The future

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I am planning to open up a Martial Arts School in Germany.

My experience is that everything that booms in the US will come to Europe some years later.

So what is the most popular Marial Art in the US now ?

MMA or Krav Maga ? Perhaps Fitness Kickboxing or more traditional arts like Taewondo or Karate ??

Thank you all for helping me !

Regards

German Coach

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What is your specialty? That should be your first focus...to teach what you love and know best.

Asking for the most popular martial arts in America is like asking what is the most popular foods to eat? ....each person will give you a different answer? ...many will prepare it differently too....

Karate alone has so many different styles....each one teaches it differently, in America.

Be creative, focus on what the people at Germany want to learn and train in.

One day your art (Coaching) may become so popular...people in America will want to learn it too. DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!

Self-defence/martial arts: Do it the Germany way...make it a Germany martial arts science...not an American one!

Don't be a McDonalds restauant of martial arts....anyone can do this?

Sales and marketing is learning what people want to buy. Sell what you know and market that training! Make it you own...if you believe..they will believe too!

Aloha, ( German beers are real beers ...why would like to drink a Budwiser?)

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi "still learning",

thanks for your answer.

Well, the last 5 years I spezialized in self defence (Krav maga) and I love it !

Yes, I think I wil teach that

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good answers and advice! Much better to do what you love and are good at. it will really show through in the teaching and attract people to learn.
MMA is already very well established in Germany with good teams of fighters doing well on the international scene.There's also large American Army team of fighters based in Germany who are fighting on Cagewarrriors show in Nottingham England in April, I can't wait to meet them!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi friends,

My experience is that everything that booms in the US will come to Europe some years later.

MMA or Krav Maga ? Perhaps Fitness Kickboxing or more traditional arts like Taewondo or Karate ??

Thank you all for helping me !

Regards

German Coach

What is the most popular? I suppose that would depend on a few things. A) Who you talk to, B) What ages you want to target, C) What the current trend is.

Since '93, I'd say MMA/UFC is pretty popular. Everyone out there has some sort of ground game added into their program. I think its a safe bet that you would have very good luck with that type of program.

Krav Maga, despite what some may say about it, is a good art. Simple to do, easy to remember and very effective. People can learn some effective things in a short amount of time. It covers pretty much every empty hand and weapon attack you can think of. There is also some ground work added in as well.

Again, chances are, you're going to get a wide variety of answers. If you're looking for something more along the RBSD lines, I'd go with a mix of what I said above. The MMA will provide you with some good striking and ground work and the KM will fill in the rest.

Mike

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since '93, I'd say MMA/UFC is pretty popular. Everyone out there has some sort of ground game added into their program.

Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer.

Does that mean there is a trend of a "light-contact" or "fitness" MMA in most non-competitive Martial Arts schools ?

Hans

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer.

Does that mean there is a trend of a "light-contact" or "fitness" MMA in most non-competitive Martial Arts schools ?

Hans

I really hope not! No martial art should be watered down.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Coach...Wondered where ya been? More and more cops aske me about MMA..If that any help...

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's also large American Army team of fighters based in Germany who are fighting on Cagewarrriors show in Nottingham England in April, I can't wait to meet them!

Hi Tez3,

wher in germany are they based ?

Hans

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There's no doubt in my mind that TKD is still in the lead. For the "next big thing" I'd certainly look at fitness kickboxing and related ideas; Krav Maga or similar reality-based systems; or MMA, but that always appeals to a smaller group of people.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What is your specialty? That should be your first focus...to teach what you love and know best.

Asking for the most popular martial arts in America is like asking what is the most popular foods to eat? ....each person will give you a different answer? ...many will prepare it differently too....

Karate alone has so many different styles....each one teaches it differently, in America.

Be creative, focus on what the people at Germany want to learn and train in.

One day your art (Coaching) may become so popular...people in America will want to learn it too. DARE TO BE DIFFERENT!

Self-defence/martial arts: Do it the Germany way...make it a Germany martial arts science...not an American one!

Don't be a McDonalds restauant of martial arts....anyone can do this?

Sales and marketing is learning what people want to buy. Sell what you know and market that training! Make it you own...if you believe..they will believe too!

Aloha, ( German beers are real beers ...why would like to drink a Budwiser?)

While I agree strongly with your teaching what you know best, and with not opening a McDojo.... I do feel there is real market potential in teaching a variety of arts IF you can get the experts to come in part time and teach them.

If you only offer Tai Chi, you cannot expect much business from the 17 to 25 fighter types; If you only offer MMA, don't expect many age 50+ customers. But if you taught MMA/ Krav and had a qualified friend who could do another art one or two nights a week you might appeal to a wider range of customers - offering quality instruction to all.

Wish you success. I enjoyed living in your country for over 3 years.

OP
German Coach

German Coach

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While I agree strongly with your teaching what you know best, and with not opening a McDojo.... I do feel there is real market potential in teaching a variety of arts IF you can get the experts to come in part time and teach them.

If you only offer Tai Chi, you cannot expect much business from the 17 to 25 fighter types; If you only offer MMA, don't expect many age 50+ customers. But if you taught MMA/ Krav and had a qualified friend who could do another art one or two nights a week you might appeal to a wider range of customers - offering quality instruction to all.

Wish you success. I enjoyed living in your country for over 3 years.

Thanks grydth,

where did you live in Germany ?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My advise teach what you love, this way it can be ebjoyable to you as well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

thanks for your answer.

Hans

I''d say its going to vary on the school. Like I said, once the UFC started, everyone seemed to add in some sort of grappling to their material. Personally, I think it was an eye opener, and considering their stamina is above what the average person is, I'd say its a safe bet to say that many schools/instructors, have added in some elements. The school I go to teaches Kenpo. Certainly not an MMA gym, yet we have grappling and the sparring a bit more contact.

Mike

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks grydth,

where did you live in Germany ?

I should add that a local Aikido dojo was pretty successful for some years in offering Iaido (with a tarined sensei) one or two nights a week.

I lived in the fine cities of Wurzburg and Aschaffenburg during the Cold War while serving with the 3d Infantry Division.

Latest Discussions