The World's 10 Most Dangerous Airlines

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Here are the ten with the worst safety records, including the number of hull losses since 1983, and how many fatalities they caused:
#10 SkyWest Airlines: 3 hull losses; 22 dead
#9 South African Airways: 1 hull loss; 159 dead
#8 Thai Airways International: 5 hull losses; 309 dead
#7 Turkish Airlines: 6 hull losses, 188 dead
#6 Saudia: 4 hull losses; 310 dead
#5 Korean Air: 9 hull losses; 687 dead
#4 GOL Transportes Aéreos: 1 hull loss; 154 dead
#3 Air India: 3 hull losses; 329 dead
#2 TAM Airlines: 6 hull losses; 336 dead
#1 China Airlines: 8 hull losses; 755 dead

Or you could fly on one of the major airlines that go there and avoid any of those listed.... and almost all major carriers go to Africa and Asia

Here are the ten with the worst safety records, including the number of hull losses since 1983, and how many fatalities they caused:
#10 SkyWest Airlines: 3 hull losses; 22 dead
#9 South African Airways: 1 hull loss; 159 dead
#8 Thai Airways International: 5 hull losses; 309 dead
#7 Turkish Airlines: 6 hull losses, 188 dead
#6 Saudia: 4 hull losses; 310 dead

I am confused. The one with the most hull losses and most deaths is not the most dangerous. What are the others doing in the server injury area to get a higher rating?

It appears to be going by the most deaths and the fact that there were hull losses

Xue, Still cnfused.
See below

Korean Air is #5 worst.

But GOL has only 1 hull loss and only 154 dead. So does this take into affect flying hours? Number of planes?

Air India is also less than Korean Air with only 3 hull losses and only 329 dead.

TAM does have 6 hull losses but that is still less than 9. As the 336 is less than 687 dead.

China Air has one less hull so it is close but still one less. And yes the 755 does exceed the 687 for Korean Air. But if deaths weight that much then Korean Air should be number 2 and not 5.

Do you understand my confusion now?

Xue, Still cnfused.
See below

Korean Air is #5 worst.

But GOL has only 1 hull loss and only 154 dead. So does this take into affect flying hours? Number of planes?

Air India is also less than Korean Air with only 3 hull losses and only 329 dead.

TAM does have 6 hull losses but that is still less than 9. As the 336 is less than 687 dead.

China Air has one less hull so it is close but still one less. And yes the 755 does exceed the 687 for Korean Air. But if deaths weight that much then Korean Air should be number 2 and not 5.

Do you understand my confusion now?

Yes I do but I still think China Airlines is still #1 on the list. As for the placement of the others, now I'm confused too

I have actually flown with China Airlines and most certainly would do so again. The chances of dying flying with these airlines is still less than the chance of being killed by lightning.

An estimated 24,000 people are killed by lightning strikes around the world each year and about 240,000 are injured. [5] In the United States, it is the #2 weather killer (second only to floods).[6] In the US, between 9% and 10% of those struck die,[7] for an average of 40 to 50 deaths per year (28 in 2008).[8] The odds of an average person living in the US being struck by lightning in a given year is 1/1,000,000, while the odds of being struck by lightning in a lifetime is 1/10,000 (estimated lifespan of 80 years).

If you are flying on one of the top 25 airlines in the world, your odds of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 10.46 million. These are the airlines you find in the US, Europe, Japan, Canada, etc.

If you are flying on one of the worst 25 airlines in the world, your odds of dying in a plane crash are 1 in 723,819. These airlines will generally be in 3rd-world countries.

Deciding which airline has the worst overall safety record depends entirely on how you define 'worst'. Arguably the most illuminating measurement to use is Adjusted Fatal Event calculation. This adjusts the number of air crashes depending on the percentage of passengers that died in them. To give an example, say an airline has two accidents. In the first, all passengers die, while in the second only half die. The Adjusted Fatal Event figure for this airline would be 1.5.

Using this measurement (and, frankly, pretty much any other measurement) for airlines that there is reliable crash data for, the worst safety record belongs to Cubana. According to the figures provided by OAGback Aviation Solutions for flights taken between 1985 and 2009, there were eight fatal accidents on 320,000 Cubana flights in that period. That's two more accidents than any other airline, and with far fewer flights taken than almost all other major airlines.
http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/holidaytype/weird/7939387/airlines-with-the-worst-safety-records

I would say that in order to be fair, these numbers would need to be adjusted for number of passengers and/or number of miles flown.

I have actually flown with China Airlines and most certainly would do so again. The chances of dying flying with these airlines is still less than the chance of being killed by lightning.

OK But what about flying China Airlines and being killed by lightning... on a leap year :D

OK But what about flying China Airlines and being killed by lightning... on a leap year :D
You know what? I hesitate to say this, but, the thought never crossed my mind! Now I won't sleep for weeks worrying about it. :s499:

Latest Discussions

Back