the left side question

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Doc in part, for sport applications there is generally no need for left and right applications.
In real world street situations there is a need. In another thread like this one I gave me reasons why.
One should do what they feel is correct.
:ultracool

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
by the way, there have been some spirited discussions in the past here on martialtalk and at kenpotalk about this subject. If you search the archives for those threads, you might get some more insights as to why people believe what they believe. Probably the biggest thing you will notice is that this subject is sometimes pretty hotly debated.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with the most recent posts, there have been other threads where this has been covered. Now to add my two cents ...

I practice my techniques both right and left side. I even do my forms both right and left, just for the challenge. However, I could agree that left handed techniques may not be neccessary as long as a person practices all of their techniques against numerous attacks, including attacks from the left side. A lot of right handed techniques won't work as practiced against left handed attacks, try it, you'll see. I all honesty, I believe all techniques should be practiced from all aspects of how a person may attack.

One of my key points always is, if your mind runs into a situation, position or whatever, that it is not familiar with, it will freeze, if only for a milli-second. Against an experienced fighter, or a street thug, that milli-second can mean life or death. So put yourself into every conceivable position and situation during training, where losing means learning, not injury or death.

Practice every technique against right/left punches, hooks, uppercuts, kicks, various grabs, pushes, double punches, jabs, etc. You'll see immediately that certain techniques are better than others in certain situations, but that most can be adapted in one way or another as long as you block or avoid contact. Defending against a left hook is far different from a left jab, so on and so forth.

If I DO NOT practice techniques against a left attack, Murphy's Law tells me that is exactly what I'll run into in the street. Some would say that a person can be over prepared, others would say that you can't be prepared enough. I vote for the second thought in this case.

That's enough ... Just my two cents.

Latest Discussions