I am not a fighter.... I am not a warrior...

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a fighter (competitor inside a tournament or in the streets), I am not a warrior ( a guy who make war like a soldier) I am just a regular guy who likes learn and practice martial arts, so then what am I?

In mi teens I fought in no morer than 10 tournaments, I think I don't like to play the game, I just love to train, now as an adult I train to get healthy and certanly to know how to defend myself if need it, but I am not looking for troubles in the street,bars or bad neighborhoods, so then who am I? I think there are hundresd of thousands of MA practiciones like my around the globe.

I'm just a TKD guy.

Manny

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I love martial arts but dont see myself as a 'fighter'. For this reason I dont tell even many of my mates that I do martial arts because when they find out they say "oh wow , you're learning to fight , you must kick ***" which really annoys me as I see learning how to defend myself as a useful by product of my training but not the reason I do it. Since starting tkd I have become very fit , very flexible and my reflexes and strength have also improved vastly and as an added bonus I can defend myself if need be. Im certainly no warrior or fighter though.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I AM a fighter and a Warrior and I am going to kick both of your....nah, just kidding. One of the great things about martial arts are the intrinsic benefits of steady practice. You do not even have to be good in order to reap some of those benefits. As long as you work hard, you can get stronger, more flexable, better able to defend yourself if needbe, and overall, a more well-rounded person. While I do occasionally participate in tournaments, and I do prepare for the ellusive potential random violent encounter, I could hardly be considered a fighter or a warrior either. What I am though, is a martial artist. That is the path I choose to walk, though it is rarely easy.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have to actually be in a fight to be a warrior? Think about it. There are plenty of historical figures and leaders who I would consider warriors. Gandhi is a notable example.

I hope that some of you are not doing yourself a disservice by being so 'meek' in your training. It's fine if you don't ever expect to find yourself in a violent encounter. Regardless, you should train every moment as if you will be in one the next day. Otherwise, what separates your martial art from a Tae-Bo class?

Respectfully,

DA

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Back in 1984 I saw the karate kid movie maybe three times, I was 17 and was doing TKD for almost a year. I really liked the movie cause Daniel Laruosso had some afinities with me in that moment, if you remeber Daniel was forced by circunstances to fight the people who bullied him and the only thing he had was Mr.Miaygi and the karate learning/training. I think I train MA just like the Karate Kid, to overcome some things in life and to be prepared if need it.

Manny

Dinkus Mayhem

White Belt
Reaction score
I like to think of myself as simply being a student. I am in TKD in order to learn about my body, mind, the art of TKD, the culture and history of Korea, etc.

No matter what rank I am, there is always something more I can learn in each of the above mentioned categories.

Do I fight in tournaments? I have. Do I love to compete in forms, breaking and weapons, absolutely. Does that make me a fighter or warrior? In my mind no, these things are simply tools that I use as a student to learn more about myself, my limits, and the level of ability I have achieved.

Hopefully I never stop learning.

Otherwise, what separates your martial art from a Tae-Bo class?

My answer to this would be history and culture, Tae-Bo has neither of these things.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Back in 1984 I saw the karate kid movie maybe three times, I was 17 and was doing TKD for almost a year. I really liked the movie cause Daniel Laruosso had some afinities with me in that moment, if you remeber Daniel was forced by circunstances to fight the people who bullied him and the only thing he had was Mr.Miaygi and the karate learning/training. I think I train MA just like the Karate Kid, to overcome some things in life and to be prepared if need it.

I enjoyed the Karate Kid movies too. The funny thing is my own sensei, a native Okinawan, hated them. He thought they depicted a state of fortune cookie martial arts that didn't exist anywhere when he was coming up. On the rare occasions that he shared his training anecdotes, it was evident that his training from his teachers was rather rough.

Martial arts were created first and foremost for fighting. I fear that if you forget that fundamental fact, you're shifting from martial art to just art.

Quest

White Belt
Reaction score
I started because I was in awe of Ninja movies in the 80's. I wanted to learn how kick and punch and use those weapons. Most people begin Martial Arts to learn how kick and punch. For those who stick with it long enough, they find its a path toward fitness and general health - mental, physical, and spirtial. It becomes a way of life.

