The black belt promotion system YES or NO?

brian k

White Belt
Reaction score
Over the years I have collected a decent number of black belts, and various degrees in different systems.

Currently I'm training in Muay Thai, where there is no belt system. Despite the fact that I'm proud of a few of the belts I have achieved, overall I am greatly enjoying training in a system that has no belt ranking system. It's liberating!!!

My belts have given me legitimacy over the years, and that's been helpful occasionally, to give me a platform to teach. But overall, I dislike what a belt system brings into the culture of a gym.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but what do you guys think of the belt ranking systems? The politics of belts? It seems everyone is either A. Over promoted or B. Under promoted and ultimately it can be all a major distraction from effective training.

Thoughts?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the years I have collected a decent number of black belts, and various degrees in different systems.

Currently I'm training in Muay Thai, where there is no belt system. Despite the fact that I'm proud of a few of the belts I have achieved, overall I am greatly enjoying training in a system that has no belt ranking system. It's liberating!!!

My belts have given me legitimacy over the years, and that's been helpful occasionally, to give me a platform to teach. But overall, I dislike what a belt system brings into the culture of a gym.

I'm not saying it's all bad, but what do you guys think of the belt ranking systems? The politics of belts? It seems everyone is either A. Over promoted or B. Under promoted and ultimately it can be all a major distraction from effective training.

Thoughts?
I train in one system. I have one black belt. I would still train in it if it awarded no belts at all.

What my belt means to me is that my Sensei, who is very highly regarded and whom I respect and look up to, has decided that I am worthy of representing our dojo as an instructor and an advanced student. That has value to me. When he calls me Sensei Bill in front of other students, it feels good, like I've actually accomplished something. Is that pride or ego? If it is, it is.

Fortunately, our dojo is small and we're very much a family. I have never seen dojo politics as some have. We're so harmonious it's crazy. The world outside is going nuts; not us. Belts or no belts, we respect, like, and protect each other.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in one system. I have one black belt. I would still train in it if it awarded no belts at all.

What my belt means to me is that my Sensei, who is very highly regarded and whom I respect and look up to, has decided that I am worthy of representing our dojo as an instructor and an advanced student. That has value to me. When he calls me Sensei Bill in front of other students, it feels good, like I've actually accomplished something. Is that pride or ego? If it is, it is.

Fortunately, our dojo is small and we're very much a family. I have never seen dojo politics as some have. We're so harmonious it's crazy. The world outside is going nuts; not us. Belts or no belts, we respect, like, and protect each other.
The culture in a gym is so important. When you find a gym where everything clicks, it is magic.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You make it sound so nice and simple - just the way it should be. So glad I got to experience that too as I grew from a teen into a young man with a great sensei as a role model and friend. I learned so much more than self-defense.

Latest Discussions