The weight problem

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's a student at our school who is 5" taller than me, 30lbs heavier than me, fitter than me (he plays football for last years NCAA national champs...), and 30 years younger than me.

By the logic put forth here, he should kick my *** without breaking a sweat.
That turns out not to be the case, in the real world.

Are we talking about the Buckeyes?
Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.

OP
L

Littlebuddy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
thank you for your replies and sorry that it took me so long to respond. Ive been quite busy in the past few days.

Yep, just another excuse, or symptom of insecurity about your physique, and in truth, a great reason to enroll in a good MA class. Beginner classes aren't dominated by 20 year old MMA wannabees training till they barf every night. There are plenty of good beginner programs where the instructor will pace the class according to the students' ability. Hopefully, the instructors will push you a little beyond what you are "comfortable with", but not to excess.

Or, if you really want comfort... stay home and keep typing out posts. We're happy to respond.

BTW Consider this: I have an 83 year-old guy in my Eskrima class. He loves it. He didn't put off starting. Couldn't. As he put it, "You never know how much time you've got". So why wait? :)

Well I guess that the 83 year-old man has different reasons for participating in your class. I do want to be able to defend myself, that is the main reason im looking into martial arts. While having fun is still top priority, Im sure that there are other hobbies that I'd enjoy as well. So choosing martial arts over them really comes down to what I can potentially gain from it.

And if it really comes down to "If hes somewhat athletic and 5'11"(+) then just run away.", then I'd rather become a great sprinter.

I'm 5'8", maybe 5'9", and average 120-125lbs.

I've never found my size to be a hindrance in my training. If anything, it forces you to learn to apply your training correctly, and not rely on being able to muscle through your opponent. In real life, that's a luxury you're not going to have regardless, because no-one is ever going to attack you unless he believes himself to have an advantage -- either because he's bigger than you, or he's got his buddies with him, or he has a weapon. There's no such thing as a fair fight outside of the ring.

Also, keep in mind; if you ever choose to study weapon arts... Well, a blade or a bullet enter a 240lb guy just as easily as a 120lb guy. If a force multiplier is involved, size becomes even less of a concern. Granted, legal issues become equally more of one!

But how much of a hindrance would it be in a real life scenario?

I dont think that weapon arts is the thing im looking for, as carrying around a weapon all the time is not really an option.

That is exactly what it is. An excuse. You're concerned that your cardio conditioning is sub-par, so you're using that as an excuse not to join an activity that will improve your cardio.

You don't have get in shape to start martial arts. Training in a martial art will get you in shape.

Youre right there. My idea was to build cardio first in order to be able to have an easier time in martial arts classes. I do like to focus on things and do one after the other. But improving my cardio by participating in martial arts training is probably the best option.
Having said that, I will still need to do a couple of months of weight training until I reach my goal there.

The only claims regarding age and weight I've ever heard were from Renner Gracie, who said (paraphrasing) for each 20 lbs more muscle or 10 years less age than you, your attacker has roughly equivalent to one belt advantage... if all else is equal. Not exactly scientific, but reasonable assumptions.
Learning almost any MA form will help you close the gap with bigger aggessors. Some forms may be more suitable for you than others, so shop around a little (I'm sure others on this forum will have suggestions). The key is to work on improving yourself so things you consider to be disadvantages will no longer limit you.

To add a little more info on that, Rener was speaking from within the context of a system where each belt rank typically takes about 2-3 years to earn, so he's saying that roughly an advantage of 2 years of training balances out a 20 pound weight disadvantage, all other factors being equal*. That's still a sweeping gross overgeneralization, but it's at least approaching a meaningful statement.

I read similar claims whenever im reading MA discussions on the net, after an interested but inexperienced person asks some questions.
"Dont expect too much. If youre just 5'7" and 155lbs you wont be able to put up a good fight in most scenarios." (Thats just one of the things I read today. The same gist in various forms)

If your stamina is poor, the only way to change that is to exercise. Whether that's martial arts class, running, biking, lifting weights, whatever. You can't ever develop more stamina sitting on your couch.

I am lifting weights and jogging. However, if youre going to increase body mass lifting weights wont increase your stamina too much.

