The changes time brings...

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been training in Taekwondo for 3 years, advancing one belt a year and have been enjoying it. But I have been dealt a growth spurt and am now much bigger than everyone in my class, so I move do the seiniour class which is lead by the same Masters. It is rubbish, it has all the charetaristics of a McDojan (exept for the six year old second danners). So here I am, after having tried all of the other available dojans and all having failed, I am faced with changing arts. There is a Ju Jitsu school in my area. Should I?...Advice?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It can't hurt to try something else, (well, unless you land on your head, that'll hurt) especially if you aren't happy with what you are doing now.

What did you like about your art? We might be able to point you at other similar arts/systems.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
I have been training in Taekwondo for 3 years, advancing one belt a year and have been enjoying it. But I have been dealt a growth spurt and am now much bigger than everyone in my class, so I move do the seiniour class which is lead by the same Masters. It is rubbish, it has all the charetaristics of a McDojan (exept for the six year old second danners). So here I am, after having tried all of the other available dojans and all having failed, I am faced with changing arts. There is a Ju Jitsu school in my area. Should I?...Advice?

If you are not happy with this school, look for another one. it's your time, your training, and your money. spend it wisely

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:

It's a shame to invest those years and to end up feeling the way you feel about the dojang; but, it's difficult to continue anything that you feel is rubbish. How is it rubbish or McDojang-ish?

What was the reason for failing the other studios?

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you don't want to work out with the adults, you would want to stay in the kiddie pool?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Give it a week-long trial. See what you think! It'll be good for you either way. Let us know how it goes.

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
So you don't want to work out with the adults, you would want to stay in the kiddie pool?

The adult class is not as good as the "kiddie" class, it has slow easy sparring, people do patterns wrongly and nobody points it out plus there is no working out involved whereas in the juniour onewe often did "work outs" and such.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So the adult class sucks while the kids class is thr real deal? Let me ask you are you more comfortable working out with your friends in the kids class?

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
So the adult class sucks while the kids class is thr real deal? Let me ask you are you more comfortable working out with your friends in the kids class?
Yes but I also have friends in the adult class.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
The adult class is not as good as the "kiddie" class, it has slow easy sparring, people do patterns wrongly and nobody points it out plus there is no working out involved whereas in the juniour onewe often did "work outs" and such.

I am not sure about the classes not being there. It is also your time and money and training. Yet, you do have the option of working your best in the adult alass, and bring your intensity, and work ethics to this class, and see if the rest pick it up, becuase they now have seen your attitude.

As to the Instructors not correcting, I cannot speak to that, all you can do is your best listen to when the instructors do correct you, and show that you are listening and maybe they will continue to correct you, so you can continue to learn.

Once again I am not walking in your shoes so you have to make the choices, I can only give outside advice from not seeing it, and let you decide on your own. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
try new things
but try to limit your trials by time...
otherwise u could keep trying places for years! like me...

Latest Discussions