The Methods of Generating Power

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
jdinca said:
Depends on the timing of the movement. All should be in motion at the moment of impact but all should stop together at the end of the strike. The waist followed by the shoulders, or by the leg in the case of a kick, creates torque at the beginning of the movement and it unwinds as the arm or leg moves. The result is more speed which is more power. Again, timing is the key.

I would actually say the they begin moving at the same time. Pivot from the feet, thru the waist and shoulders and down the arm to the fist, but it all initiates together, at the same time. And yes, when impact happens they are all still moving, with the possible exception of the feet.

If the waist moves first, then the shoulders and arm, you have already lost the potential power that the waist gives. In short, you have separated your upper body from your base, in terms of generating power. You are now relying on only the physical strength of the upper body, with whatever pivoting benefit that you can get from the shoulders. But if you relax completely and keep the whole body moving together, then you can hit just as hard, if not harder, but exert much less effort.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Zoran said:
The problem will be that you will telegraph your strike if you move your waist or body first.

The movement isn't that exaggerated and the timing has the rest of the body coming right behind it. There shouldn't be enough time for it to be telegraphed. I would much rather use the larger mass of the body to initiate the torque for a strike than the arm, with the body following behind.

All I can tell you is that once I was able to utilize this concept, my speed and power increased dramatically.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jdinca said:
The movement isn't that exaggerated and the timing has the rest of the body coming right behind it. There shouldn't be enough time for it to be telegraphed. I would much rather use the larger mass of the body to initiate the torque for a strike than the arm, with the body following behind.

All I can tell you is that once I was able to utilize this concept, my speed and power increased dramatically.
What you telegraph in the obscure zone, is not a telegragh. Its obscure. I agree with jdinca on this point.
Sean

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I worked my punches this way for years, until I met Dr. Roger Greene about 3 years ago. He taught me the theory behind moving the part of the body that travels the farthest first. Kyoshi Greene has the reputation of being one of the hardest hitters around. I know that in about 3 hours, he managed to significantly increase my power, and significantly increase the range over which I could use it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bumping this back for discussion. :) I feel that this is an important aspect in Kenpo.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
perhaps this question could be made more specific. there are many factors that come into play depending on the situation and the weapon and the angle, the direction. Generating power into a strike can work differently. In many cases it comes down to timing, use of mass / rooting and proper mechanics. that covers what...how isanother question

respectfully,
marlon

Latest Discussions