The TSA And Racial Profiling

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/report-racial-profiling-alleged-boston-airport-011708310.html

NEW YORK (AP) — Transportation Security Administration officers at Boston's Logan International Airport are alleging that a program intended to help flag possible terrorists based on passengers' mannerisms has led to rampant racial profiling, a newspaper reported Saturday.
The New York Times (http://nyti.ms/P2enzf ) reported on its website that in interviews and internal complaints it has obtained, more than 30 officers involved in the "behavior detection" program at Logan contend that the operation targets not only Middle Easterners, but also passengers who fit certain profiles — such as Hispanics traveling to Miami, or blacks wearing baseball caps backward.

Thoughts?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL, you think people actually want what they think they want?!

But it certainly beats feeling up infants and seniors...
That's the point people are asking for things they have no concept of and when they get a glimpse of it they don't like it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's the point people are asking for things they have no concept of and when they get a glimpse of it they don't like it.

yep.
Now quit scaring me! We still got a lot of 2012 left, stop agreeing with me! ;)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't that what people wanted?

I think you're right. LOL, now that you mention it, its the same thing in the work place. People ***** and complain about things, calling for changes, yet, for some odd reason, they don't think about the aftermath of their changes. Go figure.

As for whether or not racial profiling is actually happening....don't know. I don't travel enough (Thank God!!!) to have to worry about too many 'feel ups' or dealings with the TSA, to really worry, however, I'm sure with anything, RP will happen, amongst some of the officers.

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Racial profiling isn't limited to the airports; it's also a fact of law enforcement life on the streets. Some say that it's not about the "race" of the various groups targeted, but that it's just good common sense. Middle Easterners tend to commit terrorist acts, Latinos/Hispanics tend to run drugs, and Blacks tend to be generally criminally inclined. Or so goes the rationale.

Did I leave anyone out?

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Racial profiling isn't limited to the airports; it's also a fact of law enforcement life on the streets. Some say that it's not about the "race" of the various groups targeted, but that it's just good common sense. Middle Easterners tend to commit terrorist acts, Latinos/Hispanics tend to run drugs, and Blacks tend to be generally criminally inclined. Or so goes the rationale.

Did I leave anyone out?

You know what I look for most often. A car with 3 or more white people usually 1 female with tags that come back to a town at least 35 min away sitting in a grocery store parking lot but not going inside 9 out of 10 tines they are waiting for dope

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Did I leave anyone out?

Jews control the banks.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Boston is easily one of the most prejudiced cities in the northeast, if not the country. Maybe it's not the TSA.

Maybe it's Boston.

I've lived in Boston most of my life and do not find that to be true. I've found the concept of others saying that to be true, but not prejudice itself. At least not more than any other place in country.

As for any profiling that takes place at Boston's Logan Airport - I sure wish they had been doing that eleven years ago.

Also, in my opinion, everyone profiles in their daily life. Everyone.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
They always seem to stop the elderly female or way overweight handicap kid the few times I have watched them... No rhyme or reason from what I saw...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I've lived in Boston most of my life and do not find that to be true. .

I lived in Cambridge for almost two years, and spent a fair amount of time in Boston. I liked it. That said, as a fairly well traveled, black New Yorker, it's easily the northeast city where I encountered the most prejudice-and I've actually encountered far less in my visits to some southern cities, so I'll stand by my statement.

As to profiling, just becuase everyone does it, doesn't make it right.

As to 9/11, while I can understand the sentiment, it likely would not have accomplished anything-"Arabs" weren't on the radar, really-there was no TSA, just "rent a cop" security (not that the TSA is any different)-and those guys had made efforts to fit in.

Here's Mohammed Atta, the so-called "leader" of the 9/11 criminals, on 9/11:

$092001atta.jpg

Probably didn't raise any more eyebrows than his box-cutter did.

More's the pity, though: these guys were on our radar, and we just weren't paying enough attention.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They always seem to stop the elderly female or way overweight handicap kid the few times I have watched them... No rhyme or reason from what I saw...

Same reason PETA does not protest bikers wearing leather or the NYC Anti Carriage people don't go after mounted cops: You pick the target least likely to kick your a$$.