What are the martial arts praticed on US Army?

I

Infight

Hey im curious, whats the martial arts praticed in US Army? Krav Maga? KickBoxing?Wrestling?BJJ?Karate?Kung Fu? or something else? Many arts claims to teach US Army, but what they really do learn? Or They learn a litlle of everything? Please gimme a light!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
D

Disco

The TV news show 60 minutes, about six months ago had a segment on that. What they showed was training in Gracie Jujitsu. Just MHO but I don't think I'd want to be trying to put submission holds on somebody in the middle of a fire fight on a battle field. If this was such a good idea, why has the USMC gone in a different direction?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Disco
The TV news show 60 minutes, about six months ago had a segment on that. What they showed was training in Gracie Jujitsu. Just MHO but I don't think I'd want to be trying to put submission holds on somebody in the middle of a fire fight on a battle field. If this was such a good idea, why has the USMC gone in a different direction?

Interesting question.

I think we need a response from the guy that originally posted that article. He was there.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some of my military buddies have told me about their training.

The army does do Brizilian Jujitsu, but as I understand that it has been modified for combat. It isn't designed for vale tudo, or for wrestling with your opponent for a half hour until you get the right submission hold. The Brizilian Jujitsu they do is more designed to either end it quickly, or to clinch the guy up until someone in your unit comes to finish the job. Not much time is spent on any empty hand training for your basic training guys.

Now those who go to ranger school, or special ops, have a different story to tell. They learn the Brizilian jujitsu as their basic, but they have other elements of combative martial arts as well. From my understanding the rangers do mostly Filipino martial arts, at least recently. It all depends on who they contract to teach at the base, or who the company comander approves to teach.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Some of my military buddies have told me about their training.

The army does do Brizilian Jujitsu, but as I understand that it has been modified for combat. It isn't designed for vale tudo, or for wrestling with your opponent for a half hour until you get the right submission hold. The Brizilian Jujitsu they do is more designed to either end it quickly, or to clinch the guy up until someone in your unit comes to finish the job. Not much time is spent on any empty hand training for your basic training guys.

Now those who go to ranger school, or special ops, have a different story to tell. They learn the Brizilian jujitsu as their basic, but they have other elements of combative martial arts as well. From my understanding the rangers do mostly Filipino martial arts, at least recently. It all depends on who they contract to teach at the base, or who the company comander approves to teach.

Ranger school sounds decent. I’m waiting to hear your guys opinions of the Marine program.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by akja
Ranger school sounds decent. I’m waiting to hear your guys opinions of the Marine program.

I'll start it then.

I think as an art for the Marines it is in a sense complete to the extent that it blends the Marine core value concepts with the martial arts. Its is well rounded for them.

It for me re-inforces the preaching that I preach about a finding the right blend in the arts. Some would call it a hodge podge of techniques. But that would depend on who needs to use them.

It clearly states that it borrows techniques from established martial art systems but it is clearly more than just that. It is a system of training a warrior. The hand to hand, I haven’t seen but in writing it looks like a program that would take an ordinary Joe and make a warrior out of him in a speedily fashion. I use the word speedily because if it were not, I don’t believe the services would use it.

OP
C

chufeng

Quite frankly,

When someone asks a question like that, just before a possible US military action, I am reluctant to reply...

For those who have replied, if you haven't been in the Army...you simply don't know.

:asian:
chufeng

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng

For those who have replied, if you haven't been in the Army...you simply don't know.

With all do respect, lets not start in on that. If you know and train with (and in my case, train) people in the military, then you have enough second hand info to make a judgement, or give an opinion. It's one thing to be a wanna-be soldier when your not, but it's another to give an opinion based on experiences from friends and/or students who are "there" and who do "know." I am speaking from the later, indirect experience.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see anything wrong, or disrespectful about that.

OP
C

chufeng

Paul,

If you know and train with (and in my case, train) people in the military, then you have enough second hand info to make a judgement

If you are training with someone who is in the Army, why do you think they are training with you? Because your training group offers them something they aren't getting somewhere else...

Many people in the military have trained in a variety of arts...
As many individuals NOT in the military have trained in a variety of arts...

My point was simply that to answer a question about what specifically Army people train in, at this time, on this board, is irresponsible.

The people who you train with from the Army can't speak for the entire organization (neither can I)...and training is different depending on your unit's mission and WHERE you are stationed.

I am not out to step on your toes, or anyone else's for that matter. But these boards are PUBLIC...and I simply advise those who would answer questions about our military to use a bit of caution.

chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

IT DEPENDS!!!

It depends on what division, etc. Some get guest speakers so they do train in other arts.

