The Crust of the Biscuit - State Versus Private Industry

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am stealing this quote from Tez3 (sorry Tez3, but you framed it perfectly) to start a new thread. This one dealing with a very basic issue between left and right, between those in favor of government services versus private industry. I will attempt to actually present both sides of the argument. Feel free to correct me.

It's all fine saying the state can't do this and that but what happens when no one else cares about these girlls and the 'state' is left to pick up the pieces with housing, benefits etc, if the state has to pay well it's the tax payer isn't it, the taxpayer/state should have a damn say in it.

This is essential. When the state provides services, all citizens receive those services; but all citizens who pay taxes must participate in paying for them. It is not optional. That is fundamentally different than private industry, in which one purchases the services one wants, but if one cannot afford or chooses not to pay for services, one doesn't get any.

Both have positives and negatives. Under private industry, competition can (but does not always) keep costs lower. The downside is that private industry is profit-driven and will seek to not pay for as much as they can. Under state care, all are covered and there is no cost to the consumer at the point of delivery. But costs are hidden in the taxes that all pay, and government-provided services are widely understood to be inefficient, sloppy, careless, and fraught with fraud and abuse.

However, setting all that aside, I'd like to return to Tez3's point. The basic statement, "...the taxpayer/state should have a damn say in it..." is absolutely true. When purchasing an optional service from a private provider, the consumer does not have the right to attempt to control costs by 'having a say' in the matter. Their choice is to purchase or not purchase the service. They have no power and no leverage, other than by withholding their dollars. In a state-run system, one has no choice but to participate, and yes, it is quite reasonable for the taxpayer to have a say in how those tax dollars are spent. In fact, in a representative form of government, taxpayers must absolutely have a say in how tax dollars are spent, otherwise the government could hardly be said to be democratic.

But this leads us to a fundamental disagreement in philosophy, exemplified in Tez3's statement above.

If we choose to live in a society which provides essential services such as health care exclusively, and if citizens have no choice about whether or not to pay for it via taxes, then yes, Tez3 is right; taxpayers must be allowed to set standards. In the previous discussion, we were talking about state-provided contraceptives for children without their parent's knowledge or consent. Leaving aside all other discussions about the various facets of that issue, let's look at JUST the financial aspect.

It cannot be argued that parents all provide sufficient levels of education and guidance to children to prevent unwanted pregnancies; and it cannot be argued that society often ends up paying many of the costs involved in unwanted teen pregnancies. This is true. Parents abdicate, and society suffers.

From a purely financial standpoint, in a national or state-provided health care setting, this would end the discussion. That is, assuming no other factors applied than financial applied.

However, in a setting where private industry provides health care that people can purchase or not purchase, the taxpayer has less to say about it. Certainly 'society' still ends up picking up the tab for parents and children who make poor choices, but it is less directly-traceable to the right of the taxpayer to control the actions of the individual making poor choices.

The end result in either state-run or private-industry is that poor choices end up causing society to suffer. The only difference is whether or not the taxpayer has the right to step in and demand that poor choices be controlled through the power of the state.

I stand opposite Tez3 in philosophy. I am horrified by the very notion that the state would require a permission slip from parents for a child to go on a field trip, but not to implant that same child with birth control chemicals on demand. However, I do not live in a society of state-provided health care - yet. I can at least claim that the taxpayer has less of a say in what the state may do.

Expanding the logic, however, I find more to object to. This is something I have pointed out before as a necessary downside to state-run mandatory health care. As Tez3 says, when all taxpayers must pay, they must also have a say.

That would include drunk driving. In the USA, fully 50% of all traffic fatalities are alcohol-related. That means, if we have state-run care in the USA and the taxpayer has a say, booze MUST be outlawed. We pay FAR more in costs than we do for unwanted pregnancies.

That would include eating the wrong things, and being overweight. If we have state-run health care, you WILL lose weight and you WILL exercise, under penalty of law. There is a direct link between obesity and heart disease. You have no choice in the matter; if you will not make the right choice, society will make it for you. Taxpayers have a right to control costs if they have no choice about paying into the system.

