The non-aggression principle

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The non-aggression principle is an ethical statement about the initiation of force. Essentially, it states that the initiation of force against another person is wrong. This principle does not mean that self defense is wrong. If someone initiates force against you, you have every right to defend yourself. If someone is obviously going to initiate force against you, you have every right to preempt that force initiation.

Lately, I've done a lot of thinking about this principle and about how it applies to my martial arts practice. I came to the conclusion that my martial arts practice could act like a vehicle to apply this principle consistently throughout my life. All of the old masters wanted karate to be more then just an art for self defense. They wanted it to be something that you could use to cultivate a better personality, a better life. I think this ethical statement relates directly to the cultivation of self defense skills and, when applied broadly, will lead to a happier and more peaceful life.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss and blog about various examples of how this principle can be applied and maybe turn some of the lessons of karate into metaphors for personal development. Aloha.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
one thing that has always stood out to me in my study of the martial arts is how the methods and techniques that we practice can be absolutey devastatingly injurious to another human being. The fact that I can hit with such force, and with a method that I believe has the absolute capacity to kill outright, is both empowering and frightening.

That has always made me reluctant to use it on someone without a very compelling reason to do so. I do not see this as something to be lightly thrown about on a whim. In my opinion, recognizing how catastrophic the results can be when you use this stuff on another human being should be enough to discourage its use. Anyone who has a decent moral and ethical outlook and upbringing ought to be able to recognize this as a truth. Those who lack the moral and ethical background will not agree, and I don't know that the practice itself will necessarily build the morals and ethics to see it. I'd say that all depends on a lot of things.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the things that I've noticed about my students is that when we consider the effects of violence broadly on class, they tend to make changes in how they operate with other people.

A key to understanding this lies in the definition of terms. Force is violence and it is also is the threat of violence. Consider how many things in our life hinge on the threat of violence?

That's a life changing thought.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was taught that the important aspect of martial training was the development of character.(Bushido hitosuji)
I have stood by that and it has served me and mine well. I was also in Law Enforcement for many years, and the adapted Martial training was specific to the applying of force, many times (but not all) matching aggression with righteous aggression. (I like to think so, anyway)

A friend of mine says, "karate is what karate does". I think he has something there.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My jujutsu sensei recently shared this with us...

Watch your thoughts, they become intent.
Watch your intent, it becomes emotion.
Watch your emotions, they become what you say.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habit.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character - it becomes your destination.

As much as I agree with the above, I think it's missing a statement of morality. How can we watch our thoughts if we don't know what to watch for? As far as martial arts are concerned, I think the non-aggression principle could actually be the first rung on this ladder. I was also taught that character development was important in martial arts. How can we do that if we don't root our expectations in something?

Latest Discussions