Thatcher's Last PM Question Time

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[yt]rv5t6rC6yvg[/yt]

A fascinating look back to a day when, at the time, I breathed a sigh of relief as I thought (with the idealism of youth) that we were ridding ourselves of a dangerous woman who was leading us down the path to totalitarianism, if not outright fascism.

As I posted in the comments on this YouTube video, whilst I was not and still am not assured of the rightness of the policies she enacted in those awful times in the late 70's and early '80's, I miss the dynamism and commitment of the politicians of those days.

I also think that I was wrong in some of my views of her back then, particularly her stand against the federalisation of Europe. A European super-state was something I favoured when I was younger, as I thought it was our best defence against declining international influence and, no small thing, a stronger bulwark against the Soviet Union. Now I see the concept of a Federal Europe as something to be resisted, just as Mrs Thatcher did, for it undermines the very concept of a democratically elected government charting the course of it's own country.

Presently we are in an era of spin-doctors and appearance triumphing over substance. No matter how much I disagreed with her politics (and I still dislike her intensely because of her attacks on the ability of the working man to organise in his own defence) I would never dispute her integrity. I do feel that, on the whole, she made decisions based upon what she thought was right for the country rather than what would be popular. I would love to see her, rejuvenated to the height of her powers, facing the mealy-mouthed snake-oil-salesman that populate the House of Commons in our present era.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whilst surfing about links from the above I came across this very moving tribute to Ronald Reagan from Baroness Thatcher {sadly the video quality is poor but the words are well chosen}:

[yt]c9eQIWKBR-s[/yt]

It struck me that something that I had overlooked at the time of his service in the Presidency was the resilience he showed in those shoes. Those that have followed him have ever seemed bowed and worn out by the role and yet they have shouldered, in the main, lesser burdens than he faced. Admittedly the world is a more complicated place since the fall of the Berlin Wall, which might account for some of their weariness but Reagan and Thatcher faced times when most of us believed that Europe and much of the West was going to be erased in conflagration at some point.

Is it too much to ask whether we can once more have politicians with backbones and convictions beyond lining their own pockets?

Latest Discussions