S

soccer50

Muay Thai says a man has 8 weapons,

2 - Hands
2 - Elbows
2 - Knees
2 - Legs

What about head butts?

I personally prefer close quarters combat, where I can use my most effective tools, my elbows, knees, and head. Out of all of them, I find the elbows to be the best. I read a thread about upperbody vs lowerbody attacks, and noticed how all of you guys agree on upper body attacks being the most practical. Out of all the upperbody weapons you have, what do you find to be most effective in ending a fight?

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds silly, yet I think it is the Head. To keep a clear mind and to stay focused and to pay attention, t process all the data and defend yourself.

Just my opinion
:asian:

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the situation. A finger in the eye or throat is usually a good fight ender.

But, of the things you mentioned, I would have to go with the elbow.

A guy I knew was in a bar. He got caught with a single elbow during a fight (he claims he was an innocent bystander ... don't know if I believe him but it's irrelevant to the story at this point). The elbow collapsed the zygomatic arch next to his right eye. The eye was nearly lost and he had to have reconstructive surgery. They had to replace the bone with a titanium plate.

From one elbow.

As far as the "8 weapons" ... I'd say there's a lot more than that ... depends on how you break them down. At the minimum, I'd add forearm, head, and shins. But you could also add shoulders, fingers, palms, and more.

Mike

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted fist, much more becuase it's the hands. The brain (head) is important, but can do what it needs to do with a body part. So therefor I put the hands (fist). THey are the most vertisle (sp?), and can do many different things; grab, pock, punch, slap, touch...

/Yari

OP
J

Jill666

I voted head- not in the literal sense. I only headbutted someone once and was astonished at how much it hurt! Although it is effective. But if the brain is working, then I have weapons galore.

On a lighter note, my husband (when he was about 13 years younger and coked up) once got into a fight, and swung his guitar by the neck at his attacker. Thock! :anic: It wasn't pretty. But again, it was effective. :rolleyes:

OP
M

Mormegil

I'm surprised, someone named "soccer" didn't list legs as a choice in the vote.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Since I assume the poll was referring to physical instruments, I voted fist. But I have to agree with everyone else, your head is pretty much the best weapon you've got. And I think you're seriously underestimating the practicality and effectiveness of lower body attacks.

Originally posted by Jill666
On a lighter note, my husband (when he was about 13 years younger and coked up) once got into a fight, and swung his guitar by the neck at his attacker. Thock! :anic: It wasn't pretty. But again, it was effective. :rolleyes:

Jill, did your husband yell out "Kabong!"?

OP
M

MartialArtist

I'm the outside speed type of fighter... Although I'm not built like it, I've been most successful that way. So thus, my hands, my shins, or my insteps are my main tools.

What I'm worst at is in-fighting with elbows and knees. I just don't feel comfortable with that yet. I do use a lot of knees, but it's more of a get-in and get-out type of thing. However, I do like to grapple though when the time comes.

I personally don't like headbutts. Some people swear by them, but it's just not me.

OP
S

soccer50

Pervert?

I was talking mainly about the ypperbody weapons. They are the most used

OP
S

Shinzu

i voted for fist, but i think the hips should be in there also. this actually plays a major part in all your power

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu
i voted for fist, but i think the hips should be in there also. this actually plays a major part in all your power

Nice point!

/Yari

OP
D

Despairbear

Umm.. How about your brain.

Despair Bear

OP
S

Shinzu

true. sometimes thinking a situation through before "doing" it can actually your skin.

OP
R

RCastillo

cause when that goes, so will everything else.

:asian:

OP
S

silencethehero

I'd have to say whatever is handy is most effective. I'll bite someone's nose off if I have to. I'm a rip, tear, poke kind of fighter, not block, stance and strike. It ain't dirty if you're already at the party.