The weight problem

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No. It just appears that way. If you fight someone with equal skill and equal weapons size will be a determining factor.

If you do drills against unresisting oponants you can drop anybody.

So why did this girl beat this larger guy?

I think you are giving the OP a totally bad impression of what MA is all about People do it for different reasons. No one knows the OPs capabilities apart from the in fact he needs to lose weight. Yet again a stupid video to try and prove a point. I used to do that guys job on the video. The video is partly sensationalism but it's very simple. He can lock her up very easily for what she did with witnesses to prove it and drive away the car. If he put her in a choke he would kill the poor girl. Most people that do that job can handle themselves.

As for fighting and MA. MA does NOT make fighters. People enter MA. Some can fight and have natural ability that you nurture. Others cannot and never will. I have spent many year choosing student that can fight, then they do so even more for a place on a team and have won all Japan Championships. You watch them start out as tiny kids and progress into tough little bastards. Then you try and get them on your team. Its about natural ability. Just because you "do" MA doesn't mean you cant fight either.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you are giving the OP a totally bad impression of what MA is all about People do it for different reasons. No one knows the OPs capabilities apart from the in fact he needs to lose weight. Yet again a stupid video to try and prove a point. I used to do that guys job on the video. The video is partly sensationalism but it's very simple. He can lock her up very easily for what she did with witnesses to prove it and drive away the car. If he put her in a choke he would kill the poor girl. Most people that do that job can handle themselves.

As for fighting and MA. MA does NOT make fighters. People enter MA. Some can fight and have natural ability that you nurture. Others cannot and never will. I have spent many year choosing student that can fight, then they do so even more for a place on a team and have won all Japan Championships. You watch them start out as tiny kids and progress into tough little bastards. Then you try and get them on your team. Its about natural ability. Just because you "do" MA doesn't mean you cant fight either.

How does that in any way relate to what I posted?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And just this as a side note. We take anybody train them for 12 weeks then shove them in the ring. At the end of that period they have all been fighters.

Locals take on 12-week Fight Night challenge

So honestly I think you are wrong there.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The OP did say have fun and learn something. What you doing they used to do at the fairground. "Fight Night" just about sums it up. Not national championships for MA.

You train people for twelve weeks and "Shove them in a ring"? I think you are on the wrong forum. I will reiterate my last post. You are giving the OP a bad impression. But I guess in all your wisdom you wont see that and will post even more YouTubes to prove your point.;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The OP did say have fun and learn something. What you doing they used to do at the fairground. "Fight Night" just about sums it up. Not national championships for MA.

You train people for twelve weeks and "Shove them in a ring"? I think you are on the wrong forum. I will reiterate my last post. You are giving the OP a bad impression. But I guess in all your wisdom you wont see that and will post even more YouTubes to prove your point.;)

Why am I giving the OP a bad impression? Why are you reiterating a post that dosent apply to what i posted?

I will actually reiterate my post. Weight make a difference in martial arts like boxing and wrestling because they are generally matched up with people of similar skill and similar disciplines.

Other martial arts that suggest weight is not as much of a factor match up against lesser skilled people. So the untrained robber against a trained martial artist. Weight can then be less of a factor.

And martial arts like boxing and wrestling spar or do resisted training more than drills. So weight is more of a factor because they fight back

Rather than doing unresisted drills combat scenarios or compliant training where weight becomes less of a factor.

So the reason the black belt in that video beat up that guy is because he let her. So weight there was not a factor.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Wait a minute. The young guys that Drop Bear was talking about wanted to try out their stuff in the ring. It sounded to me like they were totally up for it. And after 12 weeks, they were ready to give it a go. What's wrong with that?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait a minute. The young guys that Drop Bear was talking about wanted to try out their stuff in the ring. It sounded to me like they were totally up for it. And after 12 weeks, they were ready to give it a go. What's wrong with that?

Actually we have had 2 fifty plus guys do it.

It’s time to step into the ring

(They didn't fight each other. It was a father and son thing.)

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
As for fighting and MA. MA does NOT make fighters. People enter MA. Some can fight and have natural ability that you nurture.