As for the size factor, yeah, the bigger person will often have an advantage, everything else being somehow equal. But as others have said, skill and confidence/determination can often make up for that. Studying martial arts will make you more likely to be able to defeat an attacker than you are now.

No doubt about that! However, If the likelihood of defeating a potential attacker is still very low for a person like me, even with martial arts training, then I might want to explore other options.

Also... avoiding conflict and not getting into street fights in the first place is going to be a big help. Studying martial arts doesn't mean you can or should go around fighting people.

Definitely not! So far Ive never been in a fight and Im definitely not looking to be an aggressor.

Good martial arts skills would definitely help you in most encounters. First off, the confidence you develop will enhance how you carry yourself, and others likely will notice it too. This should reduce the number of people wanting to cause trouble with you.
As for your size... one of our other dojos has a guy about your size. He is a nidan and has developed his skills to the point he'd devastate most opponents in any fight, especially if the attacker lacks formal training. Size would be mostly irrelevant.
Your reach/kick length is likely shorter than a bigger aggressor, which means you'll have to understand distance and timing more than bigger students (who can cheat a bit and not learn this as well). But that's definitely something you can develop.
If you train in a grappling art, your lower center of gravity becomes an advantage for throws and disbalancing your opponent. Even with less weight backing you, you can put this to use.
Almost all arts have some techniques which are easier/harder for people of various statures. There are a few techniques in my art which I can perform adequately, but would likely not be go-to techniques in a fight, depending on opponent's height/weight. There are some I feel very comfortable with and would readily use. In your studies, you'll likely find the same thing. Learn all the techniques and take what you can from them, but know which you can confidently perform for a given scenario.

Thank you for your post! That is highly encouraging!

First off, welcome to the forum. I am the same size as you and I can honestly say that I don't find my size to be a problem. What I lack in seer strength, I make up in speed. This comes with learning how to control distance. Also odds are in what art you go into there will be someone that is bigger than you use this to your advantage. One of my favorite sparring partners is around 6'5 and out weights me by a solid 100lbs.

But that is sparring. I'd assume sparring is fundamentally different from actual attack-scenarios

OK. Lets say that is correct.

You get into a fight with a guy who has 22lbs on you. Do you feel that training to fight would give you more or less chance of winning?

Can you gain 22lbs of functional mass?

So what options are you left with?

Of course its always better to know something and to be capable of doing something. But we have to decide what we learn. And im currently in the process of finding out whether martial arts is what I really want to learn or not.

What is your mental make up? How much do you really want...?
I am 60 years of age, nothing special. I train every day in some way. I have bad knees, left will not straighten completely due to injuries, rt can't bend completely... I still run every day, I still kick every day, I still train every day. I'm 5'7" down from 5'8" due to all of my joints and spine degenerating. I weigh 165 lbs up from 155 over the past year due to the activity downgrade and lack of will power to stop eating my wife's great meals. I have both shoulders with rotator injuries, still punch and do ground work.
The thing is we all have something that we can use as an excuse and it comes down to 'you'. Your desire to... do anything.

As to weight differences and sizes; yea it can matter but what matters even more is the individuals desire. How much do you desire to do anything. What is your mental make up... what is your human condition? You want to learn some martial arts and be able to defend yourself then go find an instructor and Do It! At my age can I realistically defend myself against a 6' 2" 250 lb man hell bent on hurting me? All depends. I'm still going to train physically, mentally, with empty hands, and with weapons. And in my twisted and bent mind, 'Damn Right I Can!!'

You want to have Fun? Then train in the martial arts.
You want to be able to realistically defend yourself? Then train in that manner and have fun doing it!

It all comes down to How much do YOU want to do it. You really want it... go train with that attitude.

Also a very motivating post, thank you for that!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh, just go train. Sure, someone bigger and stronger than you will pose problems in a real fight. But all the posters on all the forums don't know YOU and what you'd bring to the table when it's "go time".

When it comes to self-defence, it starts way before any punches are thrown. If you are in a fight, you've likely already made a slew of mistakes. It often boils down to "don't hang out in sketchy places with sketchy people". De-escalate. Be aware of your surroundings. Listen to your gut.

