The Mystical "Street" ???

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Could someone let me know the location of this Magical Valhalla where Martial Artists can go and test their skills. The "WEAK" and "IMPROPERLY TRAINED" will be vanquished and the true Martial Artist will be forever vindicated.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
yeah,

put your gi, dobuk or whatever you call it on and dont forget your black belt.

walk down the streets in Philadelphia (not center city but any of the surrounding areas like South Philly, West Philly, Northeast Philly, Strawberry mansion, etc...) around 10 PM on Friday night (11pm on Sat) and you will get more than one chance to test your skills.:rofl:

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its somewhere in the mystical mind of the loud mouthed who are unable to compete in the sport so they make up excuses to justify their inabilities.
By the way... you have to be dead before you can go to Valhalla.

Could someone let me know the location of this Magical Valhalla where Martial Artists can go and test their skills. The "WEAK" and "IMPROPERLY TRAINED" will be vanquished and the true Martial Artist will be forever vindicated.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...I understand where you are coming from. It is more of a perception of a paranoid entity. One must be prepared for the unknown and always present ever coming danger.

When people talk about the "streets", I think they are more talking about the readiness to fend off the one in a million possibility of someone that could do them harm.

There are of course thousands of muggings, rapes, robberies, and abductions daily. But when you take thousands into billions the likely hood of this happening to most is small or almost insignificant. Still, no matter how small or unlikely there is still a chance and one must be prepared.

Now the problem is that in order for you to justify teaching and learning you must magnify the issue. Thus you need to one make where the possibilities are most likely to happen become the reason. Thus the "STREETS". Even if attacked in your home, workplace, woods, jail cell, church, supermarket, Dojang, Dojo, or wherever is more likely, the streets just sounds better and can encompass all areas.

So there you have it. From my crazy point of view anyways.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They watched too many bad MA movies (btw, the Steven Segal add in the header has me chuckling, nice photoshopping! he looks like Anakin Skywalker from the cartoon series!)

Somebody on another forum posted a statistics that these perulous disasters happen to a limited amount of people in certain limited areas.

The one guy's MA for defense in 'Street' is the homeowners gun to defend against a home invasion....

(and I don't think you need to wait till after 10 in Philly to get your A$$ handed to you, quiet possibly literally, too)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the street is any place outside of the confines of the dojo. The street, literally as in: walking to your car in the parking lot after work, the supermarket, a bar or club, etc. Everyone will train differently, for whatever their needs may be. To clarify needs...ie: weight loss, self defense/confidence, a way to relax and meet other people. Now, as I said, everyone trains for different reasons. I've been training long enough to see alot of reasons why people train. IMO, I think that we can break up people into 2 groups...1 group who trains for SD. They want to be able to defend themselves, friends or family, should the need arise. Group 2 trains for the reasons I listed above, ie: weight loss, etc.

I've often seen people in group 2 not train as hard or dedicated as group 1. If you want to train for SD, then I think that you'd want to make what you're doing as realistic as possible. Yes, you may never replicate a real attack 100%, but there are ways to get pretty darn close.

So, often the street is mentioned, because the training methods of some may be flawed, in the eyes of those that train harder. I think the question to ask is: Is what you're doing, is how you train, going to save you, if/when the time comes when you're not in the dojo, working with someone who isn't trying to KO you, is stopping their punch 2in away from your face, and standing like a statue, while you do your tech.

I dont feel that it has anything to do with being paranoid, but simply being aware, which IMO, if you're serious about SD, then thats a no brainer. Paranoid would be never leaving the house, and if you do, looking over your shoulder every 2 seconds. No, being aware and paranoid are 2 different things. Is it likely to happen? I'd say alot comes into play. Things like...where you do hang out? If you frequent trouble areas, such as bars, then yes, anytime drinking is involved, the chance for something to happen goes up. Do you work or live in a bad section of town? I think often people take things for granted. Just last week, while I was at work, I took a call from a guy who just got his *** kicked by 3 males, as he was attempting to deliver a pizza. Guy never saw it coming. Beat the **** out of him, took his cash and the pizza.

