The Emphasis of Stealth

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Elizium said:
Really? The kans are the ultimate in stealth. We are in the background learning how to overcome every eventuality, how to win the fight in the least ammount of strength. We are in the background watching all the fighters, learning techniques and adapting ourselves to what lies ahead. Shaolin, MMA and katate ETC use the history and tradition of what once was. They emphasise the kick here does this, the reverse punch does that. The kans say this will work, as will this and this and this. Nagare is the key when in fighting. The Ryu is the philosophy.

Every day we are using stealth. We watch the fights and learn what went wrong, so we can adapt. The kans are a living form. We look at Takagi Yoshin Ryu and look at the Gracies and adapt each other to win the fight. Our adaption is that of continous stealth, it is that some people do not see it.
Only problem is, too many "kan" practicioners couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag for the simple fact of the way they train. Too much time is spent theorizing about what "would" work, without making any effort to test it(or at least the principle) at full speed with an active uke. There are many that cannot even make the classical kihon work, so they fall back on henka, and think they have good taijutsu, and hence, think they can fight. There are many that have never had more than a heated verbal exchange in their entire lives.

Good technique does not equate to fighting skill. Never has...never will. You can either fight, or you can't. Sure, you can get better, but that's something you have to do on your own. Everyone has no doubt heard that fighting is more mental than physical, and not everyone realizes the deepness of that. I'm not going to explain it, because i had to figure it out for myself, and its something that everybody has to figure out for themselves.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinkengata said:
Only problem is, too many "kan" practicioners couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag for the simple fact of the way they train. Too much time is spent theorizing about what "would" work, without making any effort to test it(or at least the principle) at full speed with an active uke.
In my opinion, every good uke is an active one. Now how you choose to define active, that's a whole other thing...anyhow, testing something in the dojo only shows if something works or doesn't work against a person with a martial arts background similar to your own. It doesn't say anything about the effectiveness of the methods practiced against untrained resistance, or for that matter, people who don't know you and what you're capable of.

OP
E

Elizium

Technopunk said:
I never herad it explained quite like that, or thought about it in that way...
Then start to think of it in that way. As the last post said, not many can do taijutsu right let alone sanshin or kihon. Everyone could see the kan system as an up front school of fighting. Hiding the punches, pretending that all is hidden. But the stealth is far more greater than that. Who needs to be facing your opponent. Stealth requires you to step out of the shadows and do what you have to do. We do not do boxing as in face to face, but attack from where we are not seen. The shadow and the blindspots are our natural covers.

If I was to fight, it will be on my terms, my grounds, my rules: not yours. This is where the stealth comes in. I will not face you, but come from your blindside and see how much damage I can do. To come up and then do what I have to do, then leave intact and going home.

Someone said to me "People can beat me up, that is fine. But one day, could be next week or a few years away, I will come out from the shadows and take you down. Then it is my turn, and your friends will not be there to help you." Stealth is gathering information, watching, learning, taking notes. You only fight if you need to.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nimravus said:
In my opinion, every good uke is an active one. Now how you choose to define active, that's a whole other thing...anyhow, testing something in the dojo only shows if something works or doesn't work against a person with a martial arts background similar to your own. It doesn't say anything about the effectiveness of the methods practiced against untrained resistance, or for that matter, people who don't know you and what you're capable of.
Very true, Nim, which is why i included the part "You can either fight, or you can't."

My definition of an active uke is someone who will get you if they see an opening in your technique, and who won't take a fall for you just because something you're doing isn't working, or working that well. An active uke applies mental pressure during the excercises, also. A fight is a battle of intent as much as it is a battle of the body. If you're an uke, and you punch, convey to your partner through your intent that you are going to hit him if he doesn't move out of the way of your fist. Amp it up a bit once you learn to project intent really well. Make him think you're gonna try and knock his head off his shoulders if he doesn't move out of the way. I always find that its in the eyes. I look my training partner right in the eyes when i am an uke, and i move with mental intensity.

anyway...i've gone far enough away from the topic at hand...
I'll save the rest of my thoughts on this for when a thread comes along that they're more relevant to.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
Im still reading through that site after discovering it a few months ago. There's a wealth of good info on it.

Latest Discussions