As a smaller person, a force multiplier is a good idea for you. It doesn't have to be a classical "weapon". Your cell phone is a force multiplier. So is a thermos. Anything you can do with a hammer-fist you can do with whatever is at hand in an emergency.

Don't and I repeat DON'T wait to get in shape before you start MA. I guarantee you'll never make it to the training hall that way. Almost no one does. In fact, I have never, ever seen it happen. The couch is too comfy to get off of to do something that gets you to the "something else" you actually want to do. No one practices wiggling their fingers for six months before taking guitar lessons. You just go take guitar lessons which teaches you how to wiggle your fingers appropriately. That's how it's done.

Get off your posterior, find a martial art and train it. Now. Not next week, not "when I'm in shape", not when the weather gets cold, or on your birthday or whatever. Now. It doesn't matter so much whether it's street ready or not, since you'll be getting better "physical IQ" from just training it.

If you want to become a total wrecking machine, start either wrestling or judo and add boxing. You'll be one tough customer, end of. At least as much as you could possibly be. Add to that basic self-defence and weapon defence and you're golden. Beware though... much "knife defence" is anything but. Do your research and don't fall for hocus-pocus.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Find a good teacher train hard and enjoy. You will probably lose weight. No pain no gain. Forget about the fighting side. Either you can or you cant. It has nothing to do with weight but fighting spirit. In saying that the spirit is within you and the fight IS with yourself not others. Enjoy! If you don't enjoy it? Don't do it.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
If the likelihood of defeating a potential attacker is still very low for a person like me, even with martial arts training
I disagree that anything is unlikely for a person like you. If you begin training, you will greatly increase your odds. Martial arts is not about strength at all... if it is, you're doing it wrong. You should be learning about movement, stance, distancing, the ways joints can and can't move, what points on EVERY body are more vulnerable than others, awareness, and develop a spirit that you will not be defeated. These are the things that determine if you will win a fight...not size. (Think of when you've seen a small dog bark down a much bigger dog.)
In the dojo, you're going to be training with others who want to help you get better rather than hurt you. They should push you so you can grow, but shouldn't be trying to "beat" you. Then as you get better, you're able to push them back so they can grow too.
Sparring in a controlled setting will also teach you that you can receive a strike and continue on without having to surrender. You will get a few bruises, but most of us wear them with pride knowing it's the price of gaining skills. Then if a real fight comes your way, you'll have the confidence to hold your own.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read similar claims whenever im reading MA discussions on the net, after an interested but inexperienced person asks some questions.
"Dont expect too much. If youre just 5'7" and 155lbs you wont be able to put up a good fight in most scenarios." (Thats just one of the things I read today. The same gist in various forms)
If that's what you think GiYu - Todd and I were saying, then you misunderstood us. Nothing in the statements you quoted from us indicate that someone who is only 155 lbs couldn't put up a good fight in most scenarios.

What we're saying is that, all other factors being equal, size is an advantage in a fight. Therefore as a smaller person you need to put significant time and hard work into not having all other factors be equal.

Rener Gracie's formula that we referred to earlier is a gross generalization and oversimplification. Regardless, let's look at what it would mean if you took it literally. If you train hard for 2 years, you would be able to fight a 175 pound guy on an even basis. In 4 years you would be even with a 195 pound guy. In 6 years you would be even with a 215 pound guy! Actually, it's even better than that. The formula is really referring to muscle weight, not flab. The average American adult male is currently around 195 pounds, but much of that is due to the obesity epidemic. That theoretical "average" American male is probably carrying 20-30 pounds of excess flab that doesn't do a lot to help him in a fight. If you spend the next couple of years developing solid skills and getting strong so that 155 pounds is solid muscle, you could easily have an advantage over a 195 pound couch potato in a fight.

Please don't take that formula literally, BTW. It's not meant as a universal rule and it's not all that exact even within the context it was developed for.

The Great Gigsy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
@Littlebuddy, you are correct sparring is different than a real fight as my sparring partners aren't trying to take my head off. But by having partners bigger than myself it helps with getting over the fear of being attacked by someone bigger than myself. I have learned how to control distance while still being able to stay within my striking range. Even in a situation where a larger person wants to grab me my years of judo have taught me that I can take someone bigger down will a throwing technique or sweep.

