Reading Fiction Makes You A More Empathetic Person

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9532000/9532475.stm

A most intriguing study on the positive benefits of reading, particularly fiction. It seems that such a passion allows you to become more understanding of the actions and motivations of others. This is something I have long suspected {being a long-term book-worm :D}.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that the reason why so meany people are jerks? They don't read enough?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
That study's all BS. Really, understand other people more, through reading about a dramatic recreation of a person. No. It's like learning in a vacuum.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After reading a bunch of Iain M Banks I do at least feel equipped to empathise with those existing in a time and place many light years and aeons from now :D

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well look at the bastard!

memes-the-real-nyan-cat-xd.jpg

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My idea of empathy is saying: "I'd love to see things from your point of view, but, I can't get my head that far up my ***."

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My idea of empathy is saying: "I'd love to see things from your point of view, but, I can't get my head that far up my ***."

Right.
(I am pretty sure I can find posts where you toughman fasade is crumbling......but I am not so mean as to destroy your image...:D)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is that the reason why so meany people are jerks? They don't read enough?
Could be... doesn't have to be fiction either just the fact that they can't read beyond street-signs and fast food menus.
I spent 5 days without my computer (yeah, ohh that's where he's been) and grabbed a couple of books from the library. 1 Michael Crichton and 1 Dan Brown. Pretty heady stuff from either of them... but I'm glad to be able to read and enjoy them and have the comprehension (at least with Brown... Crichton is awfully technical but I was able to grasp at least 80% of it) to appreciate the story as it was meant to be read.

Empathy... not quite the same as sympathy to be sure yet easily mis-labeled.
: the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; which to me means I've been there but am not directly involved.
Whereas Sympathy: a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other As to mean I sympathize with your pain because I'm feeling it too for the same reason.

I can see how a book fiction or non can help give a reader a sense of whatever the author is trying to convey via their characters or persons they're writing about. We can read the letters from war veterans (Civil War, WWI or II, et al) and get an idea of what they're going through without having directly experience it ourselves or understand the loneliness, isolation of a fictional character such as Harry Potter ... the better written the prose the better sense of empathy the reader can have when we meet someone (real) going through the same thing without having to sit and listen to their whole life's story.
Still, a person chooses how they want to feel about anything... real or fictional.

Latest Discussions