The Emphasis of Stealth

P

Pezzle

This may seem like a rather dumb question, but the stealth aspects (though I forget which school this pertains to mostly) of Ninjutsu have always intruiged me.

What is the emphasis placed on stealth in the Bujinkan? Don't hear much about that!

-Pezzle

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We practice stealth in our techniques. Hiding what we are doing... making the opponent think we are attacking one body part while really attacking another, that sort of thing... not a lot of sneakin around.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
It works really well when eyewitnesses say "The guy just attacked him, and he stumbled back and put his hands up to shield himself and the attacker just fell down in pain for some reason. HE must have hurt himself or something."

hehe...

OP
P

Pezzle

Excellent. I figured as much but was wondering what you guys would have to say as to input.

Thankya'

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In addition to the ninpo-taijutsu (hidden techniques and the like), there still is some 'sneakin around' stuff taught in many dojo. It's not emphasized much, nor practiced regularly in my experience, but it is still part of ninjutsu and still is applicable to modern self defense.

When I run away from a confrontation I can't handle, if I hear my assailant(s) yell, "you can run, but you can't hide!" - I'd like to be able to prove them wrong.

As in most cases, AYS.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shinkengata said:
It works really well when eyewitnesses say "The guy just attacked him, and he stumbled back and put his hands up to shield himself and the attacker just fell down in pain for some reason. HE must have hurt himself or something."

hehe...
Oh don't forget the victim was yelling "Stop, please stop, your hurting me."

Stealth has many definitions, just like "Disappear". It is easy to "Disappear" but it doesn't mean "Poof". If you train, you will know what I mean.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Four students from my training group have left for the summer to teach classes at a wilderness tracking school, and wilderness stealth and survival will be key to their next several months. It's nice that they'll be together and able to continue training regularly in their taijutsu. To be honest, I'm trying not to envy them.

And, hopefully they'll show up for our sessions with the Shihan who offers us guidance.

Personally, the only stealth I'm any good at is "acting natural" and not drawing attention. City kid, and all that.

OP
E

Elizium

Inton Jutsu (escape and concealment) and Henso Jutsu (disguise and impersonation) are stealth. Even Kayaku jutsu (fire and explosives) can be used for stealth. It is all a matter of application.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Elizium said:
Inton Jutsu (escape and concealment) and Henso Jutsu (disguise and impersonation) are stealth. Even Kayaku jutsu (fire and explosives) can be used for stealth. It is all a matter of application.
If you wanna get technical, kayakujutsu is part of goton no jutsu which is part of intonjutsu, which you already covered :p There's also a thread on the tenchijin santon no ho somewhere in the archives called "exfiltration" or somthing along those lines I believe.

Anyway, yes those are stealth, but how much is actually covered in your average dojo training? It would be kind of cool if after class we had to go home and try and make some mizu gumo. Then next class we could go down to the local river and practice paddling ourselves around with bamboo oars and then fighting in the water using the weighted chain and such. But you gotta think of how applicable these fun and games are, and who has actually had enough training to be able to teach it properly and accurately as well. Chances are, most instructors just learned about this stuff from books (I know I have) and wouldn't be fully qualified to teach it.

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only times in my day-to-day life where i find stealth useful is either a) When getting ready for work in the morning and wife is still asleep. or b) When im somewhere in public and i spot someone i know and really don't want to talk to them. Stealth is especially useful in Wal-Mart to avoid being seen by those you don't really feel like getting caught up in conversation with.

OP
E

Elizium

mizu_teppo said:
If you wanna get technical, kayakujutsu is part of goton no jutsu which is part of intonjutsu, which you already covered :p There's also a thread on the tenchijin santon no ho somewhere in the archives called "exfiltration" or somthing along those lines I believe.
Yes they are, but I posted on what can be used as stealth and how the application could be used in thought. I was not on about X matching up with Y as Y is another matter connected to Z.

People will see Kayaku Jutsu as fire making and explosives regarding firearms ETC. But it can be used as a distraction to cause stealth or metsubushi.

hwarang

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ninjas= bad mofos... im a mixed martial artist and i wouldnt play rouhg with a ninja lol but honestly i think a shaolin monk has to be at the top of the mountain.,.. those people are just bad mofos

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh... yeah.

I just saw that movie... Ninja fought the Shaolin... The Shaolin won.

OP
E

Elizium

hwarang said:
ninjas= bad mofos... im a mixed martial artist and i wouldnt play rouhg with a ninja lol but honestly i think a shaolin monk has to be at the top of the mountain.,.. those people are just bad mofos
Really? The kans are the ultimate in stealth. We are in the background learning how to overcome every eventuality, how to win the fight in the least ammount of strength. We are in the background watching all the fighters, learning techniques and adapting ourselves to what lies ahead. Shaolin, MMA and katate ETC use the history and tradition of what once was. They emphasise the kick here does this, the reverse punch does that. The kans say this will work, as will this and this and this. Nagare is the key when in fighting. The Ryu is the philosophy.

Every day we are using stealth. We watch the fights and learn what went wrong, so we can adapt. The kans are a living form. We look at Takagi Yoshin Ryu and look at the Gracies and adapt each other to win the fight. Our adaption is that of continous stealth, it is that some people do not see it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I never herad it explained quite like that, or thought about it in that way...