The importance and maybe secrets of the Dan-tian

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Heck the earliest know Dao De Jing is from around 300 BCE and then the silk scrolls show up around 200BCE. All long before Buddhism

and you have still not answered why you feel there is a similarity between the bhandas and taijiquan
This guy is confused but let's keep things factual (and as far as the "Chinese historians lie" junk, lets let the moderators deal with that...no waste time).

Buddhism and Taoism are about as old as each other both around 500BC or so. Lao Tzu and Siddhartha Gautama are both from around that century.

Buddhist legends in China predate the 2nd century AD, and the first Buddhist temple in China, the 白馬寺, was built around 70 BC.

Shaolin Si wouldn't be built for several hundred more years, and that was probably where Buddhism and Taoism in China truly began to ferment. There are only a few contemporary peers in that arena.

Oh I almost forgot! There are 3 Dan Tien in TCM, and 12 meridians, and one of them is 手少阳三焦经, and it's finger is .... Anybody?

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
This guy is confused but let's keep things factual (and as far as the "Chinese historians lie" junk, lets let the moderators deal with that...no waste time).

Buddhism and Taoism are about as old as each other both around 500BC or so. Lao Tzu and Siddhartha Gautama are both from around that century.

Buddhist legends in China predate the 2nd century AD, and the first Buddhist temple in China, the 白馬寺, was built around 70 BC.

Shaolin Si wouldn't be built for several hundred more years, and that was probably where Buddhism and Taoism in China truly began to ferment. There are only a few contemporary peers in that arena.

Oh I almost forgot! There are 3 Dan Tien in TCM, and 12 meridians, and one of them is 手少阳三焦经, and it's finger is .... Anybody?
Lol!🤣

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, he said mainland Chinese. So Taiwanese or other islanders may not be included in the group he named...this is somewhat of a tell.
Careful, I'm into weird and obscure systems. Oh hell, it's Friday why not.

Here's the system I'm currently training. This video sums up the mystery of all three Dan Tiens, all 12 meridians, all 12 bridges. Only a couple animals and elements though. If you want to know what those are, we'll have to save it for later (some of them are even in Wing Chun!) . I'm cooking and baking at the moment, and that kung fu takes priority in my little weird and obscure world. Working out the Iron Thread is for the morning and afternoon. Never right before bed, either.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Careful, I'm into weird and obscure systems. Oh hell, it's Friday why not.

Here's the system I'm currently training. This video sums up the mystery of all three Dan Tiens, all 12 meridians, all 12 bridges. Only a couple animals and elements though. If you want to know what those are, we'll have to save it for later (some of them are even in Wing Chun!) . I'm cooking and baking at the moment, and that kung fu takes priority in my little weird and obscure world. Working out the Iron Thread is for the morning and afternoon. Never right before bed, either.

Very entertaining video! This style/form seems to exhibit the elements on which the Okinawan kata, sanchin, is based on. (The name perhaps derived from sa'am chien.) Higaonna Kanryo likely brought this form (sanchin) back with him from his years spent in China. Miyagi further modified it and it remains a definitive kata of Gojuryu. And, yes, doing a form such as this can be dangerous and should be done full effort only by one in top internal condition. I still do it at age 70, but only at about 80% effort. Even then, I sometimes get a little dizzy. It's very challenging when done properly.

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very entertaining video! This style/form seems to exhibit the elements on which the Okinawan kata, sanchin, is based on. (The name perhaps derived from sa'am chien.) Higaonna Kanryo likely brought this form (sanchin) back with him from his years spent in China. Miyagi further modified it and it remains a definitive kata of Gojuryu. And, yes, doing a form such as this can be dangerous and should be done full effort only by one in top internal condition. I still do it at age 70, but only at about 80% effort. Even then, I sometimes get a little dizzy. It's very challenging when done properly.
It's like boiling this cabbage. First, I had to freeze it for a week.

Only THEN, when the time came to make halupke, was it ready for boiling, coring, peeling, packing, folding, basting, and baking.

As I boil my cabbage I'm still trying to figure out how the Triple Warmer isn't related to Qi. Struggling. The problem may lie on my pineal gland.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It’s like watching a French art film. I don’t get most of it, but what I do understand is interesting as heck.
It's interesting how that works. I find it fascinating that a lot of what I'm exposed to, and what I enjoy immensely, I don't really understand when I try to put it into words.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You know how to find your lower Dan Tien?

Place two fingers three inches below your navel, and blow.
cap-understood-reference-gif.28280

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Citations?
白马寺, 68 AD. When you think about how long it takes to decide to, and build a Buddhist temple...didn't happen overnight. The reason of the post 100AD association between Buddhist writing and Chinese thought is because it takes a few hundred years before monks start getting creative and writing down new material.

There's a whole proto-Buddhist period in Chinese culture that predates Christ. It's laid out in old stone foundations and Chinese texts.

MartialArtist1967

White Belt
Reaction score
Been reading this entire threads and amused me to find Oily Dragon been saying it all along about 12 meridians, 3 dantians, etc. There are several authors who wrote about qi/chi in the lower dantian to cultivate (or meditate, which is not exactly like yoga type). Mantak Chia, Livia Kohn, Fabrigio Pregadio, Eva Wong, David Clippinger, DB Smith, Wu Jyh Cherng, Mimi Kuo-Deemer, etc. I can go on and on when one finding to cultivate your lower dantian that you can find in their books. More importantly, find Daoist teacher/priest as s/he will tell you in correct way to do it. Again, I like how Oily Dragon described in this thread really does know what he's talking about.

Note: I do have several ebooks that I can upload if anyone wants to read about it. I have two or three EPUB and several others in PDF.

Latest Discussions