswushuacademy.com/articles/Five Skill Levels.htm

You WILL find what your looking for and like me you will probably realise that its been there all the time, you just couldn't see it.

Very best wishes

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

I spent many years looking for the "Golden Key". The key that would automatically open the door to the secret room that held the kernel of the Internal Arts. I didn't know what that kernel was, but I knew it was there if only someone would show me. I spend lots of money and time on books, videos and seminars always hoping that the next one would be it. It took me a long time to realise it doesn't exist :erg:. I tried many doors, some with bright lights and sparklies with guys giving me a smile and a hand shake saying come on in, I'll show you what your looking for. Only to find that once I was in, the room was empty. What I didn't realise was, that the door was there all the time, I just couldn't see it for all these other good looking doors. I found that the door had a notice that said "patience, dedication and hard work". Can I ask you to look again at the article I posted before on this board and to ask yourelf honestly, which level you reckon your on. http://www.uswushuacademy.com/articles/Five Skill Levels.htm

You WILL find what your looking for and like me you will probably realise that its been there all the time, you just couldn't see it.

Very best wishes

Thanks, and you could be right.

But I am fairly certain I am not looking for a golden key or the secret room or any short cut at all. I know it takes hard work, I have been at Yang Tai Chi for 12 years, CMA for 15 and TMA for over 30 and I have learned a lot and still am learning and have a lot left to learn.

It is just that there is something missing, could be a number of things, I have done work on both the internal and external. And it could be that something will just pop, could be I am due for a bit more understanding.

But it could also be lack of trust on my part as well. I am not 100% certain my sifu will continue as he is or go back to what he was doing when he lost all of his senior students.

Also I have liked Xingyi since I first read about it when I was 13 and then when I was able to train it I enjoyed it and I enjoy it now and Sanda is just plain fun. I also liked Wu style when I did it way back when.

And back when I started CMA and decided to pursue a single style and stop the multi-style training I first picked Xingyi or Chen and found no teachers I then looked for Wu and found no teacher and I basically found my Yang Sifu by accident, and I was happy to find him.

And after much training and much reading I also find I am not sure if training external effects internal or not and that is a lot of what I am trying to figure out right now as well. Those old Chinese masters just may be right after all, I'm just not sure.

But I have to focus again on no more than 2 styles, if for no other reason than time. Time is a premium, I'm to busy to do justice to training more than 2 styles for much longer and I'm getting older and it is getting harder to do as well.

Sanda is just in the beginning stages and incredibly traditional training (surprisingly) and Xingyi has just returned, but Yang style has been with me for 12 years so to be honest, I am not that concerned about whether or not I actually get to my Sifu’s class at this time. We are reviewing for the others in the class. If he decides to review the 2 person form I would be more concerned about it or if he decides to teach me Tung's fast form or staff I would be very interested or for that matter if I could just get a push hands group going again it would be good to. It may be he currently is offering nothing to keep me interested. Review is good but prior to my leaving I had reviewed for 2 years, but for at least 1.5 years of that we had a pretty decent push hands group. But the review was to get his new advanced group up to par and now 3 years later they still are not there. They simply do not practice much or at all outside of class and now we still review and there is no push hands group.

This to could be part of my obsession with training other styles, for the most part what I train at his school now I train on my own at home and more. The 15 weeks is almost up and I am waiting to see what he plans for the next 15 (he works in 15 week sessions). But I left before due to disgust and anger and I have returned to his class but it may just be time to leave and move on or go my own way, I am not sure. And to be painfully honest if I do go to train Wu I can still train and will train Yang style on my own and do it justice.

And I am realizing this post, the responses and my responding are helping me figure this out. I had not thought of what I just typed before.

My sifu is very skilled and he does have more to teach me, but right now it is review for the others in class that, to be honest, they practice little or none outside of class. He does work with me afterwards on some things and gets it greater depth (like he did before he changed) and I am getting a lot of verbal history, which is great and I find very interesting but it may be time to go, not out of anger or disgust but just because it is time.

It could also be that the style for me is Northern Wu, I don't know.

But I am fairly certain I am not looking for some deep dark secret to be revealed to me. Tai Chi takes time a lot of time, and it is basic hard work in both internal and external training are needed but that is not the same external training as one would do for Shaolin or Sanda for that matter.

And there are those that train multiple styles and do rather well, athough I doubt I am one of them.

Time will tell.

East Winds

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

You have a very understanding Sifu if he is allowing you to go and work with another teacher. Of course, he knows you will return to him in time:asian:.

I have found that Sifu's generally give us what we need and of course that is not always necessarily what we want.

Very best wishes

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

You have a very understanding Sifu if he is allowing you to go and work with another teacher. Of course, he knows you will return to him in time:asian:.

All he asks are 2 things. (1) never train with my first sifu again, he does not like him at all (2) do not show anyone the fast form or the Tung Hu Ling jain form.

And he has asked me on a few ocassions to show him the Xingyi I have learned. And if I do go train Wu I will tell him and my guess is he will want to see what I have learned.

I have found that Sifu's generally give us what we need and of course that is not always necessarily what we want.

True

:asian:

Latest Discussions