OP
L

Littlebuddy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Oh, just go train. Sure, someone bigger and stronger than you will pose problems in a real fight. But all the posters on all the forums don't know YOU and what you'd bring to the table when it's "go time".

When it comes to self-defence, it starts way before any punches are thrown. If you are in a fight, you've likely already made a slew of mistakes. It often boils down to "don't hang out in sketchy places with sketchy people". De-escalate. Be aware of your surroundings. Listen to your gut.

Where I live its really not about being in "sketchy places with sketchy people" (well, of course those would increase the likelihood of getting in trouble), but more about running across the wrong people. Everyone in my family got into dangerous situations in the past 10 years, getting robbed, their nose broken or threatened and pursued. All in broad daylight (not in sketchy locations) while minding their own business. And they are the most peaceful people you could possibly imagine; so definitely not people who would provoke others.

As Ive mentioned before, I myself have (luckily) never been in a fight even though I got close to being one multiple times. Im primarily looking for a self-defense class, because I want to be able to stand a chance if my luck ever runs out.

Don't and I repeat DON'T wait to get in shape before you start MA. I guarantee you'll never make it to the training hall that way. Almost no one does. In fact, I have never, ever seen it happen. The couch is too comfy to get off of to do something that gets you to the "something else" you actually want to do. No one practices wiggling their fingers for six months before taking guitar lessons. You just go take guitar lessons which teaches you how to wiggle your fingers appropriately. That's how it's done.

Get off your posterior, find a martial art and train it. Now. Not next week, not "when I'm in shape", not when the weather gets cold, or on your birthday or whatever. Now. It doesn't matter so much whether it's street ready or not, since you'll be getting better "physical IQ" from just training it.

If I hadnt done that then I'd be a 110 lbs guy training MA right now. Im not looking to become a huge barbell-throwing long-distance runner before joining a class. But I do want to have some basic strength, not just for Martial Arts or "fighting".

If you want to become a total wrecking machine, start either wrestling or judo and add boxing. You'll be one tough customer, end of. At least as much as you could possibly be. Add to that basic self-defence and weapon defence and you're golden. Beware though... much "knife defence" is anything but. Do your research and don't fall for hocus-pocus.

Thank you for your advice! Arent size and weight particularly strong factors in wrestling and boxing though? Correct me if Im wrong but I assumed that there are other MAs in which the size/weight-factor is smaller compared to these two.

Find a good teacher train hard and enjoy. You will probably lose weight. No pain no gain. Forget about the fighting side. Either you can or you cant. It has nothing to do with weight but fighting spirit. In saying that the spirit is within you and the fight IS with yourself not others. Enjoy! If you don't enjoy it? Don't do it.

Thanks Hyoho, i will do my best! Well and I hope that im not going to lose to much weight :D

I disagree that anything is unlikely for a person like you. If you begin training, you will greatly increase your odds. Martial arts is not about strength at all... if it is, you're doing it wrong. You should be learning about movement, stance, distancing, the ways joints can and can't move, what points on EVERY body are more vulnerable than others, awareness, and develop a spirit that you will not be defeated. These are the things that determine if you will win a fight...not size. (Think of when you've seen a small dog bark down a much bigger dog.)
In the dojo, you're going to be training with others who want to help you get better rather than hurt you. They should push you so you can grow, but shouldn't be trying to "beat" you. Then as you get better, you're able to push them back so they can grow too.
Sparring in a controlled setting will also teach you that you can receive a strike and continue on without having to surrender. You will get a few bruises, but most of us wear them with pride knowing it's the price of gaining skills. Then if a real fight comes your way, you'll have the confidence to hold your own.

Thank you! Very encouraging words

If that's what you think GiYu - Todd and I were saying, then you misunderstood us. Nothing in the statements you quoted from us indicate that someone who is only 155 lbs couldn't put up a good fight in most scenarios.

I think my reply just wasnt very clear: I do not think that you two were saying that:
"Dont expect too much. If youre just 5'7" and 155lbs you wont be able to put up a good fight in most scenarios."

But as both of you seemed to be baffled that im worrying so much about size and weight I felt the need to point out how often I come across the claims you were criticizing.

