TSA Rolling Out Israeli-Style Behavior Detection

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/tsa-testing-israeli-style-behavior-detection.html

Politico reports that rather than simply throwing more taxpayer cash at companies selling expensive and, to some, invasive imaging technology, the TSA is looking at methods that have been used in Israel for years with great success. Much of this simply involves talking to passengers more and watching their eyes as they respond to basic questions.
The Israeli method also uses a large degree of racial profiling. If you look like an Arab, you get greater scrutiny. Speaking at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado, TSA chief John Pistole did not comment on racial aspects, but did say the new methods should result in fewer incidents like the ones documented in viral online videos of children screaming as they were subjected to hands-on patdowns and asked to remove their shirt in the middle of busy airports.

Now if only the TSA would train their screeners like the Israeli's do theirs, we might, might!, end up with competent security.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The difference is that all Israelis are properly trained, are disciplined, understand working in teams as pert of an orginaziation, all having been in the military. Also they all know that they are truly under attack and that their failure could cost lives.

The screening is also much more subtle. It is on going, including after you've cleared security. The interaction may or may not be theater. If you are being pulled out of line for questioning, the odds are equal that it's because they want to question you, or they want to observe the reaction of people around at not being chosen. We are nowhere near that level of training and sophistication.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://consumerist.com/2011/07/tsa-testing-israeli-style-behavior-detection.html

Now if only the TSA would train their screeners like the Israeli's do theirs, we might, might!, end up with competent security.

Sounds like a plan for me. If its working for them, and IMO, they have to deal with alot more terror activity than we do, may as well give it a shot. Of course, this caught my eye:

"The Israeli method also uses a large degree of racial profiling"

I'm sure it'll be a matter of time, if we did start using this method, that someone or some group, will start crying.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan for me. If its working for them, and IMO, they have to deal with alot more terror activity than we do, may as well give it a shot. Of course, this caught my eye:

I'm sure it'll be a matter of time, if we did start using this method, that someone or some group, will start crying.

It''s been mentioned, now the count down is ticking, it's weekend...give it til monday.

however, with current track record they will only learn how to pick better groping victims.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score

They do, but it's not really obvious. When at Ben Gurion, I see just about as many non Arabs as Arabs being actively questioned. It's the silent observers that will do more profiling.

MaxiMe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
TSA needs some outside help. Current TSA training TSA sounds like a plot from a bad racey movie.

I think the Israelis could be a great help on this. They've been pretty successful for years.

Latest Discussions