The ignore function: USE it

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
seriously

I used to never entertain the thought of using the ignore feature, i thought, "hey, no one is so bad that they cant contribute something to the dialog, right?"

well, other the years here, people have posted things that got me going, got me passionate, and i acted a fool sometimes in my responses.

That got ME in trouble

well, i am here to tell ya brothers and sisters, there is an answer

if someone just annoys you that much, hit the ignore button.

i still say, you ought to give everyone a chance to be right, they might surprise ya,

BUT

if someone "harshes your mellow"

just ignore them.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Will someone please quote Twin Fists original post...I can't read it because he's on my ignore list :uhyeah:

Agreed, I did not use it when I got here either but when I decided to use it things got a bit more relaxed. Currently I do not use it...I mean except for TF :)D) but that does not mean I will not use it if I see the need

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not use it except in very extreme cases, such as posting of outright hatred, spamming, or deliberate harrassment. As contentious as many of our arguments are here, I don't think anything I've read recently meets any of those.

Bigotted, spiteful, close-minded, ad hominem, childish? Certainly, but those are all a part of public discourse, and I don't want to start liberally applying blinders to what I don't like reading.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do not use it except in very extreme cases, such as posting of outright hatred, spamming, or deliberate harrassment. As contentious as many of our arguments are here, I don't think anything I've read recently meets any of those.

Bigotted, spiteful, close-minded, ad hominem, childish? Certainly, but those are all a part of public discourse, and I don't want to start liberally applying blinders to what I don't like reading.
Exactly! That, and I won't be ignored.:)
Sean

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't use it, but TF is right (did I actually just write that?) if someone is getting you so worked up that you are the one acting the fool, the ignore feature is your friend.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't use it, but TF is right (did I actually just write that?) if someone is getting you so worked up that you are the one acting the fool, the ignore feature is your friend.
As soon as you said TF was right, I ignored the rest of what you said. Can you rephrase that?:ultracool
Sean

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There's also the risk of the /ignored person actually typing something helpful or significant, and you missing it because you had them on ignore. I've encountered that on WoW before.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's also the risk of the /ignored person actually typing something helpful or significant, and you missing it because you had them on ignore. I've encountered that on WoW before.

Liar, nobody on WoW ever says anything significant or helpful! :D

I liken the ignore function to the act of sticking the fingers in your ears and go 'LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALALALALA'

However, in favor of my blood pressure and my forum status as active, I do put those folks into timeout that tend to be more offensive than helpful.

In my 10 year plus stay on various forums with differing features, I have only put a handful of people on ignore. Most I have taken off after a short while.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great advice.

We could take it one further and resist the impulse to accompany "ignore" with a post to the effect of "I'm ignoring you, poopiehead, nyah nyah nyah!"

Just sayin'.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do agree but, perhaps counter-intuitively, I do think it is actually polite to let someone know that they will be wasting their time 'talking' directly to you from a certain point. I believe the one time I've put someone on ignore here I did that.

Of course, turning it into a "having the last word and slamming the door moment" can be a bad thing if you turn it into a taunt.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How about just trying to keep the conversations polite and respectfull so we don't have to use the ignore feature?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about just trying to keep the conversations polite and respectfull so we don't have to use the ignore feature?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that would be like....acting our age, not hat size?!

You are so silly!

Latest Discussions