What we're saying is that, all other factors being equal, size is an advantage in a fight. Therefore as a smaller person you need to put significant time and hard work into not having all other factors be equal.

Rener Gracie's formula that we referred to earlier is a gross generalization and oversimplification. Regardless, let's look at what it would mean if you took it literally. If you train hard for 2 years, you would be able to fight a 175 pound guy on an even basis. In 4 years you would be even with a 195 pound guy. In 6 years you would be even with a 215 pound guy! Actually, it's even better than that. The formula is really referring to muscle weight, not flab. The average American adult male is currently around 195 pounds, but much of that is due to the obesity epidemic. That theoretical "average" American male is probably carrying 20-30 pounds of excess flab that doesn't do a lot to help him in a fight. If you spend the next couple of years developing solid skills and getting strong so that 155 pounds is solid muscle, you could easily have an advantage over a 195 pound couch potato in a fight.

Please don't take that formula literally, BTW. It's not meant as a universal rule and it's not all that exact even within the context it was developed for.

It sounds like a very rough guideline for realistic expectations. But wouldnt that depend heavily on the Martial Art youre learning? I mean 2 years in Karate are probably something entirely different than 2 years in Krav Maga for example.
Im not going to lie 2 years of extensive training until Im on par with an untrained 175 lbs guy does sound like a lot. But 6 years for a 215lbs guy does sound appealing again :D

But yeah Im not too fixated on numbers, I just want to get a general understanding on what is realistic and whas isnt.

@Littlebuddy, you are correct sparring is different than a real fight as my sparring partners aren't trying to take my head off. But by having partners bigger than myself it helps with getting over the fear of being attacked by someone bigger than myself. I have learned how to control distance while still being able to stay within my striking range. Even in a situation where a larger person wants to grab me my years of judo have taught me that I can take someone bigger down will a throwing technique or sweep.

That makes a lot of sense and is motivating, thank you!

Cheer up Littlebuddy. You'll get of that island someday and into the gym. You'll do great! Next thing you know you'll be full of confidence and ready to take on the world!

Haha, I certainly hope so!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Where I live its really not about being in "sketchy places with sketchy people" (well, of course those would increase the likelihood of getting in trouble), but more about running across the wrong people. Everyone in my family got into dangerous situations in the past 10 years, getting robbed, their nose broken or threatened and pursued. All in broad daylight (not in sketchy locations) while minding their own business. And they are the most peaceful people you could possibly imagine; so definitely not people who would provoke others.

As Ive mentioned before, I myself have (luckily) never been in a fight even though I got close to being one multiple times. Im primarily looking for a self-defense class, because I want to be able to stand a chance if my luck ever runs out.

I can't speak to the specifics, but "being peaceful" isn't enough. You want to have a state of awareness so that those things are less likely to happen to you. There are no guarantees though. Sometimes life sucks. However, if you don't look like a victim, you're less likely to become one. There might be something they've done that makes them look like soft targets.

If I hadnt done that then I'd be a 110 lbs guy training MA right now. Im not looking to become a huge barbell-throwing long-distance runner before joining a class. But I do want to have some basic strength, not just for Martial Arts or "fighting".

Strength is good. More is better. Explosivity is also important. Cardio too. The list goes on. :)

Thank you for your advice! Arent size and weight particularly strong factors in wrestling and boxing though? Correct me if Im wrong but I assumed that there are other MAs in which the size/weight-factor is smaller compared to these two.

It's all the same stuff. Learning how to punch well is VERY important. Boxing will teach you that, probably better than anything else. Likewise wrestling for controlling another person's body. Wrestlers, boxers and Judoka are generally on the short list of "people you don't want to mess with". They will teach you to make the most of what you've got.

Any of the "size doesn't matter in XYZ martial art" is hokum. It's just baloney, don't believe it. Size and strength matter A LOT where there is no weaponry involved. Once weapons come out, size and strength matter less, since people are squishy when compared to baseball bats, swords, and firearms.

Now, there are issues with stuff like boxing, wrestling and judo for self-defence in that they don't teach self-defence: they teach fighting within specific rule sets. For de-escalation, weapon defence and whatnot, you'll need additional stuff. But you'll have a hell of a foundation to hang it on. As a small person, you'd have to fight super dirty. With a good foundation, your dirty fighting will be really good.

