Changing Training as We Age

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm finding that even with WT, I approach it differently as I get older. You know, not so many reps. of chain punches on a really hard wall bag, less full on sparring and a lot more chi-sau. I've got a few joint issues too. You learn to adapt. And, I've met some 'chunners a good deal older than any of us, and they are still lovin' it!

I would have to say that I'm not going full out like I was 10 years ago but what I like is although my training isn't as intense as often, I don't have to modify my technique. In fact, I find my skill improving.
My si-fu tells us to train as if we're old men. In other words, not to muscle the techniques. That way as we age our skill can continue to improve, and we have a lifetime to develop it. If we wait until we're "geezers" to soften up, then we've only given ourselves a few years to develop soft skills.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the weekend, I sparred a classmate of mine who is 12 years younger than me at age 38. Until recently, I have been known for my kicks and foot movement. Now, at age 50, and after knee surgery, shoulder surgery, hernia surgery, and Chron's, I am still in relatively good shape for my ager but after almost 32 years of training/practice I can feel it...LOL! I took up Yang tai chi 12 years ago to change things, including my disposition from an angry kung fu guy to a pleasant tai chi killing me softly guy....LOL! In any event, to other people of my generation, how has your practice changed in the last few years, both mentally and physically, as you age? What different kinds of practice have you instituted to keep up your skills yet not beat up the body so much anymore? I am just curious and ask advice from my fellow old codgers here. I accept the fact that you answering me in no way implies you are now an old codger....LOL! If you are young codger, will take advice as well. Gotta go get my hearing checked now, look forward to everyone's advice!
I think the key is to train smarter, not harder. You have to listen to your body, and not get caught up with the “I have been around longer, so I can do more thing”. You have to be well rounded so you can teach a diverse group, but, I feel at my age, my mind has adapted very well to the body changes. As you age, stick with forms and kata so your technique stays intact.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Aside from a significant head injury that has altered the amount of contact that I am now allowed to risk during sparring, the main effect I've had to adjust to has been reduced recovery times. A lot of things that I would have just shrugged off ten years ago, in my mid twenties, now can side line me for a few days. I also need a bit more time to warm up or the knees complain loudly.

I still perform as well though, its just the after effects that suck. Sometimes I wonder about how the injuries are going to impact my health as I age, especially into my fifties and sixties. I notice that a lot of martial artists seem to age well, but that is true of athletes in general.

I think that weight training and cardio training ( gotta love the Army, keep you fit) has been an important adjunct to my martial arts. In fact, my martial arts would be no where near the level they are with out them. The weight and cardio have helped me rehab after knee surgery, regain my fitness after deployments where pt wasn't really possible, recover from injuries, slim back down after getting my first desk job that has required a lot of travel coupled with a general propensity towards bad eating habits, and just maintain a generaly good to high level of fitness which is always a positive thing for a martial artist of any age. I've really had to focus on maintaining soilid conditioning.

Mark

davj22

White Belt
Reaction score
Off the bat I would say it's important to train in an art and with an instructor where injuries rarely happen if ever. The more injuries you take the faster you will age your body and the more likely it is that you will over time develop chronic conditions like arthritis that will hinder your physical abilities and quality of life and your ability to defend yourself.

With that said most people often begin with "hard style" arts in which there is a lot of clashing, banging, and injuries. That's fine, but only for a while. It will eventually catch up with you unless you're combatting that with internal development such as gi-kung or nei-kung and have comprehensive knowledge of chinese herbs and other herbs that be be used to counteract the trauma.

Even then most practitioners usually end up evolving to "softer styles" that tend to blend with energy and efficiently capitalize on leverage instead of having to rely on strength, speed, or athleticism. In transitioning to those styles you can often times become even more effective with your martial art as you now learn to build up your body's sensitivity to attacks and energy. You can continue making your body and skin more sensitive your whole life as your sensitivity knows no bounds ... unlike strength and speed which will be ultimately limited by genetics, diet, physical fitness, age, and health. Most of the most lethal martial artists that I know are elderly practitioners who later transitioned into the softer styles like tai chi, ba-gua, hsing yi, ketsugo jujutsu, aikido, etc.

Hope that is helpful.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a difference between getting old and still being able to kick butt, let's not confuse the two as someone here made mention that they wished their Kempo instructor still whoops them LOL.

As you get old, I'm 48 and after 20+ years, my knee injured in my 20s talks to me clear and loud now a days LOL (surgery time just before I retire for the 2nd time) have to be able to take those bike trips upon retirement.

Back to the subject, I've switched from grueling workouts to just keeping myself in decent physical shape now, my job helps in that aspect also. I do my push-ups, sit-ups, stretches and practice my techniques when partners are available. I have slowed down quite a bit, but I won't quit that's for sure.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oh yea I've change my training methods as I've aged. I've also changed them as a result of injuries over the years. Training methods, techniques, and TACTICS.

See when I was in my 20's, I could to alot of stupid things and my body would take the punishment.

When I got into my 30's, my body still could take alot and it didn't phase me.

When I got to my 40's jump kicks didn't jump all that much but that was about it as for changing.

But in my 50s.... yep my legs aren't what they used to be. As a result my hands have taken over alot and I can say I'm mucho improved in that area to compensate.

Same goes for tactics. Hard blocking is now de-emphasizeds and manuver to miligate strikes is emphasized. Fakes, I mean real honest to good fakes that seem so real you would swear I was going to throw that punch or kick, are now much more appart of my tactics than they were before.

Yes my methods and stratagy has changed much over the years.

Deaf

OP
N

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What Deaf just described almost fits me to a T. What has been so frustrating for me is to see the decline in my kicking efficiency, as I was known for this in my kung fu early days, but at the same time my hands, foot movement, angles, and naturalness have increased in the last few years, especially since starting tai chi 12 years ago to parallel my kung fu training. As I said, the occasional outbreak of my Chron's hinders my joints some, but I can still do a split and kick when I need to, but now the sensitivity and reaction skills that Deaf mentioned are applicable here. I think he perfectly described the progression here. On the other hand, as I have said, my 74 year old eagle claw master and my Shaolin master's 103 year old master still move like people much younger! But then they just grin if I ask about aches and pains.....LOL!!

I guess at that age, pain means you are still alive....LOL!

Latest Discussions