The Best Art....Is There Such A Thing?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My own personal style, Warty Toad, is a perfect example of one that's good against some things and poor against others. I quite literally eats Mantis, Centipede and 10,000 Golden Bees systems alive. Jumping kicks and sticky tongue are second to none. But it's got no real defense against white crane. Newer variations like Warty Cane Toad use Poison Neck against Crane and Snake.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All Martial Arts are cultural artifacts, designed to solve certain problems. I couldn't take my Italian Rapier skills out to a Medieval battlefield (time travel problems aside! ;)) and expect to survive, even if it's a wonderful and lethal Martial Art. It's just not designed to deal with that situation. But in a back alley brawl or a formal duel, it's just what the doctor ordered. In a firefight, my Ringen isn't going to do too much, regardless if I suck at it or not (and I _do_ suck at Ringen).

The test of a Martial Art is not "can it do everything?", but "does it solve the problems it's designed to?"

Some arts are a little more adaptable to varying situations, and that's part of the design for some of them as well. For example, should I have a four foot piece of rebar, my longsword skills will transfer quite well should I find myself in a situation where I'd need to use one to defend myself. My rapier skills won't transfer well at all.

Martial Arts are answers to certain questions. There's no point in criticizing a Martial Art for not answering a question outside its ambit. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My perspective and opinion...

The Martial Art is doing the right thing at the right time. We do not have to know every move, or be an expert at them all. We just need to know enough to respond successfully to any potential attack. If your attacker could possibly attack you with one of 10,000 different options, you don't need to have mastered 10,000 different responses. You could very well have perfected a dozen or so, which deal with each of a few general types of attacks as have been mentioned (striking - long, medium, or close range; holding - grappling, grabbing, choking, locking; and throwing - sweeping, reaping, flipping, and other take-downs).

What many people refer to as different "arts" or "styles" within the Martial Art, I call systems. The reason being that I believe the "Art" is all knowledge that exists, and all options available. No one can teach it all, or learn it all in one life time, but we can study a system that contains sufficient responses to successfully address all of the general groups of attacking options.

Some systems limit their categories by not working on the ground, or by not fighting close range, or against a long range kicker. This is where people find "gaps" that they want to close. This is what some systems have evolved into - - mostly by the choice of Founders and subsequent instructors in each generation. It is not the "Art" that is lacking, but the choice of the instructors and participants in any given "system" which chooses to weed out certain techniques or entire categories of techniques.

From a perspective of Taekwondo, I view this as a word that labels where it comes, and a philosophy for strategy more than the specific techniques contained within. The term "Taekwondo" was suggested in 1955 to give a name to what already existed. The word does not make up the Art - - The "Art" is what we do in response to an attack. Training in the Art is being prepared for that response. In recent times, people have said "I like the kicks of Taekwondo," or "I love to compete in tournaments, so that is all I want to focus on." The combat aspect of Taekwondo/Hapkido/Hoshinsul/Yudo is lost to them (eg: close range hands and elbows, take-downs, joint locks, pressure points, ground-fighting). Taekwondo is not void of these things, but some schools/instructors choose to proceed without it and their definition of "Taekwondo" becomes the publics perception.

In the history of any system of the Martial Art, I don't believe that any Master said to his disciple, "wait, you can't do that move because it is not part of our system." What they most likely taught and practiced was what worked and how to be prepared if an attacker did "A," "B," or "C." You don't have to be as good of a kicker as your opponent to have successful defenses against a kick, but not knowing how to kick at all, limits your options, and might prevent you from fully understanding what kickers do.

I don't have to be the best at throwing to prevent a thrower from defeating me with one throw. I can spoil their power, and know only a few counters that allow me to survive their throwing skill, and then resume with my grappling, or punching, or kicking techniques that I am good at.

I really do not believe that we have to run out to a Judo school (or invite a Judo instructor to our Dojang) to train in throwing, however research must be done to learn it right. I have seen many Taekwondo instructors who threw with poor skill - - it doesn't have to be that way. I don't have to become a Black Belt in jujutsu (jujitsu, juijuitsu, etc) in order to perfect my ground-fighting skills within my Taekwondo training. Nor do I believe that an Aikido practitioner needs to start doing jump spin hook kicks in order to be adept at avoiding the impact of a kick.

The only "gap" in any system within the Martial Art, is not having a adequate repertoire of responses to whatever your opponent throws at you. Observe other people doing other methods and systems. Train in them if you want, but I do not believe you need to go outside of your own system to close those gaps. Just find out what those gaps are and train to prevent the penetration through that gap.

That's my personal opinion.
CM D.J. Eisenhart

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
For my answer I would say that there is a "best art". I base this on any individual that studies and practices. They search out, try some, move on during their journey. Eventually they find one that catches their attention, where they then take up its study. Further along the path, through trial and error, addition and subtraction, etc.. they find their way. Being happy and satisfied, they've found the best art.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many times, when discussing arts, we hear people say that X art is the best, compared to Y, A doesnt have B, so its not as good as C. The list goes on and on.

So, what makes people think that there is a "best" art out there?

Oh, absolutely there is.

It's the art that you enjoy the most, the one that stresses your mental and physical development, the one where you leave the school sweating and smiling.

Actually, as far as comparisons of the arts, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Put any two people from different styles together in competition and the one who has better mastery of his style will probably win.

Tong Po

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is the BEST art......for me! I have fun doing it so it's not too hard for me to get off the couch and train. BJJ is a great art....not for me though because I didn't truly love doing it. I had a great world renowned instructor, great training partners and facilities.....but it seemed like a chore to me.

Every art has it's strength's and weaknesses. I say find an art you enjoy and have at it!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sigh. How many times must we go over this?

Sinanju, the Sun Source of ALL martial arts is the best! (All other being but shadows of Sinanju ...)

Naturally, since the place of origin, Sinanju, is in Korea, KOREAN martial arts are the best, being closest to the source!

And of THOSE, we all know hapkido to be the closest thing to Sinanju available to The Masses.

Now go eat your stinky hamburgers — I have soap operas to watch!

:)

(Ya'll know I'm just kidding....right? Well... MOSTLY just kidding :D)

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sigh. How many times must we go over this?

Sinanju, the Sun Source of ALL martial arts is the best! (All other being but shadows of Sinanju ...)

Naturally, since the place of origin, Sinanju, is in Korea, KOREAN martial arts are the best, being closest to the source!

And of THOSE, we all know hapkido to be the closest thing to Sinanju available to The Masses.

Now go eat your stinky hamburgers — I have soap operas to watch!

:)

(Ya'll know I'm just kidding....right? Well... MOSTLY just kidding :D)

All hail Chiun, Master of Sinanju! :uhyeah:

Slihn

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Of course we all know that they is no "best" or "worse" art.What might be best for one person might be useless to another.For example I short bulkly fighter with long arms will most likely have a hard time perfecting I Martia Art the emphasies kicks,like TKD. I believe in the JKD concept."Simply accept what is useful and reject what is useless."In that method you will find what is the "best" art for you .