You may not smoke.

You may not engage in risky sex. By the by, like it or not, that does mean unprotected sex is out, and it definitely means unprotected sex between males is out. Personal choices aside; and without rancor or any equal rights issues considered, if we are talking about financial costs, then this is something the taxpayer definitely has a right to have a say about.

You may not engage in extreme sports. The rising costs of treating weekend warriors banged up from various bizarre athletic attempts are astronomical.

I could go on. But the point is this; I am not using a 'slippery slope' argument; this is straight-line logic. If the taxpayer has a say (and I agree that in a state-provided health system they do) in controlling behavior to control costs, then they have a say - PERIOD. Contraceptives for children? Certainly. Also, close all the bars and liquor stores. Remember, the taxpayer has the right to control costs when they have no choice but to pay for services.

And please, no wingeing when we wake up and find we've traded our freedom away for a lower tax bill. This is a simple logical line.

The other way? It's got huge problems as well. As clearly pointed out, when parents abdicate, society pays. When people get drunk and drive around, society pays. When people are fat and out of shape, society pays.

The only real question is which society would you rather live in? One in which personal choice and parental authority is preserved, though abused; or one in which costs are controlled, but one hasn't the right to do much of anything if it involves placing risk of cost on society? Money or freedom? Hmmm. I really do like both...

I choose the former. I understand why people choose the latter, but it's just not something I'm interested in.

And yes, I do understand that it's not quite that black-and-white in reality. Both sides have blends of the other in them. But to break it down to the basic components, I simplified for the sake of argument.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am stealing this quote from Tez3 (sorry Tez3, but you framed it perfectly) to start a new thread. This one dealing with a very basic issue between left and right, between those in favor of government services versus private industry. I will attempt to actually present both sides of the argument. Feel free to correct me.

yeah I'm good at framing things lol!

This is essential. When the state provides services, all citizens receive those services; but all citizens who pay taxes must participate in paying for them. It is not optional. That is fundamentally different than private industry, in which one purchases the services one wants, but if one cannot afford or chooses not to pay for services, one doesn't get any.

Both have positives and negatives. Under private industry, competition can (but does not always) keep costs lower. The downside is that private industry is profit-driven and will seek to not pay for as much as they can. Under state care, all are covered and there is no cost to the consumer at the point of delivery. But costs are hidden in the taxes that all pay, and government-provided services are widely understood to be inefficient, sloppy, careless, and fraught with fraud and abuse.

Not really true here , we have a private healthcare industry here, the NHS picks up there mistakes and has to rectify them more often than we'd like. Wehave here a problem with breast implants done by a private company being sub standard and causing damaging health problems for the women who have them, thats was a private company, same with a 'top' maternity clinic

However, setting all that aside, I'd like to return to Tez3's point. The basic statement, "...the taxpayer/state should have a damn say in it..." is absolutely true. When purchasing an optional service from a private provider, the consumer does not have the right to attempt to control costs by 'having a say' in the matter. Their choice is to purchase or not purchase the service. They have no power and no leverage, other than by withholding their dollars. In a state-run system, one has no choice but to participate, and yes, it is quite reasonable for the taxpayer to have a say in how those tax dollars are spent. In fact, in a representative form of government, taxpayers must absolutely have a say in how tax dollars are spent, otherwise the government could hardly be said to be democratic.

Here they can opt put easily as with education they can go private, they will still pay their National Insurance because that's for more than healthcare, it's for their old age pension, disability pensions and such like as well. Paying National Insurance is not income tax as such, whether you chose to pay for your healthcare if you have an accident the ambulance that comes for you and the paramedics who treat you will be NHS.

But this leads us to a fundamental disagreement in philosophy, exemplified in Tez3's statement above.

If we choose to live in a society which provides essential services such as health care exclusively, and if citizens have no choice about whether or not to pay for it via taxes, then yes, Tez3 is right; taxpayers must be allowed to set standards. In the previous discussion, we were talking about state-provided contraceptives for children without their parent's knowledge or consent. Leaving aside all other discussions about the various facets of that issue, let's look at JUST the financial aspect.

