The Hobbit...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]sQ06qQZd5mc[/yt]

Would love to go but medical matters prevent it sad to say :(.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

This will be the 1st film I see in a long time in theaters.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We'll be there--hopefully at midnight! I've read it twice and am looking forward to it, as is my family.

My daughter is a Benedict Cumberbatch fan and is hoping his role in part one is nontrivial, even though most of his work would be nearer the end of the actual book.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We will certainly be seeing it, but NOT right away. I don't do crowds...

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was really looking forward to it until I just heard they chopped it up into 3 movies. :confused:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they tried to make it one movie, they'd have to cut out WAY too much....

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad its multiple movies, if they tried to fit it in one, too much would be missing and i'd just be disappointed.
Going to see it with my ex during winter break...somehow my gf's ok with that :confused:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I enjoyed the LoTR Trilogy and think Pete Jackson did a pretty good job. There are aspects that are outstanding and other parts that bother me more every time I watch the films.

So, I'm looking forward to watching these films, but I can wait a few days or weeks, I think, to avoid the initial rush.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad its multiple movies, if they tried to fit it in one, too much would be missing and i'd just be disappointed.
Going to see it with my ex during winter break...somehow my gf's ok with that :confused:

You like to live dangerously don't you?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If they tried to make it one movie, they'd have to cut out WAY too much....
Maybe, but how well it covers the book depends on what's cut out more than how much is cut out. The trilogy was 3 books/3 movies and though they cut out notable scenes, they gave an excellent representation of the books overall imo. Sometimes, more is just more and I don't see why it should be necessary a book over 3 movies. If they apply that kind of logic to the Silmarillion I can't even imagine how many books that would be.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I am expecting the added scenes to from the ROTK appendices, particularly the actions of the White Council against the Necromancer, which would provide another big dramatic fight scene in the middle and it would explain why Gandalf left the group in the middle of the quest. I don't see how they could add in Silmarillion material to this movie series, unless is it is in flashback form like how Fellowship opened.

OP
B

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I kind of wish they would have just done the Hobbit, in two parts. The added material might distract from the main story. If it is three books then we won't see you know who for another 2 years. I really wonder how they will handle him.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I kind of wish they would have just done the Hobbit, in two parts. The added material might distract from the main story. If it is three books then we won't see you know who for another 2 years. I really wonder how they will handle him.
You know who?

I don't know, Orlando Bloom prancing around Mirkwood?

Latest Discussions