The Slow Lie

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It depend how slow you mean. A good teacher with quickly see what you are doing wrong, correct this and maybe another half a dozen problems. As they say, 'Start wrong, finish wrong. Technique really is not about speed anyway. Its not how fast you move, it's 'when' you move that decides an outcome. As you mature young people who have the speed appear to be buzzing mosquitoes.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depend how slow you mean. A good teacher with quickly see what you are doing wrong, correct this and maybe another half a dozen problems. As they say, 'Start wrong, finish wrong. Technique really is not about speed anyway. Its not how fast you move, it's 'when' you move that decides an outcome. As you mature young people who have the speed appear to be buzzing mosquitoes.
I disagree. Proper path of motion, and an understanding of when, and where your hand needs to be, "When", will decide the outcome.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL. You need to know where the other guys hands are not yours. Then again eyes are the giveaway not the body. Everybody has to look even for split second before they move. The outcome? I usually know what the other guy is going to do before he does.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
LOL. You need to know where the other guys hands are not yours. Then again eyes are the giveaway not the body. Everybody has to look even for split second before they move. The outcome? I usually know what the other guy is going to do before he does.
Are you being serious? We don't need to know where are hands are? What martial art do you study?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope!
I have 3 blind students. They don't do any looking at all. Theirs is 'all' audio and tactile.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So let us say a guy throws a punch at us. We went to block it, but we forgot that our hands were in our back pockets. :)

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you being serious? We don't need to know where are hands are? What martial art do you study?
Started Karate 50 years ago. Mostly sword arts (koryu) now now. I trained my students to win All Japan championship twice. Spent nearly 40 years opposite Uni students (Mostly Yondan) fighting at least 5 days a week. also Kidotai (Japanese Riot squad). A weapon is merely an extension of ones body (at least it should be). Fighter are just that. They could do it before they did MA. One can still do MA as an art form without fighting but we are all on a path for perfection. A path that we will never reach

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope!
I have 3 blind students. They don't do any looking at all. Theirs is 'all' audio and tactile.
It was a generalization. But wonderful for them to be able to do an activity like that. I doubt if we would all last very long in competition blindfolded

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Started Karate 50 years ago. Mostly sword arts (koryu) now now. I trained my students to win All Japan championship twice. Spent nearly 40 years opposite Uni students (Mostly Yondan) fighting at least 5 days a week. also Kidotai (Japanese Riot squad). A weapon is merely an extension of ones body (at least it should be). Fighter are just that. They could do it before they did MA. One can still do MA as an art form without fighting but we are all on a path for perfection. A path that we will never reach
Most arts have the different beneficial hand positions imbedded in the technique, but when that fails, we say, "Hey keep your guard up!".

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everybody has a top speed. So you get there you stop. To get faster you have to make use of efficiency. And to find the most efficient motion involves slowing down.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I only have one speed, and it ain't fast. Fortunately, Good technique, muscle memory and experience get me through or I'd be helpless. :)

Speed, like strength, is a distinct advantage, but can be overcome.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
:D
It was a generalization. But wonderful for them to be able to do an activity like that. I doubt if we would all last very long in competition blindfolded

Depends on the competition. Not too many blind marksmen, archers or even swordsmen, I'll grant you that. But grapplers? Try doing a google search on blind wrestlers. There are quite a few.

In Wing Chun, I've had the opportunity to work with several visually impaired individuals. Once you make contact, you can strike or grapple very effectively if you've been trained.

As far as the OP goes, of course some things can be improved by slow training. T.O.D. said:

...The thing that helps about going slow is that other people can see what you are doing, and correct you. That is it! :)

OK, then go practice slowly in front of a mirror! Then maybe you can spot some of your own mistakes. Works for me. ;)

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most arts have the different beneficial hand positions imbedded in the technique, but when that fails, we say, "Hey keep your guard up!".

Have you ever fought anyone who uses a hidden technique? Hands are behind them. We have to understand Ma-ai. It's the distance/timing/interval between two people. Precisely when is the other person is inside ones own ma-ai. Also kokoro ma-ai. this is the mental interval. Momentary lapses in this may also decide the outcome. If the other person is holding something as a weapon the ma-ai simply alters if you are empty handed.

@geezer. Love mirrors but I hate videos. Always show us up for what we have yet to learn.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you ever fought anyone who uses a hidden technique? Hands are behind them. We have to understand Ma-ai. It's the distance/timing/interval between two people. Precisely when is the other person is inside ones own ma-ai. Also kokoro ma-ai. this is the mental interval. Momentary lapses in this may also decide the outcome. If the other person is holding something as a weapon the ma-ai simply alters if you are empty handed.

@geezer. Love mirrors but I hate videos. Always show us up for what we have yet to learn.
Wouldn't it follow that your opponent is aware of his positional advantages, just as you should be aware of yours?

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't it follow that your opponent is aware of his positional advantages, just as you should be aware of yours?
That's what I just said. Its called Ma-ai. It's not really about hands or arms either yours or his.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The whole "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" meme is for teaching fundamentals to beginners. The meme is popular in the shooting arts, yet competitive shooters train with shot timers for a reason...

Read this one:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=12670

and/or this one:

Want to Shoot Faster Slow isn t Fast Shooting Illustrated

An important concept in tactical shooting training is to push yourself to shoot faster...to the point where you start missing...that's how you you find your limits and how you determine what you need to work on to shoot accurately at that speed.

Then you push to shoot even faster. You train to be fast by practicing fast. "Slowing down" to smooth out your technique is ALL RELATIVE. My slowing down my shooting to work on "smoothness" will probably still be far faster than a lesser trained shooter. And I'm only slowing down so that I can push my speed even faster once I have the technique ingrained.

Last edited:

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not? Speed of action is about good habits, and hand placement is just one of those habits.
As I 'already' said, If you understand timing, ma-ai you have all the time in the world to "execute". Speed is fine but if its wasted? We wear down quickly. In a long competition its the lungs that give out first.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I 'already' said, If you understand timing, ma-ai you have all the time in the world to "execute". Speed is fine but if its wasted? We wear down quickly. In a long competition its the lungs that give out first.
But your punches have better timing from a set point of reference.

Latest Discussions