It cannot be argued that parents all provide sufficient levels of education and guidance to children to prevent unwanted pregnancies; and it cannot be argued that society often ends up paying many of the costs involved in unwanted teen pregnancies. This is true. Parents abdicate, and society suffers.

From a purely financial standpoint, in a national or state-provided health care setting, this would end the discussion. That is, assuming no other factors applied than financial applied.

However, in a setting where private industry provides health care that people can purchase or not purchase, the taxpayer has less to say about it. Certainly 'society' still ends up picking up the tab for parents and children who make poor choices, but it is less directly-traceable to the right of the taxpayer to control the actions of the individual making poor choices.

The end result in either state-run or private-industry is that poor choices end up causing society to suffer. The only difference is whether or not the taxpayer has the right to step in and demand that poor choices be controlled through the power of the state.

I stand opposite Tez3 in philosophy. I am horrified by the very notion that the state would require a permission slip from parents for a child to go on a field trip, but not to implant that same child with birth control chemicals on demand. However, I do not live in a society of state-provided health care - yet. I can at least claim that the taxpayer has less of a say in what the state may do.

Permission slips were sent out to the girls concerned families.

Expanding the logic, however, I find more to object to. This is something I have pointed out before as a necessary downside to state-run mandatory health care. As Tez3 says, when all taxpayers must pay, they must also have a say.

Tax payers do have a say in healthcare as do the healthcare professonals who do the work.
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/getinvolved.aspx

That would include drunk driving. In the USA, fully 50% of all traffic fatalities are alcohol-related. That means, if we have state-run care in the USA and the taxpayer has a say, booze MUST be outlawed. We pay FAR more in costs than we do for unwanted pregnancies.

That would include eating the wrong things, and being overweight. If we have state-run health care, you WILL lose weight and you WILL exercise, under penalty of law. There is a direct link between obesity and heart disease. You have no choice in the matter; if you will not make the right choice, society will make it for you. Taxpayers have a right to control costs if they have no choice about paying into the system.

You may not smoke.

You may not engage in risky sex. By the by, like it or not, that does mean unprotected sex is out, and it definitely means unprotected sex between males is out. Personal choices aside; and without rancor or any equal rights issues considered, if we are talking about financial costs, then this is something the taxpayer definitely has a right to have a say about.

You may not engage in extreme sports. The rising costs of treating weekend warriors banged up from various bizarre athletic attempts are astronomical.

I could go on. But the point is this; I am not using a 'slippery slope' argument; this is straight-line logic. If the taxpayer has a say (and I agree that in a state-provided health system they do) in controlling behavior to control costs, then they have a say - PERIOD. Contraceptives for children? Certainly. Also, close all the bars and liquor stores. Remember, the taxpayer has the right to control costs when they have no choice but to pay for services.

And please, no wingeing when we wake up and find we've traded our freedom away for a lower tax bill. This is a simple logical line.

The other way? It's got huge problems as well. As clearly pointed out, when parents abdicate, society pays. When people get drunk and drive around, society pays. When people are fat and out of shape, society pays.

The only real question is which society would you rather live in? One in which personal choice and parental authority is preserved, though abused; or one in which costs are controlled, but one hasn't the right to do much of anything if it involves placing risk of cost on society? Money or freedom? Hmmm. I really do like both...

Here we haven't had those restrictions, however I believe in America women can and have been arrested for drinking and smoking while pregant, we haven't had that here nor will we. I think you are far more draconian than we are.
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/tgr/03/6/gr030603.html

I choose the former. I understand why people choose the latter, but it's just not something I'm interested in.

And yes, I do understand that it's not quite that black-and-white in reality. Both sides have blends of the other in them. But to break it down to the basic components, I simplified for the sake of argument.