IMO, the people who think it will never happen to them, are the ones that dont take the extra precautions. I'm not paranoid, but when I pull into a parking lot, I take a look around, to see whats going on. I walk to my destination, aware of whats going on around me. I limit my distractions, such as chatting on the cell phone. There have already been countless threads on awareness on this forum that the search function can find, so no need for me to rehash it again. :)

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO, the street is any place outside of the confines of the dojo. The street, literally as in: walking to your car in the parking lot after work, the supermarket, a bar or club, etc. Everyone will train differently, for whatever their needs may be. To clarify needs...ie: weight loss, self defense/confidence, a way to relax and meet other people. Now, as I said, everyone trains for different reasons. I've been training long enough to see alot of reasons why people train. IMO, I think that we can break up people into 2 groups...1 group who trains for SD. They want to be able to defend themselves, friends or family, should the need arise. Group 2 trains for the reasons I listed above, ie: weight loss, etc.

I've often seen people in group 2 not train as hard or dedicated as group 1. If you want to train for SD, then I think that you'd want to make what you're doing as realistic as possible. Yes, you may never replicate a real attack 100%, but there are ways to get pretty darn close.

So, often the street is mentioned, because the training methods of some may be flawed, in the eyes of those that train harder. I think the question to ask is: Is what you're doing, is how you train, going to save you, if/when the time comes when you're not in the dojo, working with someone who isn't trying to KO you, is stopping their punch 2in away from your face, and standing like a statue, while you do your tech.

I dont feel that it has anything to do with being paranoid, but simply being aware, which IMO, if you're serious about SD, then thats a no brainer. Paranoid would be never leaving the house, and if you do, looking over your shoulder every 2 seconds. No, being aware and paranoid are 2 different things. Is it likely to happen? I'd say alot comes into play. Things like...where you do hang out? If you frequent trouble areas, such as bars, then yes, anytime drinking is involved, the chance for something to happen goes up. Do you work or live in a bad section of town? I think often people take things for granted. Just last week, while I was at work, I took a call from a guy who just got his *** kicked by 3 males, as he was attempting to deliver a pizza. Guy never saw it coming. Beat the **** out of him, took his cash and the pizza.

IMO, the people who think it will never happen to them, are the ones that dont take the extra precautions. I'm not paranoid, but when I pull into a parking lot, I take a look around, to see whats going on. I walk to my destination, aware of whats going on around me. I limit my distractions, such as chatting on the cell phone. There have already been countless threads on awareness on this forum that the search function can find, so no need for me to rehash it again. :)
I think we are on the same page. My use of the word "paranoid" was a tongue and cheek expression and used as an exaggerated term.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sorry that you all have led some safe pampered lives

I havnt

I have had more ACTUAL fights than I can remember. First growing up in a crappy part of town and having the misfortune of being born white

then the military

then working in the bars

if YOU havnt had the chance to test your training, consider yourself lucky, I can tell you, the experience is scary as hell.

butit DOES happen, and I have seen some great "athletes" get thier *** busted. By street fighters.

you train to leave your hands down around your waist, guess where they will go in a fight?

bad habits are bad

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well since I was never the pamper child of society, I can tell you this street fighting means any and all things are legal, Trashcans chains and all kinds of ****. I mean what has happen is the old days are now guns and more guns, if you are going to test your MA ability please have a gun and learn how to use it.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

There are places you can go for some training that is more "realistic" than others. The Dog Brothers believe in higher consciousness thru harder contact.
Peyton Quinn's RMCAT employs padded assailants and other tactics. But, still are all controlled environments.

I think Jim Wagner has an interesting program as well.

I am sure you could go to most any Biker Bar and shoot your mouth off and get some real world experience. But at what cost / benefit?

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score

It's a magical place. Everyone's a 260lb biker and the air's laced with PCP. Destrucity rules all.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

I havnt

I have had more ACTUAL fights than I can remember. First growing up in a crappy part of town and having the misfortune of being born white

then the military

then working in the bars

if YOU havnt had the chance to test your training, consider yourself lucky, I can tell you, the experience is scary as hell.

butit DOES happen, and I have seen some great "athletes" get thier *** busted. By street fighters.

you train to leave your hands down around your waist, guess where they will go in a fight?

bad habits are bad
Been there done that. Then I realized I did not really have to be there do that. Granfire stated right. There are only a limited amount of places that most of the bad stuff happens and most people choose to be there that are there. You did not have to work at a bar. You did not have to join the military. Just like I did not have to be at many of the places I got myself into trouble. Just took my dumb *** a while to figure it out.

