The luck aggression principle

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think to be successful at fighting you have to mentally want to be there. Or at least committed to be there. And most people don't which is why most people suck. And put a half assed effort in to it.

Unless they are winning in which case they will probably be quite willing to hurt people.

And that is the reason for all the eyes closed throwing imaginary tennis balls that generally consists as a street fight.
Success is a spectrum, and its definition is subjective. But I understand your point. I don't think most people want to hurt other people, and that's an impediment to becoming really good at hurting other people.

Don’t get me wrong. Folks need to adapt to their environments. I just don't think that for most people, that means short circuiting our humanity. There are other stops on that train in between being helpless and being a killer.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Committed to being there" is a good way of describing it, verse "want to be there." By the nature of the situation choosing you (self-defense), even trained people don't want to be there in that situation. But they can be committed or even comfortable using appropriate force even if they don't want to be in that situation.
There's the nut of it. The difference between being committed and being comfortable. I'm suggesting that the former is desirable... the latter is not. Trying to teach regular people to be comfortable hurting or killing other people is counterproductive to a healthy society, in my opinion. That includes cops.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Success is a spectrum, and its definition is subjective. But I understand your point. I don't think most people want to hurt other people, and that's an impediment to becoming really good at hurting other people.

Don’t get me wrong. Folks need to adapt to their environments. I just don't think that for most people, that means short circuiting our humanity. There are other stops on that train in between being helpless and being a killer.
There is certainly a way of going about this that short cuts our humanity. Believe it or not you and I agree this is not good! I don't like the way cops, military combat troops and civilian self-defense training is typically taught. Specifically as it pertains to using counter violence. It leads to either hate or more realistically contempt for your fellow man. That's not good, abs can lead to some serious PTSD after a critical incident.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nobody's perfect.

Keep working on your passive aggressive insults. This one is full of irony. You mock me for not being perfect, while at the same time double down on your original mistake of misquoting me.

I'm not sure why I'm a target of yours, I can only suspect. But at this point you haven't even figured out what ammo to put in your gun, let alone even managed to hit paper with effective insults.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Keep working on your passive aggressive insults. This one is full of irony. You mock me for not being perfect, while at the same time double down on your original mistake of misquoting me.

I'm not sure why I'm a target of yours, I can only suspect. But at this point you haven't even figured out what ammo to put in your gun, let alone even managed to hit paper with effective insults.
Sure thing dude.

So, you're ex SWAT?.

Beyonce man? What.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sure thing dude.

So, you're ex SWAT?.

Beyonce man? What.
For the sake of clarity. Yes, I was SWAT. I was on a part time team and later a full time team. And for the record, if we were face to face I would offer you a hug. I'm a peaceful person, who would rather get along than be in conflict.

If you are up for changing our luck and choosing to get along, I'm for it.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
For the sake of clarity. Yes, I was SWAT. I was on a part time team and later a full time team. And for the record, if we were face to face I would offer you a hug. I'm a peaceful person, who would rather get along than be in conflict.

Well played, sir.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is certainly a way of going about this that short cuts our humanity. Believe it or not you and I agree this is not good! I don't like the way cops, military combat troops and civilian self-defense training is typically taught. Specifically as it pertains to using counter violence. It leads to either hate or more realistically contempt for your fellow man. That's not good, abs can lead to some serious PTSD after a critical incident.

I'm happy to hear that and agree with you. I appreciate that you have a nuanced perspective.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Get a room, you two.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hi Jared, I really like hugs too, and give them to my friends all the time.
My concern is only when both arms are trapped in the hug and my feet come off the ground.
Experiece tells me I will not like the landing. :eek:

Not implying that would happen when / if we meet. :)

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Jared, I really like hugs too, and give them to my friends all the time.
My concern is only when both arms are trapped in the hug and my feet come off the ground.
Experiece tells me I will not like the landing. :eek:

Not implying that would happen when / if we meet. :)
You have to hug someone to hip throw them, that's part of why I became a hugger.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's the nut of it. The difference between being committed and being comfortable. I'm suggesting that the former is desirable... the latter is not. Trying to teach regular people to be comfortable hurting or killing other people is counterproductive to a healthy society, in my opinion. That includes cops.
This sums things up admirably.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
What actual data is this based on? I suspect none, but if you have some, please share.
I saw this last night. I have two new students, I asked each to heel kick me in the gut. I do this and walk into the kick. Two reasons, first, to show them how off balance they are, second, to see what their natural reaction and propensity will be to/for kicking a person. In my experience, most think they want to do it, but they fail to follow through with full power until I repeatedly ask them to do it. There seems to be a lot of imagination in new students about what it means and what that experience feels like. It seems to me that a lot of people need permission to let it out. They generally thank me for the opportunity afterwards. I do the same thing when teaching any kind of reverse punch because hitting a person bare fisted is not the same experience as hitting a bag or hitting with gloves. I believe it’s different because it implies trust on my part and imparts the reality of contact in a way that feels safe and somewhat empowering for a new student. It may also inform some that they don’t strike as effectively as they might imagine they do. Again, this is just my opinion and evaluation of my experience. I have only been teaching 8 years, so there is much to learn on my part. Any feedback on this is welcomed.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree with this. Commitment is key, malicious intent can be useful but isn’t necessary. Emotion and intent can intertwine under stress. Being able and or willing to do violence to others doesn’t necessarily mean much without context, and certainly doesn’t address the implications of such action on an individuals view of their own humanity. This is interesting topically to me. I’m only speaking from my own experience here.

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually, that is quite precisely how research works.
Considering I’m dating a researcher pretty sure it’s not.

You don’t endlessly ask questions in the middle of research.

You create a question, some may call this a thesis. You then design an experiment. In this specific instance that experiment was asking a large number of people one or more questions.

There will always be a new question that can be asked with every new answer given. If you just asking one question after another you’ll never be able to get to the bottom of the original question that way.

The question of ‘why’ would be a research topic for a separate study.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering I’m dating a researcher pretty sure it’s not.
They should do their research then...
You don’t endlessly ask questions in the middle of research.
When your research is looking into behavior in a fire fight, you'd have to be brain dead not to ask "Why".

GojuTommy

Black Belt
Reaction score
They should do their research then...

When your research is looking into behavior in a fire fight, you'd have to be brain dead not to ask "Why".
I didn’t say you don’t ask why, just that’s not what you’re looking to answer in the initial study.

She already presented in Anaheim earlier this year and will be presenting at another conference at Oxford. She’s good on her research bones.

Latest Discussions