We have the wherewithal to have our say if we wish, all police forces here have a commitee members of the public can go on to determine expenditure, core values, the way forward etc. As with the NHS if you want your say it's there for you to do it. We have parish councils, town councils, county councils all where you can have your say on anthing your tax money is spent on. You can go to your MP, they hold surgeries most weeks where you can make your point in person apart from the usual email, writing, phone discussions. It's up to you here, there's no excuse for not having your say on how your tax money is spent. You don't like the money being spent on contraceptives, then tell someone in charge, it's all there for you to do it.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have the wherewithal to have our say if we wish, all police forces here have a commitee members of the public can go on to determine expenditure, core values, the way forward etc. As with the NHS if you want your say it's there for you to do it. We have parish councils, town councils, county councils all where you can have your say on anthing your tax money is spent on. You can go to your MP, they hold surgeries most weeks where you can make your point in person apart from the usual email, writing, phone discussions. It's up to you here, there's no excuse for not having your say on how your tax money is spent. You don't like the money being spent on contraceptives, then tell someone in charge, it's all there for you to do it.

Your points are all accepted; I won't dispute them. They do not change the basic premise, which is an argument you made yourself. If the taxpayer pays, the taxpayer has the right to a say. With regard to children receiving contraceptives, you framed it as a cost issue, and I can't disagree with you. The same argument, the very same logic, insists that if cost is the factor that permits the state to intrude on what would otherwise be personal choice (or poor choices or lack of making choices), then alcohol must be banned as well. The core logic is precisely the same.

And technically, you didn't even disagree with me. You pointed out that the government currently does NOT restrict such things. However, the logic (your logic, which I agree is valid) of the matter clearly shows that they CAN if they want to. As costs continue to rise, one can easily see that this will become more of an issue in the future.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your points are all accepted; I won't dispute them. They do not change the basic premise, which is an argument you made yourself. If the taxpayer pays, the taxpayer has the right to a say. With regard to children receiving contraceptives, you framed it as a cost issue, and I can't disagree with you. The same argument, the very same logic, insists that if cost is the factor that permits the state to intrude on what would otherwise be personal choice (or poor choices or lack of making choices), then alcohol must be banned as well. The core logic is precisely the same.

And technically, you didn't even disagree with me. You pointed out that the government currently does NOT restrict such things. However, the logic (your logic, which I agree is valid) of the matter clearly shows that they CAN if they want to. As costs continue to rise, one can easily see that this will become more of an issue in the future.

When you say government we say us. We the tax payer have the say. The government can't if they want to, we the tax payer can if we want to, I think you underestimate how much the tax payer can influence what goes on, we are a small country it's much easier for us to have our say than millions more Americans can. I'm sure alot of things will become issues as they have in the past by it is our NHS and it's up to us to make sure we have our say, many can't be bothered and will just moan but the means are there to have your say and take part in the decision making.
The government is trying to get a bill through Parliament that 'reforms' the NHS, it's being changed all the time because it's not accepted as being what the country wants. It will continue to have to be changed until it's what people want, not what the government wants.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
US President Gerald R. Ford "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have," in an address to a joint session of Congress on August 12, 1974

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you say government we say us. We the tax payer have the say. The government can't if they want to, we the tax payer can if we want to, I think you underestimate how much the tax payer can influence what goes on, we are a small country it's much easier for us to have our say than millions more Americans can. I'm sure alot of things will become issues as they have in the past by it is our NHS and it's up to us to make sure we have our say, many can't be bothered and will just moan but the means are there to have your say and take part in the decision making.
The government is trying to get a bill through Parliament that 'reforms' the NHS, it's being changed all the time because it's not accepted as being what the country wants. It will continue to have to be changed until it's what people want, not what the government wants.

Again, I don't see any point of disagreement here. The taxpayer gets the say. In contraception for children today, alcohol, risky sex, and being fat tomorrow. Your logic is sound, I just don't like where it leads.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." Lord Acton

"Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner." James Bovard

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, I don't see any point of disagreement here. The taxpayer gets the say. In contraception for children today, alcohol, risky sex, and being fat tomorrow. Your logic is sound, I just don't like where it leads.

Well, we compromise, it's not all or nothing, it's consensus rather than individualism, it's how we work, have done for long time now, it won't 'lead' anywhere. You are seeing things from your American perspective with your experiences, we see it from ours.

Latest Discussions