I agree with Dancingalone. After a while, Martial Artists become philosophers, historians, artists. Its a paradox, learn how to fight so you don't have to. One thing I have learned is we become a defender, not just of ourselves and family, but for those who can't protect themselves.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I am not a fighter (competitor inside a tournament or in the streets), I am not a warrior ( a guy who make war like a soldier) I am just a regular guy who likes learn and practice martial arts, so then what am I?

In mi teens I fought in no morer than 10 tournaments, I think I don't like to play the game, I just love to train, now as an adult I train to get healthy and certanly to know how to defend myself if need it, but I am not looking for troubles in the street,bars or bad neighborhoods, so then who am I? I think there are hundresd of thousands of MA practiciones like my around the globe.

I'm just a TKD guy.

Manny

I have known a lot of very good martial artists that didn't like to fight and most certainly did not want to go to war..... but they could fight if they had to... and they were just people.... that's all.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear ya Manny. What is it about us regular guys who like to kick stuff...but we're not out lookign for fights. We're not law officers or soldiers on the front lines? Who are we and why do we do what we do?

I started training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu in addition to my TKD this year. Through my isntructor I was intr4oduced to a high level BBT guy by the name of Jack Hoban (my instructor's main teacher). He's a former Marine and really neat guy. He's a bit of a martial philospher...he introduced to me the idea of the citizen warrior. Basically, the people who, while not on the front lines fighting wars or fighting crime...but who are out there using their skills to protect others that need protecting and making the world a better place. We're teachers, fathers, mothers....we tend to help others from day to day...and oh yeah, we also train martial arts and can, if need be, use our hard earned skills to protect ourselves and others. He got the idea from Bob Humphrey's Warrior's creed:
“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there. Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend. Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.”

It's a neat concept and I see some merit to it. Maybe that's where guys like you and me fit in.

Peace,
Erik

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hear ya Manny. What is it about us regular guys who like to kick stuff...but we're not out lookign for fights. We're not law officers or soldiers on the front lines? Who are we and why do we do what we do?

I started training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu in addition to my TKD this year. Through my isntructor I was intr4oduced to a high level BBT guy by the name of Jack Hoban (my instructor's main teacher). He's a former Marine and really neat guy. He's a bit of a martial philospher...he introduced to me the idea of the citizen warrior. Basically, the people who, while not on the front lines fighting wars or fighting crime...but who are out there using their skills to protect others that need protecting and making the world a better place. We're teachers, fathers, mothers....we tend to help others from day to day...and oh yeah, we also train martial arts and can, if need be, use our hard earned skills to protect ourselves and others. He got the idea from Bob Humphrey's Warrior's creed:
“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there. Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend. Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.”

It's a neat concept and I see some merit to it. Maybe that's where guys like you and me fit in.

Peace,
Erik

I am not a fighter.

I am not one who battles with weapons or beats people up.

But I do consider myself a warrior. There are many ways to be one, other than going to war.

The above example is awesome.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Peace,
Erik

That's it Erik! that's why as you I am learning another martial art in my case Kenpo Karate or American Kenpo (Ed Parker), I have a good frien who is a shodan in karate do and also a shodan in Budo Taijutsu, he invited me to learn Budo Taijutsu but I liked more the Kenpo Karate.

I am a student also, I consider myself one student hunger of knowledge in something I just love, don't like to fight but if I need or forced to I will.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have to actually be in a fight to be a warrior? Think about it. There are plenty of historical figures and leaders who I would consider warriors. Gandhi is a notable example.

I would say no, very firmly. Something I was taught as a child in the late-60's/early-70's and first starting in the martial arts.

Do not kill when maiming is enough.
Do not maim when breaking is enough.
Do not break when holding is enough.
The mightiest warrior is he who never has to hurt anyone.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would say no, very firmly. Something I was taught as a child in the late-60's/early-70's and first starting in the martial arts.

Do not kill when maiming is enough.
Do not maim when breaking is enough.
Do not break when holding is enough.
The mightiest warrior is he who never has to hurt anyone.

Yes, that was rather my point. You don't have to be involved in violence to be a warrior. Given that understanding, why surrender one's edge a priori. You are how you train. So if you even want a semblance of a chance of this stuff working for you down the line, train hard, train smart, and train with a warrior's attitude!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a student... as we all should be regardless of rank. the learning never ends.

Latest Discussions