The Manual...

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In your school do you provide any type of written documentation for what the student is learning? I dont mean just the certificate for advancing a level either.

In Kenpo we got a small book every time we advanced on the stuff we tested on. It was great, it had all the techniques and descriptions, forms with descriptions (how to do them), something non the history, something that pertained to that level (certain strikes or kicks), weapons techniques and so on.... I still have mine.

The FBI gave me a disk with video clips of every technique and descriptive breakdowns and additional background information as well.

In Bujinkan Ninjutsu, circa 1989, I got something similar but it was handed out in advance. When I started in Budo Taijutsu I was told that it was ixnay and not allowed, I wasn't even allowed to bring in pad and pen to scribe it myself although Richard Van Donk sells a manual.... a fairly vague one but a manual that helps if you have been through training.

Do you do this or does your Teacher/Sensei/Instructor?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
we peovide a "book" that tells what the student will need for each level of advancement. However only the names of techniques , forms, etc. are in it. It is up to the student to fill in the discription as they learn. When tested the book must be presented and we check to make sure it is complet.
The student should have all that is required written down, plus other thecniques, forms, and thoughts on both in techniqual lanquage and his own wording on everything.
If only the required fill ins are there to me it means the student has not applied themslef to learning more than required for rank OR they do not fully pay attention durring class to what is being said and demonstrated.
The "book" is only intended as a guide and is not to be considered a complet sylabuse(sp) of training required.

sorry no spell check on this comp

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes we have one but it is more of a guide than a actual manuel for the school, I ask all my people to bring in a journal to keep notes that they will understand. I believe it is the responsibility of each student to be prepared as much as possible.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As Terry said we also require a notebook to be brought to class each day.
A great thing to have down the road a few years to refer back to and to see what your thoughts where from year to year

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I require students to bring pen & paper and maintain a notebook. I see no point in prohibiting students from making notes for their own use!

I'll occasionally have handouts for a particular topic; often, they're intended to serve in part as a notetaking template or to save me spending an hour on lecture. There are other written books and manuals available, as well.

I do generally prohibit video taping. Part of it is simple vanity, part of it is simply that I'm not convinced that people who spend their time trying to get it all on video actually pay attention to the lesson as it's taught. And part of it is following my teacher's practice. He doesn't permit it, either!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No official book for us, although I've heard of some groups that put them out. Montiero has an entire course... not sure if it's worth it or not.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
No manual here. Our thought process is a student needs to have it the info down cold in order to use it under stress.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In IRT we have a manual that serves as more of a guide. After someone has been around a year or so they usually pick one up then.
icon6.gif

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I provide a spreadsheet showing which drills and basics I teach for a particular level, then provide additional resources such as short vid clips showing the basic pattern, footwork, or drill. Those vid clips aren't designed as instructionals for beginners but more as reminders.

I do not provide a manual, I encourage people to write things down because it is an important tool in "reloading" the information mentally, but I don't require it. I find retention is notably better on those who do go home and write it down, but at the same time it is those types of martial nerds (like me) that use the exercise to catalogue and organize their systems mentally.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is only the one original codex for our style and this is kept under lock and key and moved from one location to the next on a random basis.

The style is just too deadly to put down on paper and distribute, even to students. If it ever fell into the wrong hands it could alter the balance of world power.

I probably should not even have mentioned this, come to think of it. I really can't say anymore.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your school do you provide any type of written documentation for what the student is learning? I dont mean just the certificate for advancing a level either.

In Kenpo we got a small book every time we advanced on the stuff we tested on. It was great, it had all the techniques and descriptions, forms with descriptions (how to do them), something non the history, something that pertained to that level (certain strikes or kicks), weapons techniques and so on.... I still have mine.

The FBI gave me a disk with video clips of every technique and descriptive breakdowns and additional background information as well.

In Bujinkan Ninjutsu, circa 1989, I got something similar but it was handed out in advance. When I started in Budo Taijutsu I was told that it was ixnay and not allowed, I wasn't even allowed to bring in pad and pen to scribe it myself although Richard Van Donk sells a manual.... a fairly vague one but a manual that helps if you have been through training.

Do you do this or does your Teacher/Sensei/Instructor?

All of the Kenpo schools that I've been at, including my current one, provides a list of required material for each belt level. This list provided written breakdowns for the techs, and there were some for the katas. Personally, I like this idea, because its a good reference tool for the students.

However, this has changed. Now, my school just provides the requirement lists, but no breakdowns. Its been determined that its better for the student to take their own notes. I agree that this is a good idea, however, I liked the idea of having something somewhat standard, written down. The reason being, because like it or not, every teacher will most likely do something different. At least with the written breakdown, everyone would for the most part be on the same page, even if somene made a slight alteration.

Now, one would think that everyone would be on the same page. When I teach, I teach the material the way I was taught by my teacher. Whether I like that way or not, thats the way I teach. However, I also give the students other ways of looking at a tech., so everything works out in the end anyways.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
All of the Kenpo schools that I've been at, including my current one, provides a list of required material for each belt level. This list provided written breakdowns for the techs, and there were some for the katas. Personally, I like this idea, because its a good reference tool for the students.

However, this has changed. Now, my school just provides the requirement lists, but no breakdowns. Its been determined that its better for the student to take their own notes. I agree that this is a good idea, however, I liked the idea of having something somewhat standard, written down. The reason being, because like it or not, every teacher will most likely do something different. At least with the written breakdown, everyone would for the most part be on the same page, even if somene made a slight alteration.

Now, one would think that everyone would be on the same page. When I teach, I teach the material the way I was taught by my teacher. Whether I like that way or not, thats the way I teach. However, I also give the students other ways of looking at a tech., so everything works out in the end anyways.

At my old kenpo school the instructors were provided the "official notes" everyone else had to make do off of their personal notes. This (sort of) ensured that the instructors were coming from the same place and that the students had the experience of transcribing their own notes. That said, in rereading those old notes of mine, well, they aren't very good. :D

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My old school gave out manuals with a very basic history of goju ryu and karate in general, a list of requirements at each rank (but no explanation, just the name of kata and techniques), japanese-to-english translations of techniques, etiquette, rules, and the like. It also had bunch of superfluous information that was not really relevant, occasionally useful and sometimes, to my mind anyway, kind of overbearing and inappropriate (why you should take X brand of supplements or listen to Y motivational speaker). Potentially good advice, but not really karate manual material.

By 2nd kyu, if not before, we were expected to bring a notebook to class, although we never got a chance to write in them until class was over except while preparing for a dan test.

Videos were occasionally made by the sensei but they were highly regulated and students were never allowed to actually keep a copy even if it was of themselves. There were also call sheets kept in the dojo for the instructors listing the order of kihon and combinations for each rank, which students were also forbidden to have copies of. Most of the instructors and the better students memorized them anyway.

For my new school, I wasn't given a manual, but I joined as a black belt - there may well be one for the kyus.

Latest Discussions