Kenpo and Work and Family and.....!!!

OP
P

pineapple head

Originally posted by brianhunter

The big balancing act!!!

I am curious as to what everyone does for a career, job etc. and how they balance it with kenpo??? I have had a hard time juggling family, work, and kenpo lately and I seem to be getting a little stressed about it!
How understanding are your spouses? What have you done when your schedule gets turned upside down at work every month? When you finally even out how have you eased back in???

I have tippy toed around the house at 1am going thru forms or gotten up at 5 am just to go thru techniques before work...how have youguys dealt with it?!?!?!?!?

i can really relate to this one....
I have a small business , two kids and a (wait for it) WIFE....

Since i started Kenpo it has more or less been a full time passtime although training is only twice a week.
I work long hours and try to devote as much time as possible to the kids , i dont want them to grow up wondering where i was when they were young.
Thing you have to realise that your family must always come first , they are the most important thing in your life and and always will be.
Try to balance Kenpo sensibly , in the holidays i try to cut my training down a bit to spend more time taking the kids to the beach and places on the evenings.
In the winter when the little terrors are in bed by 7.00 , train til your hearts content...opps! i forgot im married.She will want me to stay home.Well , buy her one of those needle and thread things , you know where you make pictures in the circle , they spend hours doing them.Tell her she is very good at it and buy her two more , you will find she never cares if your in or not..:roflmao:
Take care.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by pineapple head

you will find she never cares if your in or not..:roflmao:

Take care.

Neither will her boyfriend...dude, pay more attention to your wife (which I'm sure you do)...I just spent 5 yrs training hard and not pay as much attention as I should and taking the fact that we're married for granted...It makes them resent the art. Trust me I know...but I'm trying to make up for it now...

jb :asian:

p.s. the statement above is truely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I'm just trying to save you the agony of someone who's trained for a while and the countless others who couldn't balance it and lost what they really loved the most...

OP
P

pineapple head

Thanks for the advice ....i know sometimes i come in and out , briefly speaking to my wife.
I too found out lately that she hated Kenpo , Kenpo was her enemy , until i started to give a little more than i was taking.
Now she is fine about me training.

How do you get the quotes on the bottom ????

OP
P

pineapple head

HOLD ON.....
The in out thing was relating to me arriving home before anyone starts.....:)

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by pineapple head

Thanks for the advice ....i know sometimes i come in and out , briefly speaking to my wife.
I too found out lately that she hated Kenpo , Kenpo was her enemy , until i started to give a little more than i was taking.
Now she is fine about me training.

How do you get the quotes on the bottom ????

Click on the "User CP" button at the top. Edit your profile, and
look for "signature" .. there'll be a box there for you to put your
own quote in. :asian:

- MT Mod -

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmmmm.... how do I fit kenpo into my life....?

my schedule:

4:00 am. Get up.
5:00 am. Leave for work
7:00 am arrive at work
3:30 pm leave work
5:30 pm arrive home, start working on websites for people
6:30 pm leave house for karate
9:00 pm arrive home, continue web work
9:30 pm sleep

somehow I have to fit boyfriend time and friend time in there.

my day is spent generally dealing with annoying talent who think they're more important than they are, because even though they're nobodies working on a city cable television station, they want to be treated like movie stars. (No, I'm not going to run two miles to the grocery store just because you want Evian water and we supplied Dasani. If you're thirsty, drink it.) Its worse than babysitting. LOL.

I fit in kenpo because I have to. Its the only thing that keeps me sane.

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by nightingale8472

I fit in kenpo because I have to. Its the only thing that keeps me sane.

I know how THAT goes!

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

4:00 am. Get up.
5:00 am. Leave for work
7:00 am arrive at work
3:30 pm leave work
5:30 pm arrive home, start working on websites for people
6:30 pm leave house for karate
9:00 pm arrive home, continue web work
9:30 pm sleep

Four hours commuting a day?? That's got to be tough, if it were me I think I'd try and work closer to home! I know it's not always possible though :(

Ian.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jbkenpo

Neither will her boyfriend...dude, pay more attention to your wife (which I'm sure you do)...I just spent 5 yrs training hard and not pay as much attention as I should and taking the fact that we're married for granted...It makes them resent the art. Trust me I know...but I'm trying to make up for it now...

jb :asian:

p.s. the statement above is truely a case of the pot calling the kettle black, but I'm just trying to save you the agony of someone who's trained for a while and the countless others who couldn't balance it and lost what they really loved the most...

Man, you're singing my song! I used to train in American Kenpo 3 nights a week, I would have done more but the school only did 3 nights, and it was more than an hour each way. My wife hated American Kenpo. She liked some of the people but hated the art.

I changed styles and now do Ryukyu Kempo, it's a full time school. 5 nights a week + weekends, I couldn't get enough! She sprang it on me, she was leaving, bags packed the works. We talked, I compromised, 3 nights a week maximum, + a few hours on Sunday when she's at work. Oh and she tolerates the Saturday, every 3 months for the gradings.

Oh and just for record, I am a warehouse assistant.
--Dave

:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No children were involved, and looking back, I think, she was just trying to end the marriage; but, I was given a Kenpo or her ultimatum. I wonder what she is doing now?:)
Sean

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No children were involved, and looking back, I think, she was just trying to end the marriage; but, I was given a Kenpo or her ultimatum. I wonder what she is doing now?:)
Sean
Perhaps with a NON martial artist?
icon7.gif

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Things that you are passionate about just become part of your life and you find time for them. It's important to remember that the journey in MA is over a lifetime so it's ok when time is sometimes sparse. When you have an injury, work commitments, new baby, sick family member, then those things take priority. You'll do what you can for training and get back to when you can. Lifetime. Also, it's important to do what you love. My husband does triathalons, so he tries to train when I have classes. You don't need to do the same things to understand the other's passions. I am happier which means we are happier when I can train. And vice versa. It's the journey, not the end point.

Latest Discussions