The TSA And Racial Profiling

Wo Fat

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This is why I like the older original term "statistical profiling". If the majority of crime in a certain area are done by a certain group (either race or age group) then they do warrant a little more attention. As long as probable cause is met and people's rights are respected I've got little problem with it. I know that I get more attention from the police and security when I dress a certain way or when I wear my hair a certain way. I accept that as long as they don't violate the law or my rights.

Statistical profiling is fine. Pedophiles, embezzlers, con men, snipers and mass murderers tend to come from a certain group, so as long as we place them under the same permanent level of suspicion, then it balances out. Otherwise, it's a convenient justification for profiling everyone else.

And yes, one can garner more attention from law enforcement depending on how they choose to dress. At the same time, one can't change their color or ethnicity. Yet they're still worthy of "statistical" attention.

Latest Discussions