People favor TKD, not Kenpo

R

RCastillo

Where I live, TKD thrives, but Kenpo, and other arts do not. Why is TKD so popular?

Now, I have been in TKD for many years, and have enjoyed immensely, plus I feel it helped me tremendously to pick up Kenpo better, but have found Kenpo to be more practical for pure self defense which address more than TKD ever could.

Yet, when I talk to people about the arts, they go for TKD first. What amazes me even more, is when I talk to others about Ed Parker, they know nothing of him. I am at a loss to understand.

Of course, where I live, South Texas is weird anyway. I understand Kenpo does better elsewhere.

Your take on this?

Respects to you!:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

In the 80's TKD exploded on the scene all over North America and is well know because of its Olympic exposure. As a Kenpo practioner it is your responsibility to educate people on the practicality and benefits of kenpo. Kenpo has not had the worldwide exposure TKD did. If presented properly you will have more people seeing the light.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Back in the late 60's and 70's tkd ruled texas.
Many good competitors came out of Texas and they where fighters in those days. Not saying there not today just don't here about them on a national level as much today.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Effective marketing, kid-friendliness, sport aspect, and frequent and rapid belt promotion.

The local TKD school has infinitely more students than the JKD school at which I study--but surely isn't giving the students the same self-defense knowledge that many are presumably, or putatively, there for. Why? It's harder, it's not belt- or sport-oriented, it isn't marketed as aggressively, and it isn't as welcoming and inviting for kids and their parents due to its emphasis on realistic training.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TKD is much easier for people to pick up and understand. Kenpo is much more time consuming and more details to understand.
Advancement comes easier for the TKD practioner than the kenpo one.

Because of this I don't really get how kenpo schools even stay in buisness very long. It's got to be hard to keep people interested in it when your probably not going to get your black belt before 5 years. In TKD you'd probably get it in 2 1/2 to 3 years.

I did TKD for a long time and have now gone over to kenpo and I really enjoy it.

IMHO

:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by arnisador

The local TKD school has infinitely more students than the JKD school at which I study--but surely isn't giving the students the same self-defense knowledge that many are presumably, or putatively, there for. Why? It's harder, it's not belt- or sport-oriented, it isn't marketed as aggressively, and it isn't as welcoming and inviting for kids and their parents due to its emphasis on realistic training.

Maybe there's a reason against this, but if I were a teacher of
JKD, I'd soooo use Bruce in my marketing!

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by RCastillo

Where I live, TKD thrives, but Kenpo, and other arts do not. Why is TKD so popular?

Now, I have been in TKD for many years, and have enjoyed immensely, plus I feel it helped me tremendously to pick up Kenpo better, but have found Kenpo to be more practical for pure self defense which address more than TKD ever could.

Yet, when I talk to people about the arts, they go for TKD first. What amazes me even more, is when I talk to others about Ed Parker, they know nothing of him. I am at a loss to understand.

Of course, where I live, South Texas is weird anyway. I understand Kenpo does better elsewhere.

Your take on this?

Being from your neck of the woods sir, I have a somewhat
unique comment. Corpus is hugely tourist based. I know a ton
of people from out there, that now live here just to get a job
with a decent salary. I've been told that most out there that
have money are senior citizens. Maybe in addition to the over
appeal to TKD in your area (which doesn't surprise me), that this
is an additional problem? There's too many TKD schools to count
where I live, but there's 3 kenpo schools doing just fine. LOTS
of members. (NOTE .. there's no Tracy schools here). :D

OP
R

RCastillo

No surprises there! In a city of almost a million, there's room for all, and then some.

You're right about this area, it's a tourist area, and others have tried sports here on different levels, with little, or no success. Heck, even the one AKKI school went under in due time.

I just can't beat the Koreans and their kiddie student population.

OP
K

Kirk

No surprises there! In a city of almost a million, there's room for all, and then some.

You're right about this area, it's a tourist area, and others have tried sports here on different levels, with little, or no success. Heck, even the one AKKI school went under in due time.

I just can't beat the Koreans and their kiddie student population.

