The Best Art....Is There Such A Thing?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times, when discussing arts, we hear people say that X art is the best, compared to Y, A doesnt have B, so its not as good as C. The list goes on and on.

So, what makes people think that there is a "best" art out there? Is it because of something they saw on youtube? Something that they saw on PPV? Something that they saw someone else do, so they assume that because one person has success with it, it must be good.

IMHO, I think that there can be something learned from every art. Just because something works for one person, doesnt mean it'll work for everyone. I've added things to my training from other arts.

This isn't a thread to talk about the pros/cons of cross training. Lately, I've seen some threads with people saying that art A is the best for everything.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mike I truely believe there is no best Art but only best fighters. Now I have always liked Vango, of course his earlier work. Just Kidding
icon10.gif
, you know TKD and Okinawa Karate has made a nice fit for me and the seminars and working with other MA'ist out there has help fill in the gaps.

I'm with you looking around to find tidbits that will help fill the gaps is well worth the time and effort and the people you get to meet and train with are just awesome.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe there is no one true art, or one best art. They all have their positives and negatives. I agree with Terry, mix it up. The best art depends on the distance between the fighters. One could argue that from long distance, Tae Kwon Do, or an art that incorporates kicking as a majority would be best. Kempo or another striking art for midrange. Muay Tai, or other such arts, for that close range fighting. I'm sure it would be Judo or like arts for taking it to the ground. Then I don't think too many would argue that JuiJitsu and other grappling arts are best on the ground.
In many cases it takes a lifetime, or close to it to master any one art, so how then can any single art be the best of all arts. Nobady has the amount of time on Earth to master it all ... just MHO.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
"People diserve the right to free speach as a payment for the right of free thought, which they so rarely use." Soren Kirkegaard.
OK, I probably mis-worded that, but you get what I'm saying.
icon10.gif

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The best art is the one you, the practitioner, can stick with, can participate in for the long haul, so that you can continue to learn and improve. No matter how good the art, how many ranges it covers, etc., if you can't stick with it, the rest of it doesn't matter.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike I truely believe there is no best Art but only best fighters. Now I have always liked Vango, of course his earlier work. Just Kidding
icon10.gif
, you know TKD and Okinawa Karate has made a nice fit for me and the seminars and working with other MA'ist out there has help fill in the gaps.

I'm with you looking around to find tidbits that will help fill the gaps is well worth the time and effort and the people you get to meet and train with are just awesome.

You bring up some good points Terry. :) Interestingly enough, I've mentioned gaps, holes in certain aspects of training. The usual reply is, "There is not necessarily a gap in the art, but instead in the way you understand it." In other words, supposedly the art is fine, but because we dont understand the deeper meaning of it all, we think that there is a gap, when there really isn't. Sorry, but I just can't buy that.

Hmm...looks like I shouldn't have said that we can't mention cross training. :) That being said...I feel that if ground work is lacking, work with a grappler. If you need more work with your hands, take some pointers from a boxer. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe there is no one true art, or one best art. They all have their positives and negatives. I agree with Terry, mix it up. The best art depends on the distance between the fighters. One could argue that from long distance, Tae Kwon Do, or an art that incorporates kicking as a majority would be best. Kempo or another striking art for midrange. Muay Tai, or other such arts, for that close range fighting. I'm sure it would be Judo or like arts for taking it to the ground. Then I don't think too many would argue that JuiJitsu and other grappling arts are best on the ground.

Can't disagree with this statement. :)

In many cases it takes a lifetime, or close to it to master any one art, so how then can any single art be the best of all arts. Nobady has the amount of time on Earth to master it all ... just MHO.

Agree again. :) I think that this is why certain people frown upon more than one art. Thing is, for myself, I'm not trying to 'master' the art of ground fighting. I'm trying to learn some basics, to save my butt, should I end up on the ground.

MartialArtHeart

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, you could always think of it this way... if you have a bunch of random martial arts.... you may have art A completely dominate art B, but then get whooped by art C; art C may in turn be defeated by art B. And then it goes on in that fashion... no one art could defeat every single other art...
but then again... the ones practicing the arts are human, and thus prone to error, or a just-plain-bad-day... as you've probably heard before, given the right set of circumstances, even a complete moron could defeat a trained fighter.

Anyways, I believe that martial arts is a series of strengths and weaknesses. haha, is anyone here young enough to remember pokemon? You had fire beating up grass... and grass whooping water... and water drenching fire...
sorry, but the analogy was too perfect... I had to use it! ;)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The best MA I have ever seen is Celestial Martial Art taught by aliens...or was it the Magician Martial Arts...there was this Grandmaster that none of his students could touch him...hehehe...couldn't resist.
icon10.gif

I have seen arts that covers long, mid, trapping, grappling ranges but do not excel in one particular aspect. I have seen others that concentrate in one particular range...long or mid or trapping or ground. A few do cover some of the ranges rather well. If there's a hole/gap in your MA then fill it up. If your gonna steal...steal from the best.

Personally I agree with Kacey the best MA is the one you enjoy. An effective MA for self defense. If you have the time, go visit other dojos/studios/local YMCA and play with the other kids so you can learn from each other and keep EGOs out of it. If you keep it fun and take care of your partner they will train with you again.

