The Guard in self defense?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Like I said, you don't know what the BJJ Guard is. The squeezing, as you put it....is to maintain control while setting up for something...whether a sweep or submission. Don't you think that someone in your guard is going to try to get out of it while also, striking at you? The squeezing is to limit their attacks and struggles.
AND you even said it your setting up for something. SOMETHING isnt guard its SOMETHING else
. Others, starts going for the triangle before they even hit the ground.
wonderful :rolleyes:and irrelevant to the topic

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AND you even said it your setting up for something. SOMETHING isnt guard its SOMETHING else

wonderful :rolleyes:and irrelevant to the topic

Well you obviously don't train and therefore don't know what the BJJ Guard is....since you obviously still thinks that the Guard only means lying there with legs around someone.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you obviously don't train and therefore don't know what the BJJ Guard is....since you obviously still thinks that the Guard only means lying there with legs around someone.
Well obviously;)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
...is to maintain control while setting up for something...whether a sweep or submission. Don't you think that someone in your guard is going to try to get out of it while also, striking at you? The squeezing is to limit their attacks and struggles.

A lot of this depends on the skill level of the BJJ. Some play it safe by getting the guard first, establish control, then sweep or submission. Others, starts going for the triangle before they even hit the ground.

Well Obviously you believe the guard isnt enough or obviously you wouldn't need to set up for "something." Obviously if you need to "Sweep or Submission" then obviously the guard alone isnt enough. Obviously its obvious that you obviously agree with what I said from the start that obviously the guard alone isnt enough obviously:finger:

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well Obviously you believe the guard isnt enough or obviously you wouldn't need to set up for "something." Obviously if you need to "Sweep or Submission" then obviously the guard alone isnt enough. Obviously its obvious that you obviously agree with what I said from the start that obviously the guard alone isnt enough obviously:finger:

Well obviously you still don't know what the BJJ Guard is.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well obviously you still don't know what the BJJ Guard is.
So your attacked you fall on your back and you end up in guard. What do you do now? He's trying to stab you........now what?

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So your attacked you fall on your back and you end up in guard. What do you do now? He's trying to stab you........now what?

Well if it were you, you'd get stabbed to death since you don't know how to work the BJJ Guard.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if it were you, you'd get stabbed to death since you don't know how to work the BJJ Guard.
Yeah we established that I'm asking you since your obviously an obvious BJJ expert so ............

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Ok.

But.

When you say that the guard itself is not enough mabye you should do a submission or something from there. I was taking that as a given. I mean who just trains the guard with out applying it in some way?

People who don't train in the guard, or know little about the position, believe that its a static position. They don't realize how active it is, and how a skilled guard player will utilize many different types of guards to get a desired outcome.

This is why you see so many laughable guard passes from other arts, or someone like Ballen saying you just sit there and take a nap until help arrives. :p

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People who don't train in the guard, or know little about the position, believe that its a static position. They don't realize how active it is, and how a skilled guard player will utilize many different types of guards to get a desired outcome.

This is why you see so many laughable guard passes from other arts, or someone like Ballen saying you just sit there and take a nap until help arrives. :p
I've never said it was static(I may have over simplified it for typing purposes I'm on my phone so it's not as easy to get full on technical on every topic) I said it's not complete. It needs you to so another technique to fully defend yourself. Since fried rice was chicken and won't answer the question I'll ask you. Your attacked guys trying to stab you. You fall and end up in guard he's still stabbing at you what so you do to stop him

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've never said it was static(I may have over simplified it for typing purposes I'm on my phone so it's not as easy to get full on technical on every topic) I said it's not complete. It needs you to so another technique to fully defend yourself. Since fried rice was chicken and won't answer the question I'll ask you. Your attacked guys trying to stab you. You fall and end up in guard he's still stabbing at you what so you do to stop him

You need to break his posture so that he never gets proper balance or posture. While doing that, you need to attempt to control and isolate the arm he's using to stab you. Once you accomplish that, you need to perform an arm lock or shoulder lock combined with a wrist lock in order to disarm him.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You need to break his posture so that he never gets proper balance or posture. While doing that, you need to attempt to control and isolate the arm he's using to stab you. Once you accomplish that, you need to perform an arm lock or shoulder lock combined with a wrist lock in order to disarm him.
So you need to do something in addition to the guard

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you need to do something in addition to the guard

The guard allows you to that in an efficient manner. The posture breaking comes from your closed guard, and allows you to set up a lock. Without that hip control, he has maximum range of motion, and the chances of you being able to stop the attack drops dramatically.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It may be a given but the original topic was only about the guard not all the extra "givens"

Ok. When we discuss the guard. It generally includes something other than just lying there.

Sorry if there was some misconception.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I think he might be trying to score points with silly semantics. Rather than be actually that literal about the topic.

It took me a while to figure out that was the actual point he was trying to make.

I mean are we allowed to breath when in the guard? Because that is the guard plus something. And that could make the guard really dangerous in self defence.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Wrist control

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Coming from more of a wrestler than a BJJ guy:

Is the guard (or the variations I do know) ever going to by a go to position for me? Never

In fact, ill probably only ever use it in SD if an assailant takes me down or we trip

That said, its a great recovery position. A great a way to take away his advantage and to let me get started on transitioning to a better position.

To me its like a stepping stone,

To a BJJ guy, its probably more of a central thing

Latest Discussions