Well, what's the point then....why should anyone take up a martial art who doesn't have this 'natural fighting mentality' and they want to learn how to fight.

You've probably guessed it, but I disagree. At my new gym, no matter what your reasons for attending are, if you attend a class then you will be trained in the same way the coaches would train their fighters at that level. If you put in some consistent work (say 4 nights a week for a couple of months) then you will develop better fighting skills than you had before. Now to what degree depends on the person - what classes they attend, how much effort they put in - but with consistent training you're pretty much guaranteed to be better at 'some' element of fighting after a while.

I'm not sure how that fits in with the whole martial arts don't make fighters argument; maybe some don't, but trained the right way, I'd be willing to bet that most do. How good a fighter you become is however, mostly down to you and your approach to training.

I feel like you're trying to say "if you don't have any desire to become a fighter, then training in martial arts won't automatically turn you into one" ... which I'd be more inclined to agree with, but it's different from what you said.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As for fighting and MA. MA does NOT make fighters. People enter MA. Some can fight and have natural ability that you nurture. Others cannot and never will.
Speaking as someone who started out decades ago as very much not a natural fighter - a timid, un-athletic, un-aggressive, physically fearful wuss - I have to disagree.

It's true that some people, through genetics or upbringing, are what you might call "natural" fighters. They're bold, fearless, and ready to scrap. If you are trying to put together a competition team to win championships, then it makes sense to seek out these individuals. You can focus right away on building their physical technique and conditioning without devoting months or years to building their confidence, getting them used to hitting someone hard and being hit, and gradually making them mentally tougher.

I can see the appeal of taking a naturally talented born fighter and molding him into a champion. Personally though, I prefer the accomplishment of taking someone who actually needs martial arts, someone who isn't naturally talented or naturally tough, and building them up to the point where they can handle themselves in a fight. It may take longer, but it feels more worthwhile to me.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another benefit of smaller people taking MA training... if you make friends with the talented folks you are training with and hang out with them regularly (many of us are suckers for someone buying us a beer), then if trouble starts, you can simply step behind your new friends and enjoy the show. ;)

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What I'm trying to say is that "defeating" an attack doesn't necessarily mean knocking them unconscious or tying them up like Batman, and that an attacker isn't necessarily going to put in 100% to try to defeat you. If someone's looking for an easy mark, or is cowardly, they may back off when you provide resistance, even if they're bigger than you.

This is a very good point, which I think has been largely glossed over. Again, I can't speak to every situation, but from my few minor scraps, as well as the more frequent ones I've witnessed, most violent and psuedo violent confrontations are water-hole dominance dances or people trying to get a few quick bucks out of you with minimal fuss.

A guy and his friends are ticked at you and want to scare you, they surround you, and you sweep his feet and dump him on his butt before a punch is thrown, he backs off, tries to save face, and leaves. You get trapped in the pushy-pushy-before-the punchy thing and you just repeatedly deflect pushes while being calm and unoffensive, and the other guy gets frustrated and cracks a joke and leaves you alone. Some guy grabs your shirt and swings, you trap and tangle his arms and shove him away, and he backs off. Two guys try to hold you up so you palm slap one across the face and walk back to the more public parking lot around the front of the building.

Point being, you don't have to be able to maim and kill a 215 lb guy to get out of a lot of situations, you just have to make him reconsider how easy it's going to be to get your money or make himself look good by hitting you. People playing social-violence dominance games don't want to get hurt or look bad. People committing crimes really don't want to get hurt or waste time, they want in, out, safe.

If you get unlucky in life and you become one of the small minority of people who experiences real life-threatening violence, all bets are off, but self-defense that comes to physical contact is often still largely about diffusing the situation rather than "devastating, demolishing, and dominating" your opponent.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well its up to the OP to decided what they want to do. From the first post I assumed they were looking for a mild form that would get them to exercise. Not wanting to do MMA and choke somebody out. There are lots of forms out there, many with weapons. Without doubt someone that lacks in confidence and needs a physical build up will gain from MA. You just have to push them to see what they are capable of and to exceed their own limitations.

Latest Discussions