Cheers!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I achieved my black belt, my teacher took me to dinner and told me two things:
1. Now I had to teach.
2. Now I had to go try out another Martial Art.

He told me that these were vital to my continued growth as a martial artist because I would receive a new appreciation and understanding of martial arts from both. He was right. I trained in two very different MA's that offered something my Bando training did not emphasis as much. Did I master Jiu Jitsu or TKD? No, to this day I hold no official rank in either system what so ever - by choice. Heck, I am still trying to master Bando and will die before that happens, but Jiu Jitsu and TKD both helped me understand more about martial arts and most definitely increased my abilities as a martial artist.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
While there may might not be an art that can claim to be "the Best" all arts are not equal either. If they were we could all be studying at the Celestial Martial Arts Dojo.

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
To say that one art is the best for all situations sounds to me like an excuse to stop observing and learning from experience... and we all know where that leads!
icon10.gif

I agree with Terryl965 on this, no superior arts, only superior artists.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You bring up some good points Terry. :) Interestingly enough, I've mentioned gaps, holes in certain aspects of training. The usual reply is, "There is not necessarily a gap in the art, but instead in the way you understand it." In other words, supposedly the art is fine, but because we dont understand the deeper meaning of it all, we think that there is a gap, when there really isn't. Sorry, but I just can't buy that.

Hmm...looks like I shouldn't have said that we can't mention cross training. :) That being said...I feel that if ground work is lacking, work with a grappler. If you need more work with your hands, take some pointers from a boxer. :)

Mike not trying to steal your thread but I have been studying the Arts for 45 years and believe me there are gaps in all arts and we need to find other so call arts to fullfill the void and truely enlighting ourself for the better person we can be. Cross training or getting extra training is the best possible way to become complete within. Sorry i had to say that.

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
take what u feel comfortable using, that what i always do because in the end those technique are the ones that u goona use the most.

BudoTiger

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
alot of the argument of "X art is better than Y art" comes from history. when the practitioners would challenge one another to fights to the death. who ever won would take the other and his students as students. thats where alot of it started to my knowledge. some of it came from the argument that ALL fights go to the ground. that can also be argued against. i have seen and been in several that didn't. thats why the argument that jiujitsu is the best comes up.

granted some fights do end up on the ground and when they do i wanna know how to defend myself. the style of kempo i took before incorporated jiu jitsu in it and even though i am by far no master and probably couldn't take on a BB in jiu jitsu i do feel confident enough that i could defend myself.

we were always told no matter how good you are there is ALWAYS someone better and anyone can have an off day. training as an instructor i trained with people of ranks in kempo from purple belt (beginning intermediate) to BB. we all had off days. some of the days i would get the better of higher ranks. most of the time they cleaned my clock. lmao. its all in how hard you train and whats going on in your mind that day.

no one art is better than any other. it comes down to the person just like in anything.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, IT is the person who trains very hard that makes any art "the best".

Most martial arts takes time to learn and to make it a part of you.

ON the streets....anyone can get a lucky punch/kick/hit and knock you out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
One art most people do not consider is JUDO? You will find Judo is an excellant art for young children and very hands on training.

Judo is also excellant for adults too. Please look into JUDO more? ....you may find it as ONE of the many "best arts" out there. .......Aloha

brianlkennedy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am often asked this here in Taiwan by foreigners who come to Taiwan to study martial arts. My response is always the same:
Best for what purpose?
Best for whom?

The first question comes from my thinking that martial arts serve a whole range of goals; recreation, socializing, self defense, exercise, sport fighting, studying an interesting part of Chinese culture or as a part of religious training (i.e. Zen or Daoism), general character building or some combo of those things.

So the first thing I do is have the person list those things in order of priority; i.e. most important to least important. Then I can make a somewhat more intelligent referral.

As to the second question; in martial arts one size does not fit all. It is a never ending source of amazement to me how people think best is a quality that is inherent in the martial art. Best is a relationship between person X and martial art Y.

So before I make a referral to some particular art or teacher I take a look at the future student; young or old, in shape or not, tall or short, likes contact or does not, likes solo practice or wants to do everything in a group and so on.

Then after pondering those two questions, I can intelligently help the guy find the Best Martial Art for him.

Take care,
Brian

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say the one that trains you to best accomplish what you set out to do.

It's almost like asking, "What is the best American automobile?"

The one that get's you form A to B. Style and mileage my vary. Ask a 16 yr old with his new license and you'll get one answer. Ask a 40 yr old and you'll get another.

I guess there is such a thing, but couldn't it change over the years? Or do all paths go up to the same mountain top? Seems there has to be a match between the art and the person. We can't just pick a best art, without knowing who it is suited for. Thing is, most beginners will not know what is good even for themselves. Trial and error until you find the right one is a start. But even then, do most have the ambition to stick with anything for life these days?

For some, the best art is one of self defense. Others, some mental stimulation. And even fewer others, it's something they live and breath daily. It is something they cannot and would not do without. It has become engrained in their lives, physically, mentaly and spiritually. Of course those three words are painted on almost every window and brochure you pick up in the martial arts circuit, but how many can really give you what you are looking for? When you find it, then I'd say that is the "best" art -- for you.

Latest Discussions