Kenpo and Work and Family and.....!!!

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I use a computer minimally at work, but I paint aircraft for the NAVY, so I cant relate to the computer/kenpo connection, however, I can relate to the stresses of juggling a hectic schedule and still train. I work graveyards, I get off at 7am, go to the weight room until 830am, an hour drive home, shower, and in bed by 1030am. Wake up at 230, pick the kids up from schoolat 315, hang with them until 5 when the wife gets home. We eat, then I head to the garage around 6, work kenpo, stick, knife, until 830, another shower, hang out with the kids and wife until 915, off to work, and start it all over again. With in these hours, I also have to work time into take the kids to scouts, football, soccer, band practice, and depending on the time of year, baseball and basketball. Kenpo time is usually sacrificed to attend games. Saturdays are filled with honey-do's and daddy-do's, occasional overtime, and helping out at a friends shop. Sunday is Kenpo day, pretty much all morning, and early afternoon. I try to get caught up on some sleep on sunday, but it never works out that way, lol. Oh well, like the old saying goes, "we'll have plenty of time to sleep when we are dead".

Gary Catherman, Kenpoist.

OP
R

RCastillo

I'm a school teacher, so I'm lucky with my schedule. Even with summers basically off (about 2 months),I still kinda have to work summers because of expenses that pop up durring the time off. (Two of my past summers jobs have dealt with teaching Kenpo)

Anyway, since I teach a class on Tue/Thur, and now Sat as well, I get some work in with my students when possible. The days I'm off, I'll lift, or run, and work in other days on the weekends.

My wife has always been VERY understanding, and VERY supportive, so no issues there. I don't know how I did it before when I coached High School sports for 11 years.

Family as a whole is not an issue as my wife, and daughter are also school teachers, and my son is starting college, so no little ones to worry about.

Now, my biggest problem it seems is trying to keep the TKD alive, along with Kenpo, and Tai Chi, and HOUSEWORK!

:eek:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just let that TKD go Ricardo. Trust me, you have been doing it long enough that the pieces that are valuable will stay with you and become part of your Kenpo. They do not have to be separate Arts as Kenpo encompasses everything except the Olympic sparring, that TKD offers. Kicking set just looks that much better with head high kicks ... remember it is just a set and we don't have to fight that way.

Way too many irons in the fire for a laid back kinda school teacher with only 3 arts, kids, classes, and housework to keep those free moments busy.

Whew, and I thought I was the busiest man I knew.

-Michael
UKS-Texas

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by tonbo

Ya know, I have a theory as to why there are so many computer geeks here in the Kenpo forum....it goes something like this:

The IT/computer field requires a certain degree of technical skill, blended with analytical thinking. So does Kenpo. There's a lot of having to figure out *why* things work, not just *how* they work, in both areas. Seems like a natural fit.

Am I just up in the night? Anyway, that theory is based on some conversations I have had with other chip-heads who are into Kenpo, as well as my own personal views, so.....

:confused:

Peace--

I have a computer in my patrol car does that count?? :confused:

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by tonbo

Ya know, I have a theory as to why there are so many computer geeks here in the Kenpo forum....it goes something like this:

The IT/computer field requires a certain degree of technical skill, blended with analytical thinking. So does Kenpo. There's a lot of having to figure out *why* things work, not just *how* they work, in both areas. Seems like a natural fit.

Am I just up in the night? Anyway, that theory is based on some conversations I have had with other chip-heads who are into Kenpo, as well as my own personal views, so.....

:confused:

Peace--

I could've cared less about computers until I got one, and when Windows 3.1 crashed on my new computer, it set another whole ball of wax into motion that has been perpetually upgraded and evolved. I now build computers for myself and my coworkers and love every minute of it. I do love it when you flip the switch and it posts the very first time with no wierd squeals or beeps that you have to look up the codes for ;). Kinda like getting a technique off in the ideal phase during spontaneity drills. After that the hard part starts, loading programs and getting everything straight with the updates and BIOS flashing and such. That's analogous to exploring forms and techniques and tweaking them so they work just right and don't get a BSOD (blue screen of death) like reorbiting unintentional motion.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe the reason there are so many kenpo people here who are computer literate is that they are not training or practicing like they should!
Some of the technical posts are kewl, but all the bantering is pretty useless, unless this is social hour!

:soapbox:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by kenpochip

I develop software too. There probably is some analytical attraction to kenpo. The other thing about this forum, is it will tend to attract the subset of kenpoists who are into computers, since it requires that one USE a computer to be on the forum in the first place.

Seig, did you work in Ashburn? I live near that campus.