Now being born in a bad neighborhood is a different story. Been there done that too. But I am glad my mom struggled to get us all out. Thanks Mom.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there are just two different types that get in to this art. I can tell you that plenty of the top folks out there grew up or were placed in situations that either led them to train or showed them what worked and what did not. My self I grew up in Baltimore City. Thats all I will say.
Clearly there are people who have fought, will fight if they have to and train for a fight should it come up.
Then there are then those that make the comment that these folks cant do sport. They will never be in a fight hopefully. Never felt they would and dont really train as such. Thats great! I wish the world was that way for my children and everyone else.
I also agree. Live in that world of sport and training and enjoy. That is all good. At the same time for their own reason know that folks still train to really defend themselves or to teach their kids such based on what they have experienced or feel pretty sure may be out there.
You can train hard and spar hard and teach a much more aggressive art if that benefits you. That is the magical street thats being talked about. Its turning your mat in to a hard place.

Dave O.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I havnt

then the military

then working in the bars

bad habits are bad

I did not grow up pampered. I have had more than one chance to defend myself. I repo'd cars in South Central LA from 1989 to 1992. I have been shot at. People have attempted to stab me. I even had a guy try to split me in half with an ax off a tow truck. I bounced at bars in college. I was able to fend of 3 muggers in Cabo San Lucas (last year) I have been in many scrapes. I have seen great athletes (mostly college football players) get beat up badly in bars by skinny little locals. The only formal martial arts training that I received was in the Military. The real question is why do we assume so much? Just because someone finds humor in the term "The Street" it is assumed that they have lived a pampered life. Some assume that a Martial Artist that does Sport TKD is unable to defend himself I know quite a few people on Sport TKD that have lived a rough life and are quite capable of defending themselves.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did not grow up pampered. I have had more than one chance to defend myself. I repo'd cars in South Central LA from 1989 to 1992. I have been shot at. People have attempted to stab me. I even had a guy try to split me in half with an ax off a tow truck. I bounced at bars in college. I was able to fend of 3 muggers in Cabo San Lucas (last year) I have been in many scrapes. I have seen great athletes (mostly college football players) get beat up badly in bars by skinny little locals. The only formal martial arts training that I received was in the Military. The real question is why do we assume so much? Just because someone finds humor in the term "The Street" it is assumed that they have lived a pampered life. Some assume that a Martial Artist that does Sport TKD is unable to defend himself I know quite a few people on Sport TKD that have lived a rough life and are quite capable of defending themselves.
I agree. I know of a few "sport tkd" guys that I wouldnt mess with. The mystical 'street' is full of stereo types , for example , high kicks will NEVER work on the 'street' , sport martial artists will NEVER win on the 'street' , kicks will NEVER work on the 'street' , on the 'street' 90% of all fights go to the ground etc etc. Ive seen these stereo types proven wrong too many times on the 'street' to take much notice of them , then again maybe the streets are different here in australia. A funny example of this occured a couple of weeks ago , my apprentice was at a pretty wild party that spilled out onto the "street" and a few gate crashers started some trouble. One big guy stormed down the street swinging his arms and threatening to smash the next person who got in his way. Unfortunately for him the next person who got in his way (a tkd black belt) , dropped an axe kick on the guy's head and knocked him out cold in front of hundereds of onlookers. When the apprentice told us about it at work the next day he said , and I quote , "I didnt think axe kicks worked on the street". I could only laugh.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I agree. I know of a few "sport tkd" guys that I wouldnt mess with. The mystical 'street' is full of stereo types , for example , high kicks will NEVER work on the 'street' , sport martial artists will NEVER win on the 'street' , kicks will NEVER work on the 'street' , on the 'street' 90% of all fights go to the ground etc etc. Ive seen these stereo types proven wrong too many times on the 'street' to take much notice of them , then again maybe the streets are different here in australia. A funny example of this occured a couple of weeks ago , my apprentice was at a pretty wild party that spilled out onto the "street" and a few gate crashers started some trouble. One big guy stormed down the street swinging his arms and threatening to smash the next person who got in his way. Unfortunately for him the next person who got in his way (a tkd black belt) , dropped an axe kick on the guy's head and knocked him out cold in front of hundereds of onlookers. When the apprentice told us about it at work the next day he said , and I quote , "I didnt think axe kicks worked on the street". I could only laugh.

I saw allot of good Sport TKD fighters from Australia last year at the US OPEN.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
.... My self I grew up in Baltimore City. Thats all I will say.

Mee too. what part? When? Do i know you???????

pssss.... i'm W.... too!
icon11.gif
so i know where your coming from!

Latest Discussions