For instance, I know of soldiers who practiced TKD/hapkido, others who did krav maga, boxers, wrestlers, etc. US Army Soldiers get training from all sorts of places. Not the best idea to become the best fighter, but the best idea to get a crash course so you learn a lot in a short period of time, and you can work on toning your skills later.

OP
S

Scooter

Originally posted by chufeng
Paul,

My point was simply that to answer a question about what specifically Army people train in, at this time, on this board, is irresponsible.

chufeng

Actually, I believe the question was general, and the combatives that are taught to ALL in the army while going through basic are not some secret considdering that you can view the actual manual online due to the fact it is released to the public.
And yes, it is based on BJJ (not a good idea in my opinion, but that is besides the point)

If you want to view the manual, here's the address www.adtdl.army.mil/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-25.150/toc.htm

Scott Reisinger

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guy who started the thread is in Brasil and I think he is genuinely interested the militarys martial arts.

I for one did not look at it in an improper way. All I saw was a martial topic which I had just finished reading about in the Karate section, so I passed it on.

But in these times and this board being international, its is a good idea to bow out.

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by akja
I'll start it then.

I think as an art for the Marines it is in a sense complete to the extent that it blends the Marine core value concepts with the martial arts. Its is well rounded for them.

Just out of curiosity have you actually seen the new program offered by the Marine Corps.?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Call Tom Ridge! Code Red! Buy some duck tape!:D

Seriously, like Scott had said, everything we've talked about here is already public information. I would hope that if anyone has any info that isn't public, they would be smart enough to not discuss that info on a public internet forum, whether we are in a time of war or not. I don't think that terrorists are going to read this thread, and gain valuable secrets to use against us. If I thought that, I wouldn't be talking on here right now!

In terms of the Marine program, most of the Marines I know were trained under the old line system. I am not really familiar enough with the new marine training program to comment. RyuShiKan had commented on it on another thread, however; I think he has seen the program first hand, so he might be able to give some input.

:cool:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by PAUL
In terms of the Marine program, most of the Marines I know were trained under the old line system. I am not really familiar enough with the new marine training program to comment. RyuShiKan had commented on it on another thread, however; I think he has seen the program first hand, so he might be able to give some input.

:cool:

They have stopped “line training” since according to most every Marine I talked to have said it was pretty useless.
The new program they have out deals with more “realistic” scenarios and would seem fairly effective.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
They have stopped “line training” since according to most every Marine I talked to have said it was pretty useless.

Yup. That's the same feedback I've gotton regarding the line training. I've had a few guys come to me to supplement their training because they weren't satisfied with the line training by itself.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Even the Combatives taught from FM 21-150 are not "official," and the methods described therein are not commonly trained by soldiers...

You see, we have these things called guns... ;)

The Army does not train in BJJ, nor is the combatives system based on BJJ. There are elements of grappling techniques included, and they were taken primarily from BJJ, but they were added in to an already existing program that previously did not have grappling included in it.

Truthfully, though I have corresponded with the individual primarily responsible for creating the new program, I doubt it will ever see the popularity that he hopes it will enjoy.

The SF guys train in whatever they like. They have the budget to bring in anyone they want. The Rangers were doing some BJJ/GJJ stuff, and I'm not sure how much they are training in that anymore, but you see, we have these things called guns... ;)

And did I mention the heavy artillery?

Once again, there is no official martial art for the Army, no matter what a half million instructors across the US try to claim ("I was the head instructor for Fort XXX from XX to XX" - total crap claims by every one of them!)

Gambarimasu.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Even the Combatives taught from FM 21-150 are not "official," and the methods described therein are not commonly trained by soldiers...

The Army does not train in BJJ, nor is the combatives system based on BJJ. There are elements of grappling techniques included, and they were taken primarily from BJJ, but they were added in to an already existing program that previously did not have grappling included in it.

Truthfully, though I have corresponded with the individual primarily responsible for creating the new program, I doubt it will ever see the popularity that he hopes it will enjoy.

The SF guys train in whatever they like. They have the budget to bring in anyone they want. The Rangers were doing some BJJ/GJJ stuff, and I'm not sure how much they are training in that anymore, but you see, we have these things called guns... ;)

And did I mention the heavy artillery?

Once again, there is no official martial art for the Army, no matter what a half million instructors across the US try to claim ("I was the head instructor for Fort XXX from XX to XX" - total crap claims by every one of them!)

Gambarimasu.

Thanks for stating something that I believed to be true but could not come up with data on either side.

Could you ask your references if they would mind some contact from the outside occasionally. Not for a sales pitch from me just to ask what is going on?

Latest Discussions