Chip
Chip,
I started out in Pinellas Park, got promoted and transferred to Pentagon City, from their I did indeed go to Ashburn. I left the Ashburn campus and went to Chantilly briefly before I was given my box. Hopefully, I will be back in Ashburn at the NVCJA in the next few months.

OP
T

tonbo

Maybe the reason there are so many kenpo people here who are computer literate is that they are not training or practicing like they should!

I don't necessarily see it as an either/or relationship.

In today's world, you pretty much *need* to be at least *somewhat* computer literate. The more savvy you are, the better you can do things yourself and not get ripped off by people who want to sell you "what you need".

As far as not training or practicing like I should, well....I do quite well, thanks. I fit Kenpo in to as much of my day as I can. However, I *work* in the computer industry. I get a lot of practice on my computer stuff at work.....but I am not always allowed to practice my Kenpo at work. The reverse is pretty much true at home: more time for Kenpo, but I can do computer stuff if I need/want to.

According to Ed Parker, Elvis once told him that music was his (Elvis') first love, but if he weren't doing that, he'd be doing MA full time. I consider myself along those same lines, but with computers instead. I make time for both, since they are both important. I don't dedicate all my time to training in MA since I am neither a full-time warrior/bodyguard/samurai/assassin/etc., nor can I afford to make a living off of it right now.

In terms of the rant, I would suggest maybe a little less caffeine? :D

And hey....can't social hour also provide deep insight? What's wrong with banter, or did Martial Talk switch to only allowing comments from people who never smile and only (ONLY) train MA? I kinda liked the diversity.....:D

Finally, to brianhunter: Yeah, having a computer in your patrol car counts...:)

:asian:

Peace--

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Roland

Some of the technical posts are kewl, but all the bantering is pretty useless, unless this is social hour!

You really need to get a clue there bud!!!!

Clyde

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Roland! Dude! Get a grip! This is a forum! To be on the keyboard and posting here makes it always "social hour"!

Dan

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Sigung86

Roland! Dude! Get a grip! This is a forum! To be on the keyboard and posting here makes it always "social hour"!

Dan

Exactly! When I can't train in kenpo, I'm thinking about it!!!
Forums are great for learning, and talking about it!

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I can understand people spending time on their computers to do work and peraonal research, especially in this day and age.
And I understand social hour pretty good too.
But I would think that Kenpo should be a little more hands on and a little less talk. I just become bothered by the few who are all talk and so little action.
As far as using forums and Net meetings and other stuff to augment our training, I think that is great, but I wonder if some of us here are taking that a little too seriously.
Not much of a caffine drinker myself, maybe I need to change that to keep up with everyone else here, huh?

Clyde, looking over my previous post I can see why you might take offense, don't!

OP
T

tonbo

But I would think that Kenpo should be a little more hands on and a little less talk. I just become bothered by the few who are all talk and so little action.

Okay, I'm confused......so how do we have more action and less talk in a...uh...martial arts *forum*? Should we be more like rec.martial-arts and call each other out? Now *that* is absurd. No thanks.

When I train, I train 100%. When I discuss my art, I put all I can into a discussion. If I seek advice from someone, I want the same in return. I don't see many people here who are "all talk and little action". Some are full of air, but they generally don't stick around long.

Ease up a bit, Roland. We talk here, but I think a good number of the people here walk the walk, too.

Caffeine is good, by the way, but it has its place, and it ain't for everyone.....

Peace--

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I can understand people spending time on their computers to do work and peraonal research, especially in this day and age.
And I understand social hour pretty good too.
As far as using forums and Net meetings and other stuff to augment our training, I think that is great, but I wonder if some of us here are taking that a little too seriously.
Not much of a caffine drinker myself, maybe I need to change that to keep up with everyone else here, huh?

Clyde, looking over my previous post I can see why you might take offense, don't!

C'mon Paul... KENPO is everything, and Elvis is still the King...

Sing it Baby!!!

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

C'mon Paul... KENPO is everything, and Elvis is still the King...

Sing it Baby!!!

Speaking of Elvis everyone knows what today is don't they???
happy friday by the way!!!!!

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with you on this stuff man.

Oh, and I kinda lied, about the caffeine thing.
Coffee I do not like at all!!!
But...........chocolate covered coffee beans are the bomb man.
Had a major christmas experience with those once.

OP
V

vincefuess

I am a manufacturer's rep/ consultant involved with industrial air quality. Paint spray booths, dust collectors, air cleaners, ventilation systems, heating systems, and process ovens. Guess that explains the hot air.

Kenpo keeps me centered. Blow some steam, make some progress, and feel good at the end of a taxing day. The current extent of my training is trying to teach Kenpo to my wife and daughter...

Latest Discussions