I'm Looking for A Weapon Art for Supplementation

M

MartialArtist

Something with escrimas / short sticks, knife fighting and how to at least attempt to defend against them unarmed, handgun removal, and with a lot of staff and sword fighting.

I have experience in handguns as in quick draws, match shooting, and IPDA. However, I have received the bare minimum which I don't think is enough. I have some staff and sword experience and was pretty good at it, but I want to pick this up for more of a recreation thing again. I also think it can't hurt to be familiar with short sticks.

Currently, I'm looking at arnis and kendo or kumdo.

OP
O

ob2c

A lot of the TKD schools around here train in Arnis as well. It fits well with TKD, fills in a lot of the holes and adds flow. It is a good art. You probably already know that the principles, concepts and moves translate directly to a variety of weapons, including bladed, and to empty hands. It is effective and relatively easy to learn and adapt to other arts. I'd say it's a good choice for adding to TKD, and other arts as well. I just attended an Arnis seminar given by Datu Kelly Worden, and it was a lot of fun. I'm starting to work out a little with some of the Arnisedores myself.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by MartialArtist
Something with escrimas / short sticks, knife fighting and how to at least attempt to defend against them unarmed, handgun removal, and with a lot of staff and sword fighting.

I have experience in handguns as in quick draws, match shooting, and IPDA. However, I have received the bare minimum which I don't think is enough. I have some staff and sword experience and was pretty good at it, but I want to pick this up for more of a recreation thing again. I also think it can't hurt to be familiar with short sticks.

Currently, I'm looking at arnis and kendo or kumdo.

If you are looking at realistic material you might want to look into some cane training. It can be carried anywhere and is a very effective weapon.

OP
A

A.R.K.

As far as Edged weapon use/defense and firearm disarms I would recommend Krav Maga if one is available to you. I don't know all of their techniques but the training I have recieved was very quick and practical. Nothing fancy but it's worked for them street/combat wise.

I don't know personally, but I remember someone mentioning Paul Vulnak [sp?] for this type of thing. Can't vouch for him personally but perhaps worth checking?

:asian:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Let me elaborate... The sword and bo staff is more for recreation, I really do not care for the footwork, distance judging, etc. although it'll help... That's not the reason I want to pick it up. For stick fighting, knife fighting, and guns, I found a modern arnis school nearby that I'm going to check out. I also found out that my friend has a brother who is very good in kumdo, went to many tournaments and was ranked very high in the world. Never heard of him but I'm going to get private lessons from him.

OP
R

Rob Wilson

Hello,

I am an arnisador, so obviously I am biased but I would spend some time looking at Filipino or Indonesian arts if you can find them in your area. Why? Because these arts assume that if you can't fight very well then you had better get a weapon pronto to even the odds, ergo they teach weapons to complete beginners. They stress angles as opposed to individual strikes so it is easier to learn various weapons such as stick, bolo, dulo, barong, itak, latigo, pinuti etc weapons you may have never heard of but you can apply similar tactics and lines of attack to using a baseball bat, hockey stick, umbrella, flashlight, belts, shoes, pencil etc. The Filipino Martial Arts also stress the fact that your opponent will know your techniques so there is always a counter to the original technique and then a counter to the counter and then another counter technique. Also, at Filipino functions you will eat extremely well.

Good Luck

Rob

Latest Discussions