There's no magic pill. Just hard training. Go do that, whatever it is. My suggestions aren't the only ones worth pursuing. Find what you like and train.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No doubt about that! However, If the likelihood of defeating a potential attacker is still very low for a person like me, even with martial arts training, then I might want to explore other options.

You know, this makes me think of a news story I saw maybe a year ago, about an elementary school-aged boy who defended himself against a murder attempt by his step-mother, using the moves he learned taking martial arts classes, which got her to back off enough that he could run to a neighbor for help.

What I'm trying to say is that "defeating" an attack doesn't necessarily mean knocking them unconcious or tying them up like Batman, and that an attacker isn't necessarily going to put in 100% to try to defeat you. If someone's looking for an easy mark, or is cowardly, they may back off when you provide resistance, even if they're bigger than you.

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is percentages and anthropometrics (body sizes). As someone of smaller stature, without any training, you may only be able to beat 5% of the general population. With training, you can shift that percentage to 25% - 50%, which greatly increases your odds should a fight occur. The more you train, the greater portion of the population you can defeat. No system will enable you to beat 100%, even with weapons (although as a force multiplier, that's also something to consider). All you can do is work at improving.
Similarly, as martial artists age, many feel discouraged that they aren't as (strong, fast, resilient, flexible, etc) as they used to be. Often, this leads to people discontinuing training since they are no longer "progressing". A better way to look at it is not in comparing their current state to their 20 year old self, but to others their current age. Often, they remain in far better shape than their peers, which is a great goal. They also maintain an edge over younger threats without training. And while older practitioners may be declining in performance, it is at a slower rate than they otherwise would.
The focus is not on being able to beat everyone... but to keep improving yourself so the odds tend to favor you more.

OP
L

Littlebuddy

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak to the specifics, but "being peaceful" isn't enough. You want to have a state of awareness so that those things are less likely to happen to you. There are no guarantees though. Sometimes life sucks. However, if you don't look like a victim, you're less likely to become one. There might be something they've done that makes them look like soft targets.

Well to be honest I am quite sure that my grandmother will always look like a soft target. But I get what youre saying.

Strength is good. More is better. Explosivity is also important. Cardio too. The list goes on. :)

It's all the same stuff. Learning how to punch well is VERY important. Boxing will teach you that, probably better than anything else. Likewise wrestling for controlling another person's body. Wrestlers, boxers and Judoka are generally on the short list of "people you don't want to mess with". They will teach you to make the most of what you've got.

Any of the "size doesn't matter in XYZ martial art" is hokum. It's just baloney, don't believe it. Size and strength matter A LOT where there is no weaponry involved. Once weapons come out, size and strength matter less, since people are squishy when compared to baseball bats, swords, and firearms.

Now, there are issues with stuff like boxing, wrestling and judo for self-defence in that they don't teach self-defence: they teach fighting within specific rule sets. For de-escalation, weapon defence and whatnot, you'll need additional stuff. But you'll have a hell of a foundation to hang it on. As a small person, you'd have to fight super dirty. With a good foundation, your dirty fighting will be really good.

There's no magic pill. Just hard training. Go do that, whatever it is. My suggestions aren't the only ones worth pursuing. Find what you like and train.

I think that I will have to prioritize though:
Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Self Defense AND Bodybuilding...i could fill two lifetimes of exercising with that :D And as I said: Im already 25 years old. I dont expect to become the ultimate fighter within a year, but if its "Gain muscle-mass for another year, then go practice boxing, judo and wrestling for a decade and then you might stand a chance in a fight...sometimes...as long as the attacker isnt younger than you" then Im not sure if thats really the thing im looking for.

You know, this makes me think of a news story I saw maybe a year ago, about an elementary school-aged boy who defended himself against a murder attempt by his step-mother, using the moves he learned taking martial arts classes, which got her to back off enough that he could run to a neighbor for help.

What I'm trying to say is that "defeating" an attack doesn't necessarily mean knocking them unconcious or tying them up like Batman, and that an attacker isn't necessarily going to put in 100% to try to defeat you. If someone's looking for an easy mark, or is cowardly, they may back off when you provide resistance, even if they're bigger than you.

