The eyes

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
Always heard always look your enemy in the eyes when fighting, I have found this very hard to do!! Always looked at a persons hip right side, of course when anything is thrown at me take my eyes off of the hip and block what is thrown at me. It has always served me well!!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Always heard always look your enemy in the eyes when fighting, I have found this very hard to do!! Always looked at a persons hip right side, of course when anything is thrown at me take my eyes off of the hip and block what is thrown at me. It has always served me well!!
Watch their center.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
waaaaay back in my jujitsu days I learned form my Jujitsu sensei, we looked at the mid chest and that way we could see the arms and legs, we also did a lot of peripheral vision training as well. Looking at the eyes could be distracting, IMO, and not looking at the eyes has worked for e pretty well so far

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
waaaaay back in my jujitsu days I learned form my Jujitsu sensei, we looked at the mid chest and that way we could see the arms and legs, we also did a lot of peripheral vision training as well. Looking at the eyes could be distracting, IMO, and not looking at the eyes has worked for e pretty well so far
Exactly. Focusing on the head is a setup to be head faked. The extremities can move without the center. That is the core concept of the feint.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stand far enough back that they have to step to get in to range. Then you can predictably determine a pre cursor to attack.

So for example if you have a fast guy who has the 12 o'clock and is in range. You can't guarantee you will even see the strike let alone be able to move fast enough to react to it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are good at foot sweep (or knee stomp), you will always watch your opponent's leading leg knee. When your opponent shifts weight onto his leading leg and try to punch you, you sweep his leading leg (or stomp on his knee). Your opponent cannot attack you without shifting weight onto his leading leg.

This is very nature to do.

- You look down to avoid eyes contact as if you are nervious.
- Shake your body like a fish if you can.
- Pee in your pants if you have to.
- The moment that your opponent shifts weight onto his leading leg, you take him down and then eat him alive.

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stand far enough back that they have to step to get in to range.
Good advice. If you're in a one-step range, you'd better be doing something. Controlling/changing the range can get the opponent off their game.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a friend who has, according to all the women we know, gorgeous blue eyes. But when he gives someone stink eye, it chills them, his eyes become very unsettling. We refer to them as his "wolf eyes."

Over the years he has backed down people, time and time again, who were looking for trouble with just that wolf eye look. You can see it in their reaction, they go into that "uh oh" mode. (good thing, too, he's one of the toughest people I've ever known)

Sure wish I had them eyes. Yup.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Stand far enough back that they have to step to get in to range. Then you can predictably determine a pre cursor to attack.
Agree! Leg is longer than the arm. Your first line defense should be your leg.

old_man_front_kick.jpg

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
- Pee in your pants if you have to.
In my 50+ years of MA, this is one tactic I have never taught or practiced. I suppose it could work if you had the time to unzip and squirt the opponent in the eyes. Can't try that out now at my age - I'm lucky if I don't dribble on my shoes.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Japanese swordmanship, it is suggest one should use ‘enzan no metsuke’, (as if looking at distant mountains) when looking at a potential enemy, thus encompassing the whole. This is because the peripheral retina is very good at detecting movement and once that movement has been registered, it’s connections to the superior colliculus (in the tectum of the midbrain) will reflexly swing the eyes around to foveate the are that is moving for full-resolution vision!

Have you ever been lying on you sofa, in the cooling autumn and almost subconsciously, noticed scuttling in the periphery of ones vision, then directly seen it to be a spider, leap up at lightning speed and scream like a little girl? That is ones superior colliculus in action and it’s very quick!

I’ve…ahem…never done that 😑👶🏽

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Japanese swordmanship, it is suggest one should use ‘enzan no metsuke’, (as if looking at distant mountains) when looking at a potential enemy, thus encompassing the whole. This is because the peripheral retina is very good at detecting movement and once that movement has been registered, it’s connections to the superior colliculus (in the tectum of the midbrain) will reflexly swing the eyes around to foveate the are that is moving for full-resolution vision!

Have you ever been lying on you sofa, in the cooling autumn and almost subconsciously, noticed scuttling in the periphery of ones vision, then directly seen it to be a spider, leap up at lightning speed and scream like a little girl? That is ones superior colliculus in action and it’s very quick!

I’ve…ahem…never done that 😑👶🏽
Marines call it the "thousand yard stare." Defocused techniques can work, but it also requires development, it's not instinctive to respond to the stimulus you get in the periphery.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marines call it the "thousand yard stare." Defocused techniques can work, but it also requires development, it's not instinctive to respond to the stimulus you get in the periphery.
The autumn spider has never made you scream like a little girl, Bill? 😳

Latest Discussions