the ohio killings and abortion: hypocrasy?

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Over here there would only be a murder charge for the mother, the unborn baby has to be a 'separate' person as in separated from the umbilical cord and it's mother before it could be considered a victim of murder.

That seems like a pretty old fashioned thought. Like it was from before science (through DNA tests, ultrasound, and other modern technologies) showed us that the unborn is an unique living person, and the young person is simply dependent on it's mother for nourishment and shelter, in the same way he or she will be dependent on others for years to come. Instead of an umbilical cord nourishment is server with a breast or bottle, then a spoon and waste is taken away in a diaper.

About the hypocrisy, it is all through the 'reproductive rights' issue. For example, and this also goes back towards the recent civil rights thread. A man an women create a life that is partly both of them, but there is no equality for the result of that relationship. The male has a lot of responsibility, but really no rights. He can not legally chose to terminate the new life, yet he can be held responsible for the financial support of that very life. If he wants to raise and nurture the life the two have created, he has no right to keep her from destroying that life. Basically he has responsibility with no rights.

So far we have the mother as the judge in whether the unborn person (I won't say baby because then the semantics games begin, but DNA testing will confirm the unborn living being is in fact human). In this case, sadly, the mother has been killed, so she is out of the loop on whether the unborn should be destroyed or not. Now it is up to whatever convoluted laws the legistlators wrote and how well the lawyers can make the judge see what was really meant by those laws.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy is charged with two murders. One for the girlfriend, and one for the unborn baby. Yet we pay doctors to kill unborn children, and don't charge them with murder? We have late term abortions, partial birth abortions, yet this is acceptable? We have a potentially viable infant that we simply discard out of inconvenience? I find the crime this guy potentially committed repugnant, but I also find abortion in general repugnant with exceptionally rare exceptions (ie circumstances in which a choice has to be made between the infants life and life of the mother).

Is it just me, or does anyone else see this as extremely hypocritical?
No moreso than "Abortions are bad! Condoms/contraceptives are bad! Kids must not have abortions or know about contraceptives!!!!"

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I view it this way. If the fetus was of an age to survive outside the womb, then double homocide is justified. That point in development is pretty well documented in medical literature. If it's not possible for the fetus to have lived, then I would not charge for both.

I somewhat view abortion the same way. I don't like it but I'm not willing to tell a woman what she can and can't do with her body. That said, once the pregnancy has progressed to the point where the fetus could live outside the womb, then the woman who has had several months to make this decision has waited too long and her right to choose an elective abortion should be severely limited, if not taken away. At that point, severe medical concerns should be what determines whether the pregnancy is aborted, or not.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 9th month makes all the difference in this case. I don't know of any states that would have permitted an abortion that far along. That fetus was a viable child and therefore a second murder.

The debate in general seems to range around 'viable child'. Is masturbation the murder of thousands? Only a very few think so. Is a 9th month abortion murder? Most folks seem to think so. Where you draw your personal line between those two points is the source of a lot of friction.

It's sort of like George Carlin on driving: Ever notice, no matter how fast you drive, anybody driving faster is a maniac and everybody driving slower is an idiot?

For my money, I've found believing in reincarnation helps with many of my personal questions about such matters.

Latest Discussions