The True Ninja

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, cheer up -- it looks like Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters" show (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html) is going to make some effort to get a few things right for the public. (While still having a lot of fun, as they always do!) They've looked me up and asked me to assist with a special episode on "The Ninja". Normally they cover 3 topics per episode, but this one will be solely dedicated to "myths" regarding the ninja and ninjutsu and to separating historical fact from movie fiction.

Can't say anything beyond that right now except to say that it should be a good synergy, as they and we are equally interested in separating truth from fiction in the presentation. We've hit it off very well in our email discussions and meetings, and we're shooting it week after next.
I've heard secondhand from some of the cops involved with them that those guys are a blast to work with... I bet that you'll have fun with them.

I can't wait to see the episode! Let us know the air date when you know it!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, cheer up -- it looks like Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters" show (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html) is going to make some effort to get a few things right for the public. (While still having a lot of fun, as they always do!) They've looked me up and asked me to assist with a special episode on "The Ninja". Normally they cover 3 topics per episode, but this one will be solely dedicated to "myths" regarding the ninja and ninjutsu and to separating historical fact from movie fiction.

Can't say anything beyond that right now except to say that it should be a good synergy, as they and we are equally interested in separating truth from fiction in the presentation. We've hit it off very well in our email discussions and meetings, and we're shooting it week after next.

Hey Dale,

That is great! I will look forward to watching that.
icon14.gif

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In case anyone needs a laugh,

That was quite possibly some of the worst martial arts parody I have ever seen. I would venture a guess that he has never had a real minute of live martial arts instruction in his entire life. And what he has managed to pick up from saturday afternoon kung-fu movies and Ohara publications books has not been enough to sell a bad hoax.

Sincerely bewildered,

Dave

PS -- Hey all you booj guys; I'm sorry you have to share the planet with him. That was truly awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

whiteshadow711j

White Belt
Reaction score

Dale that is so amazing. I cant wait to see this episode.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, cheer up -- it looks like Discovery Channel's "Mythbusters" show (http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/about/about.html) is going to make some effort to get a few things right for the public. (While still having a lot of fun, as they always do!) They've looked me up and asked me to assist with a special episode on "The Ninja".

Excuse my ignorance about American TV since I live in Japan, but aren't these the guys that blow up something every episode? :redeme:

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance about American TV since I live in Japan, but aren't these the guys that blow up something every episode?

Aye, and we expect to this time too. They were interested in the "Hollywood myth" of ninja throwing down a smoke bomb and disappearing, but (along with a number of other bubbles I've burst for them) I pointed out that they did have explosive, incendiary, and smoke-producing pyrotechnics (and explained the tactical uses of each), but that these used black powder and had to be fuse-lit; so the idea of the (historic) ninja throwing down a contact-detonated device doesn't hold up. I did suggest that the "vanishing in a cloud" bit might have come from the use of metsubushi powders.

You'll probably still end up seeing some things that go boom, but in a way consistent with the sengoku jidai. Expect to see metsubushi eggshells at some point too. :)

Oh by the way, Jamie really does wear that beret all the time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance about American TV since I live in Japan, but aren't these the guys that blow up something every episode?

Yep.

Is there something wrong with that?:ultracool

These are also the guys that built a rocket powered, remote control car that had to be steered from a helicopter:xtrmshock; blew up a cement truck; crashed 2 semis into each other with a little hatchback in between; tested & disproved myths about speed radar and breath alcohol testing:cheers:; and lots, lots more. They've fired guns into water:ak47:; lifted a sunken boat with ping-pong balls (just to prove that not everything they do is destructive or explosive!)...

I'm sure Dale's gonna have a blast playing with them. And I bet it'll be fascinating episode to see!

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yep.

Is there something wrong with that?:ultracool

These are also the guys that built a rocket powered, remote control car that had to be steered from a helicopter:xtrmshock; blew up a cement truck; crashed 2 semis into each other with a little hatchback in between; tested & disproved myths about speed radar and breath alcohol testing:cheers:; and lots, lots more. They've fired guns into water:ak47:; lifted a sunken boat with ping-pong balls (just to prove that not everything they do is destructive or explosive!)...

I'm sure Dale's gonna have a blast playing with them. And I bet it'll be fascinating episode to see!

By all means, don't forget my personal favorite, the chicken launcher...

shinobi_ashton

White Belt
Reaction score
I also get quite mad at people who disrespect the ninja and especially those who make fun of hatsumi sensei.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Kreth you know that Dale will probably get stuck working with Jamie!
icon6.gif

Hey man, its only 6 degrees of seperation...

Kari knows Jamie, who knows Dale, who Knows Hatsumi who knows Papa-san who knows me...

See? I know Kari by DEFAULT. And I bet you all do too!

:D

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm jealous. Dale gets to hang out with Kari Byron. :fanboy:

Aye, and so it came to pass. Shooting was yesterday, and one of the segments was exploring whether shuko could stop a sword cut. They wanted one of their crew to try to split my skull. . .Turned out the one they had in mind was Kari. I have some nice post-shoot pics with her. . .

BTW, she's a lot hotter in person than she is on the screen.