Winning Concept........

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
If a person lands one hit and it is equal to the damage it took to win is that really a win or is disabling your opponent at all cost the way.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
If a person lands one hit and it is equal to the damage it took to win is that really a win or is disabling your opponent at all cost the way.

please define win... if its a self defense altercation if you survive, and better yet are unhurt its a win!~ as far as sport applications? well I could not tell you as I don't train for tournaments.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When hunting for an animal....killing it is the goal! for food or trophy. ( A winning concept ) here! ...not for the animal.

In using martial arts techniques it is use to end the confrontations or attacks....sometimes disabling/killing is necessary. (NOT always the best solutions against any person).

The person(s) who attack you? ...May want to destroy you? ...who knows? You will want to do what may work for you to stop the person.

Sometime this requires extreme measures to end or stop the person from more aggression against you.

If one punch does disable and ends the fight? ....this is a winning concept. (depends on who,what ,where,when too...no two situtions will be the same) especially if fighting with friends...who may not wish to disable a friend?

Remember the Jujistu expert who was being mug....the knife attacker..tap out...then stab the jujistu expert after he let the attacker go? ..maybe he might have been better off disabling the attacker first?

What is a winning concept? ....how every it ends...if it ends the situtions with YOU able to walk away......then you win. The aggressor had a choice between walking away or hitting you? ...you will do what you need to do to end it quickly.....

Win - Win is when both of you can walk away peacefully...this is the BEST WINNING CONCEPT for anyone....and everyone. (Terrorist...remember this)

Disabling is a techniques that is taught by martial art schools. A useful tool. Best to use it on other people?

Aloha,

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then if it is for real world combat then you lost, there are no winners or losers in real world combat only survivors. Sorry but that is how I see it.

OP
jkd friend

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
Then if it is for real world combat then you lost, there are no winners or losers in real world combat only survivors. Sorry but that is how I see it.

I agree with that in multi opponents and I guess somewhat in 1on 1

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it gets to the point where it's physical, you've lost. Nobody wins a a fight. In sport it's up to the judges

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In martial arts? ...it is always best to end the fight quickly and if need be with the most effective techniques to achieve this end!

Sometimes disabling a person. For woman being attack? ...this is the better way to escape. (poking/gouging the eyes,groin attacks, stumping the ankles, breaking fingers, throat strikes,biting and many more...)

For those who believe if you survive is NOT consider winning? ..UM not sure about this? If your martial art skills defeat the other person, you are able to escape, disable, destroy, or just end the aggression? ....you came out winning?

You goal is to NOT the let the other person(s) win! All MMa like tournament there is a winner and loser.....both can be consider survivors.

Your mind has choices...to survive or to win? ....which one will give you a better results!

Aloha ( University of Hawaii had a winning team...NOT a surviving team)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SL let me ask you a question here OK you say surviving is winning, to me this means you have really never had to hurt someone. Excuse me for being so blunt I have and when I had to I broke the gentlemen back, did I survive yes of course did I win no I have been living witht hat for twenty years, so no I did not win but I survived and anybody that would call surviving winning needs to really get a grip on one emotion. Until you ahve to really hurt someone for the rest of there lifes are you ready to live with that. It is so easy to say Yes I'am until you do. I know I was just like that once. So for me it is about surviving not winning because nobody ever wins.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SL let me ask you a question here OK you say surviving is winning, to me this means you have really never had to hurt someone. Excuse me for being so blunt I have and when I had to I broke the gentlemen back, did I survive yes of course did I win no I have been living witht hat for twenty years, so no I did not win but I survived and anybody that would call surviving winning needs to really get a grip on one emotion. Until you ahve to really hurt someone for the rest of there lifes are you ready to live with that. It is so easy to say Yes I'am until you do. I know I was just like that once. So for me it is about surviving not winning because nobody ever wins.

A very valid point. In a survival situation (rather than a training or competition situation) there are no "points", no winners and losers - only those survive the encounter and its aftermath. Those who survive must live with the consequences of their actions - and only those who have been in such a situation truly know what that takes. Terry, I thank you for making this point, and salute you for the understanding you demonstrate in the above recounting. :asian:

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A very valid point. In a survival situation (rather than a training or competition situation) there are no "points", no winners and losers - only those survive the encounter and its aftermath. Those who survive must live with the consequences of their actions - and only those who have been in such a situation truly know what that takes. Terry, I thank you for making this point, and salute you for the understanding you demonstrate in the above recounting. :asian:

Thank you Kacey and all I'm trying to say is we never win in real life we just survive for the next day, competition has winners and losers as you so boldly said and that is so true. Thank you for the above coments.:asian:

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score

Exactly, surviving is not winning, I've come away from quite a few fights in my time, did I win, if you say in the concept of winning yes I did, I looked at it from a different point, I survived this fight and live to fight another day if necessary.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on SURVIVING.....and correcting me!

Any fight? ... if one can get thru it! ....did survive....no matter the outcome.

Winning or losing is a point of view.....

Aloha (fighting on the streets is NOT a game)

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you for sharing your thoughts on SURVIVING.....and correcting me!

Any fight? ... if one can get thru it! ....did survive....no matter the outcome.

Winning or losing is a point of view.....

Aloha (fighting on the streets is NOT a game)

You are right

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Winning and loosing are concepts for games. In the real world there is only life and how you deal with it.

Latest Discussions