The Book I Cannot Buy...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody contacted Amazon or any of the other sellers to find out why the sale got cancelled? I mean, if I were Amazon or the others, and someone selling through my service kept offering something for sale, but not selling it -- I'd want to know, and they'd be gone.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Has anybody contacted Amazon or any of the other sellers to find out why the sale got cancelled? I mean, if I were Amazon or the others, and someone selling through my service kept offering something for sale, but not selling it -- I'd want to know, and they'd be gone.

Yes. Repeatedly.

I have gotten several answers.

1) The book was damaged. We decided not to sell it on that basis.
2) We sent it, didn't you get it? OK, we'll give you a refund then.
3) No answer.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't, and am not planning to. However, Amazon 'knows' (albeit digitally) the MassBookStore transaction was cancelled -- it was Amazon that notified me, not the MassBookStore.

MPC1257

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How about http://www.angelfire.com/tx/FSIK/products.html
There is this section on their web page:

[SIZE=+2]Books by Javier Martinez [/SIZE]
I have not had the opportunity to read any of the books in this series but have been asked for them and the review I received was excellent.
Isshin-Ryu Naihanchi Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Chinto Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Seiuchin Kata Secrets Revealed (not yet released)...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)

Mail check or money to:
Isshinryu Advance Books
3A, O-19
El Plantio, Toa Baja, PR 00949
book-33.gif

I've never ordered anything from them, but maybe because they are in PR you can get the book?</B>

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have not had the opportunity to read any of the books in this series but have been asked for them and the review I received was excellent.
Isshin-Ryu Naihanchi Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Chinto Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)
Isshin-Ryu Seiuchin Kata Secrets Revealed (not yet released)...Price..$12.95 plus $3.00 S&H (priority mail)

Mail check or money to:
Isshinryu Advance Books
3A, O-19
book-33.gif

I've never ordered anything from them, but maybe because they are in PR you can get the book?</B>

Good find, Javier Martinez lives in PR, so maybe he still has copies available.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Mail check or money to:
Isshinryu Advance Books
3A, O-19
book-33.gif

I sent an email asking about availability, thank you!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now...if they tell you NO!!!! we will all know there is more to this than you are telling us... I still think there is a connection to your military days and Javier Martinez :mst: :uhyeah:

The email bounced back - no such email address anymore. Sigh.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Abebooks has processed a refund to your credit card for the order below.

Details are as follows:

Bookseller: River City Books, LLC
Sales Order No.: 73919502
Reason for Return: bookseller accepted order in error
Comments:

Title: Isshinryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed
Author: Javier Martinez
Price: US$ 15.90
Shipping: US$ 6.00
Total: US$ 21.90
We hope you will visit abebooks.com again in the future.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It keeps getting better. I check ABE this morning, and see another listing for the same book from the same bookseller who cancelled my order. I sent them an e-mail

I checked ABE this morning, you are showing another copy of this book, you inventory number 0511NG-12507. Can you confirm whether you have this item available?
>
To which I get this reply

Dear XXX,
I'm very sorry XXX, the book in that location, has the incorrect title due to an ISBN, which is being used for 3 Different books. ISBN 9780965008510 was used for "Isshinryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed", "Cherry" and "A Friend of Earth". Our data entry person apparently didn't verify the correct title before entering the book. The book we have is "Cherry". I'm very sorry we could not help you at this time. Although I am very thankful you emailed so that I can delete that entry and have it entered correctly.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if you really want this book you'll shell out more than $20 for it. Try one of the $60 options ... perhaps you'll get the book then.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does this book even really exist?

Yes it does. It just doesn't exist in the e-tailer's inventories.

I ordered 3 copies from 3 new e-tailers on Amazon. All were canceled. However...one was kind enough to give me an explanation as to WHY it was cancelled:

Dear Carol:

My apologies, we had to cancel your order because we could not fulfill that order as placed.

Items are entered into our inventory by scanning the International Standard Book Number (ISBN) barcode on the back cover. Occasionally, publishers make mistakes and the ISBN on the back is not correct. That's what happened here.

The book you ordered ("Isshinryu Kusanku Kata Secrets Revealed") is what came up when the volume was scanned in a while ago but that is not the title of the physical book. This should have been caught by the person doing inventory entry but it was not and for that we apologize greatly. The simple truth is that we never had your title on the shelf and didn't know it.

We have refunded your order in full and extend our profuse apologies for the mistake.

We try never to mislead a customer, certainly not intentionally and hopefully not unintentionally. We also believe in being honest as to why we have to cancel your order.

Thank you for your understanding and we're sorry for the inconvenience we have caused you.

Sincerely,

Fred Smith

Hall Street Books
248 Flushing Avenue
New York, NY

Mystery solved.

And yes, I wrote a kind letter back to Mr. Smith thanking him for his explanation, and advising him that his shop will be the first I check for book purchases in the future.

Latest Discussions