The Difference Between Development and Application

AlexGoode

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm here to help interested individuals understand traditional martial arts in more depth and to hopefully explain more clearly the point behind traditional methods (i.e. forms, herbs, meditation, etc).

I don't have much time right now to write too in depth, but to start off there are generally 2 reasons you would practice a traditional form.

1 is you are seeking to develop your mind in body in a unique or particular way.

2 is you are practicing mechanics that can directly apply to an actual situation.

If someone is practicing a form focused more on mind/body development it may or may not look "effective" or "applicable" to an outside viewer. In certain cases that is true. Also in certain cases the strength the movement builds through an exaggerated range of motion can be very applicable when shortened and made more "economic".

All in all the movement could be foundational to application or it could not be focused on combat at all, but rather just focused on being better, healthier, more balanced, etc in mind and body.

-Alex Goode

Facebook: Oom Yung Doe New England
Snapchat: oydmedford
Instagram: oomyungdoemedford

Latest Discussions