Well, since you're also knowledgeable in TKD, teach TKD to kids,
to get the cash, and Kenpo to the adults?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

Well, since you're also knowledgeable in TKD, teach TKD to kids,
to get the cash, and Kenpo to the adults?

I forgot to add, they're are remnants of Tracy schools there(2 0f them). Kids, no, I'm a school teacher (and former coach ) for 21 years. I don't need mommy/daddy on me. I have enough of that already, along with some Principals that have no guts.

OP
K

Kirk

I forgot to add, they're are remnants of Tracy schools there(2 0f them). Kids, no, I'm a school teacher (and former coach ) for 21 years. I don't need mommy/daddy on me. I have enough of that already, along with some Principals that have no guts.

:rofl: :rofl: Can't fault you there!

What about cardio kickboxing?

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Kirk

:rofl: :rofl: Can't fault you there!

What about cardio kickboxing?

Whoa! No, my next, and final art is Tai Chi. Besides, I can't handle all those babes dancing around, but Gou Ronin could!:D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Richardo

I hate to say it, but ot be even moderately successful in a TKD rich environment you have to teach children. I know the reluctance of teaching children, and I know how daunting it can be. But I will say it now Kenpo techniques are not for children. Teach the forms and sets, sparring, basics and eanything else you want, but the techniques can lead to many problems.

When I say teach children i do not mean babysit them, I mean teach tnem and have their parents know exactly what to expect. I tell parents their job ot to drive their kids to and from class, make sure they have ht kids their on time, and not to speak to the child during class. The parents have to know you are in complete control of the training if they have a problem with it, the door swings out. Anytime you would like some info about creating a program for children email me, I will give you a free copy of an ebook on instructing children in the martial arts.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Richardo

I hate to say it, but ot be even moderately successful in a TKD rich environment you have to teach children. I know the reluctance of teaching children, and I know how daunting it can be. But I will say it now Kenpo techniques are not for children. Teach the forms and sets, sparring, basics and eanything else you want, but the techniques can lead to many problems.

When I say teach children i do not mean babysit them, I mean teach tnem and have their parents know exactly what to expect. I tell parents their job ot to drive their kids to and from class, make sure they have ht kids their on time, and not to speak to the child during class. The parents have to know you are in complete control of the training if they have a problem with it, the door swings out. Anytime you would like some info about creating a program for children email me, I will give you a free copy of an ebook on instructing children in the martial arts.

I agree with you totally.Thanks for your help, Sir! It is greatly appreciated.:asian:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I would keep plugging away at the Kenpo material, in my opinion it is far better than TKD any day of the week and twice on Tuesday.

email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the copy of the ebook, as long the your email account isn't a hotmail acct the file is too big for hotmail

OP
C

Chiduce

TKD is just more popular and has olympic credentials! When i talk to people about kenpo, jeff speakman, or master Parker! They have never heard of any of them or Kenpo. Sincerely, in Humility; Chiduce!

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a school owner my self, but my instructor says he is very happy with all the TKD and "Olympic Karate" schools in his area. He gets about 10-15 new students a year from those schools. Actually, he even said he would love it if one opened next door to him. :D

Also, he's one of those instructors that still interviews prospective new students. IF they don't seem to "fit" into Kenpo, he refers them to the nearest TKD school.:EG:

OP
G

GouRonin

Whoa! No, my next, and final art is Tai Chi. Besides, I can't handle all those babes dancing around, but Gou Ronin could!

It's a gift. I must use it wisely.

As far as the whole TKD thing. I would think that the real reason it is so hugely popular is because a lot of people in your town like @n@l sex. Being bent over and ska-rooed to learn a martial art would be hugely popular then.

:rofl:

OP
V

vincefuess

Just about every martial artist I know started in TKD, including myself. It's funny how most every experienced student who walks through the door of the Kenpo school is coming from TKD, looking for more tools. I bet you don't see many Kenpoists walking into TKD schools for that reason...

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well kiddies, my ex, a greenbelt in AKK, would love to take TKD for her sparring skills. Unforutanly money was an issue and she couldn't, but if you want flash, go TKD! And it not only feels good, it looks good when you take someones head off with a jump spinning hook kick. But I must state that she was looking for the sport application of AKK, not the self defense.

Latest Discussions