Avantages/disadvantages rolling your hip with the side kick?

F

foggymorning162

I think that it might help you to think of it more as flipping the hip than rolling because it is more of a snapped out movement as the rear foot pivots away from where your kicking your hip flips forward adding reach and power to the side kick. I find for me the step under side is my most powerful kick and it seems to make the hip roll seem more natural. Hope this helps, but just keep practicing and you'll get it.
We teach students the side kick as a three part move (load-kick-reload) for speed in sparring we leave out the first load not the hip roll IMO the load slows you down more than that flip does.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have more clarification now. One of my instructors referred to this move a modified sidekick. We are to slide with it. So, it can be useful in sparring. You won't telegraph as quickly to your opponent since you are sliding in and kicking simultaneously.

Now I get it. Phew!

DMcHenry

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like what I call/do a "hop kick". I love those. Hop roundhouse, hop side, hop hook, etc.

A great one to do is kicking with the rear leg, do a hop front kick. Most people can't get away fast enough to escape being tagged with it. You can pretty much chase them across the room with it.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like what I call/do a "hop kick". I love those. Hop roundhouse, hop side, hop hook, etc.

A great one to do is kicking with the rear leg, do a hop front kick. Most people can't get away fast enough to escape being tagged with it. You can pretty much chase them across the room with it.
We did kicking drills once with hops. We hopped with the back leg and did roundhouse and front kicks. We only did that for one class. I remember the rocking motion with the roundhouse throwing me off at first. That's only because I'm one of those students who try to complicate things :D

I wish we would do those drills more often. I forget to try them out in sparring. I would have to really "think."

I will say I got a point in sparring the other night against a black belt when I used the sliding sidekick. She wasn't expecting it at all.

Latest Discussions