The Art of kicking

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Arnold what I mean is after you explain and teach the proper techs. to a certain kick, when you end up with that kick do you do anything else. Like with me I can video tape the person and then go over every single movement and take the time to explain what was great and what they still need. Maybe give them another waythat might be more useful if they are having trouble. Basically making sure they are sure about what we tought them.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Arnold what I mean is after you explain and teach the proper techs. to a certain kick, when you end up with that kick do you do anything else. Like with me I can video tape the person and then go over every single movement and take the time to explain what was great and what they still need. Maybe give them another waythat might be more useful if they are having trouble. Basically making sure they are sure about what we tought them.

NOT MASTER

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score

I don't know that I have ever "ended up"
How do you teach how to punch and have you ever "ended up" with it.
I think if I wrote down everything I knew about a punch it would be thousands of pages long yet I never stop practicing.

An instructors job is to continually test and come up with ways to test and teach a student.

Many never make the connection between learning a technique, variations, step sparring, breaking, sparring, testing, teaching... how all of these tie togeather.

Many wish to read a book and think that they know how things work so I guess the day I feel I've ended up I will quite :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that I have ever "ended up"
How do you teach how to punch and have you ever "ended up" with it.
I think if I wrote down everything I knew about a punch it would be thousands of pages long yet I never stop practicing.

An instructors job is to continually test and come up with ways to test and teach a student.

Many never make the connection between learning a technique, variations, step sparring, breaking, sparring, testing, teaching... how all of these tie togeather.

Many wish to read a book and think that they know how things work so I guess the day I feel I've ended up I will quite :)

I guess I would agre with you but so many student feel they know it and that is all. Today world only one out of every thousand stay more than two years in any given art. This is when they have ended up and will never grow past that point for the few that can make it a lifetime journey it only ends when you end.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I would agre with you but so many student feel they know it and that is all. Today world only one out of every thousand stay more than two years in any given art. This is when they have ended up and will never grow past that point for the few that can make it a lifetime journey it only ends when you end.

Terry, it's that way all over. No matter what you choose to specialize in, only a very few people will truly devote themselves to being "the best" - many will stop at "good enough" and even more will stop at "bored" or "too hard". I wouldn't expect TKD, or any other martial art, to be any different.

The following is usually intended for school teachers, but can apply to teachers and instructors of any type; just change "child" to "student", and maybe you'll see what I mean:

One hundred years from now
It will not matter
What kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much I had in my bank
Nor what my clothes looked like.
One hundred years from now
It will not matter
What kind of school I attended,
What kind of typewriter I used,
How large or small my church,
But the world may be ...
a little better because...
I was important in the life of a child.

Source: Forest Witcraft, "Within My Power", Scouting, October 1950, p. 2

So... your students didn't get where you wanted them to be - did you make a difference in their lives? If you did, then you were successful.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, it's that way all over. No matter what you choose to specialize in, only a very few people will truly devote themselves to being "the best" - many will stop at "good enough" and even more will stop at "bored" or "too hard". I wouldn't expect TKD, or any other martial art, to be any different.

The following is usually intended for school teachers, but can apply to teachers and instructors of any type; just change "child" to "student", and maybe you'll see what I mean:

So... your students didn't get where you wanted them to be - did you make a difference in their lives? If you did, then you were successful.

Thanks Kacey I beleive I touched every student for the better. I hope I can continue to do that over the years to come.

Latest Discussions