Why the art of eight limbs is so important

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My daughter is 15 and has been taking Muay Thai for nearly two years now. What I find holding the mitts for her or the kicking shield is that her most powerful weapons are knees and elbows. Specifically knees.

She does have a decent low kick, but practically speaking if she had to damage someone with strikes she would be far stand the best chance of doing it with knees and elbows. There is legit power in her knees specifically.

One of the things I have come to appreciate about the art of eight limbs is that you develop so many different weapons that a person can identify what tends to work best for them and has a variety of options.

If she was just taking boxing, she would probably punch a little better, but structurally she is not likely ever going to be a power puncher. But those knees can damage.

I know a lot of system have token exposure to knees and elbows, but the Thais really do develop all of the eight limbs consistently and well.

This is one of the things that keeps me motivated train and recommend Muay Thai specifically.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
It really is a well rounded art, not to mention the clinch and sweeps of advanced players. Simply holding the pads for strong MT fighters can be a painful experience.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I recommend dance. It goes very well with Muay Thai.

You might already be doing that but I have to say gymnastics and dance are top notch for early development, and will def improve kickboxing skill.