Haha, that is of course true!

Another thing to look at is percentages and anthropometrics (body sizes). As someone of smaller stature, without any training, you may only be able to beat 5% of the general population. With training, you can shift that percentage to 25% - 50%, which greatly increases your odds should a fight occur. The more you train, the greater portion of the population you can defeat. No system will enable you to beat 100%, even with weapons (although as a force multiplier, that's also something to consider). All you can do is work at improving.
Similarly, as martial artists age, many feel discouraged that they aren't as (strong, fast, resilient, flexible, etc) as they used to be. Often, this leads to people discontinuing training since they are no longer "progressing". A better way to look at it is not in comparing their current state to their 20 year old self, but to others their current age. Often, they remain in far better shape than their peers, which is a great goal. They also maintain an edge over younger threats without training. And while older practitioners may be declining in performance, it is at a slower rate than they otherwise would.
The focus is not on being able to beat everyone... but to keep improving yourself so the odds tend to favor you more.

Well 5%? I mean there are toddlers and senior citizens...i think i might have a fair chance of winning against some of those in a fight! :p
But yeah of course its always about odds. Im not looking to beat everyone but why would I train martial arts if Im going to get my *** kicked 9/10 times (opposed to 9.9/10 times) simply due to my physique?

Koshiki

Brown Belt
Reaction score
List of huge advantages one can have in a fight any one of them a complete game changer.

1. Mass and size (within reason)
2. Physical Ability (strength, flexibility, speed, accuracy, reaction speed, balance etc.)
3. Aggression. Probably the biggest one, honestly.
4. Good Training
5. Being the first one to know there's going to be a fight.
6. Weapons.
7. Numbers.
8. About a million other things....

1. You can't really change.
3. Is hard to learn, and ethically questionable in many instances...
5, 7, 8 You can practice awareness, but it's largely luck of the draw...
6. You said you're not interested, plus, again, ethics and legality...

Which leaves you 2 and 4. Both of which are solved through long hours of study and training with a good teacher...

That's pretty much the whole situation. It's very simple. If you want to get better at fighting, you have to train at fighting. A lot.

Plus, training fighting arts is ridiculously fun!

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that I will have to prioritize though:
Boxing, Wrestling, Judo, Self Defense AND Bodybuilding...i could fill two lifetimes of exercising with that :D And as I said: Im already 25 years old. I dont expect to become the ultimate fighter within a year, but if its "Gain muscle-mass for another year, then go practice boxing, judo and wrestling for a decade and then you might stand a chance in a fight...sometimes...as long as the attacker isnt younger than you" then Im not sure if thats really the thing im looking for.

You don't need a decade to win a fight. Some simple skills drilled well will put you in good stead. A good combatives course will be fine. A decent Krav school or similar will suffice for most purposes. Anything associated with folks like Kelly McCann will be perfect and more than enough for anyone looking for self-defence. It's top-notch.

Yes, big strong guys will be trouble. But so are small but determined, aggressive wiry folks. Like you.

I told you what you needed to become a wrecking machine, and that still holds. Once you've trained for a while, you may crave more for its own sake, and want to be the best fighter you can be, just because you want to. The most terrifying opponent you're likely to face is a good wrestler, so being a good wrestler yourself is always a fantastic idea. It's not needed to have your SD stuff together, but it's super nice to have.

And 25 is plenty young. I started HEMA at 31 and compete regularly. I'm now 42.

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I guess that the 83 year-old man has different reasons for participating in your class. I do want to be able to defend myself, that is the main reason im looking into martial arts. While having fun is still top priority, Im sure that there are other hobbies that I'd enjoy as well. So choosing martial arts over them really comes down to what I can potentially gain from it.

Dont second guess an older person's motives. I train with an 80 year-old gentleman who will put a hurt on you. He is a tough old bird. He is not training just to play games, the man has real skills. Obviously he is not in his 20's, but I guarantee he will surprise the holy heck out of anyone who messes with him.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

No. It just appears that way. If you fight someone with equal skill and equal weapons size will be a determining factor.

If you do drills against unresisting oponants you can drop anybody.

So why did this girl beat this larger guy?