• New material to learn

• A tournament in sight

• Testing for a belt

• Friends pushing you

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Kenpomachine

I am curious about the things that keep you going when you are feeling bad about your training and kenpo, maybe, even thinking about quitting.
Last time, it was the work out for me. Being able to disconect from everything, even kenpo, while working and sweating, gave me the room I needed to enjoy what I was doing, although the performance was "dead".

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah- when I am down- a good workout pulls me up for the most part.......but also learning something new- something to work on and keep my mind going.

:karate: :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When the rest of the world gets me down, if I go train or teach, my mind has to focus on right there, right then, and the rest of my worries drop away for a little while. If I work out hard enough, I even get some sublimation and endorphine release, which is nature's own antidepressent and pain killer.

When you are bummed about Kenpo, or stuck in your training, try to get a lesson with your teacher, or go to a seminar, sometimes watching a tape is enough to give you some ideas and re-inspire you.

We all go through plateaus of learning, and sometimes it is a long time between upward jumps, the higher you get, the longer it takes to recognize improvement in yourself. Tape yourself and critique yourself as if you were teaching someone else.

And most important of all, realize no matter how much we love Christmas the holidays, the end of the year, etc., all create more stress us now which could go over into your practices. It is normal to have ups and downs.

Keep in touch,
-Michael

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I am feeling down, I start working with a partner and as soon as I hear a technique being ripped properly I am pumpe again. Sometimes this has worked when I wasn't the person training, it has worked a few times when teaching and then hearing a student bang off a technique with great skill and enthusiasm gets me back ontop of the world again.

OP
K

kenpo12

Usually a good workout will do it but sometimes just watching an action movie will do it too! LOL!

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Knowing how much better I'm going to feel after the work out, that and getting my mind off of what ever for a while.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by satans.barber
I can't see lager in the list? :confused:

Ian.

Lager as in beer?
I don't drink alcohol, so I didn't think of it. But you still got the Other option, don't you?

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Most of the people have replied that when down, it's a good workout what keeps them/us going and not new material.

How is it then that schools in which you have to work hard have the highest drop rate of all?

Why the fuss about how many techniques and the arrangements to have material for higher degrees of black belt?

Do belts only act as a motivator for people being *happy*? Why do have a belt system them?

Anyone has some ideas?

Lucía

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

a good workout. that is the only way you can put out all the angers.

i normally go to the park and have a cold, icy COKE and a sizzler steak.

treat myself nice and go back to a normal life

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wanted to vote for more than one thing, but settled for the "Hard Workout" option. All those options have helped me focus at different times in my career, and they will continue to do so.

Hope your Kenpo is starting to pick you up, rather than you having to pick it up. Wait a minute, is it the other way around?

-Michael

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Michael Billings
I wanted to vote for more than one thing,

I don't know how to do the multiple options... but then, I didn't read much the options available. :rolleyes:

but settled for the "Hard Workout" option. All those options have helped me focus at different times in my career, and they will continue to do so.

Hope your Kenpo is starting to pick you up, rather than you having to pick it up. Wait a minute, is it the other way around?

-Michael

The only problem I see right now with me and kenpo is lack of rythm: I can't seem to be able to manage 2-3 months of regular work or much continuity... (running out of air trying to work with intensity is not funny, :lol:) But hey, the car crash I've been involved was not my fault :S

But the poll came as genuine curiosity about how the people overcame their plateaus/lows. There may be people out there, either students or instructors, that have been there or know somebody who had. So maybe they have some ideas (the other option) that may be useful for someone.

And as a side note, in the class I go to, most of the new people (the overwhelming majority) prefer also the instructor which gives a harder workout. Not usually so hard, though ;)

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
When I'm down, I focus on my goals. I intend to teach, and I'm hoping to get my own school up and running by the end of 2004. When I get to where I just don't want to do any more, I think about my school.

--Dave

:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Unfortunately, most people do not like an extremely strenuous work out. Many years ago, at the scholl I was at, if the HI left one particular instructor in charge (he needed his teaching hours), the ENTIRE class would be an extremely strenuous warmup. I finally told the HI that if I wanted an aerobics class, I'd sign up for aerobics. When I was a mere student or an instructor working for someone else, simply getting into class was enough for me to leave the world at the door and have an immediate pick up. As a school owner, I leave my day to day issues at the door and pick up a whole new set when I go in. In 2004 I am taking steps to resolve it. I am turning over the day to day issues that drive me insane to the school manager and am not going to micromanage everything. By concentrating on teaching and not on attendance and finances, I hope to renew my passion.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another pick-me-up at times, is my teacher's expectations of me. If he is waxing and waining, it is hard to keep yourself going. If he or she expects you to meet certain standards, in terms of your own personal growth in the art, it helps keep you on the edge, or at least heading in the right direction.

It is hard to keep yourself motivated in a vacuum, another good reason to participate in forums like MartialTalk, KenpoNet, etc.

-Michael

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Another pick-me-up at times, is my teacher's expectations of me. If he is waxing and waining, it is hard to keep yourself going. If he or she expects you to meet certain standards, in terms of your own personal growth in the art, it helps keep you on the edge, or at least heading in the right direction.

Yes, I agree with this last. And also the instructor telling from time to time that you're doing fine. Even the new students get the interest of the instructor about them progressing and are able to perform much better or give 110% :)

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by Seig
As a school owner, I leave my day to day issues at the door and pick up a whole new set when I go in. In 2004 I am taking steps to resolve it. I am turning over the day to day issues that drive me insane to the school manager and am not going to micromanage everything. By concentrating on teaching and not on attendance and finances, I hope to renew my passion.

I hope all goes well with the management delegating. Here in Spain is common that martial arts classes are given in gyms, so the owner of the gym is the one managing the financial issues, as well as any problems with electricity, etc.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It is definately my friends and seeing them progress. Makes me work that much harder.

OP
L

LadyDragon

Personally, alot of these things all factor in for me. For me being at the dojo is liking being with my second family. We all push each other on, the work outs are fun, but you push your limits, and learning something new of course just adds even more to it all. So I wouldn't be able to pick just one thing off that poll.