Testing

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how your schools hold testing. My school has a level system that we use. We don't wear sashes or what not, but we do have levels for cutoff of advanced classes and such. Also what are your test generally like when you do test? Our levels are :

White Level
Gold Level
Green Level
Blue Level
Red 1 Level
Red 2 Level
Brown 1 Level
Brown 2 Level
Black 1 Level
Black 2 Level

They are generaly sectioned by forms. White is certain forms, then Gold is a few more, ect. Also there is a run and horse stance that increase with each level. At Red2 you begin to "spar" or fight on tests with other advanced students and Sifu. Mostly Sticky hands.

7sm

S

Skarbromantis

Hay 7star,

We don’t test, as weird as it sounds, but we don’t, Sifu has a system, we learn 1 form a month, at 12 months you are expected to know 12 forms, at that time you receive a certificate, to say that you have finished that part of the system, its kind of strange, but that’s the way he does it.

I think he can see it in you weather you know it or not, its something in the way you move, if you have been training for 6 months you should move like someone who has trained, for 6 months, not 3, also, we review allot, so I think Sifu watch's at that time to see if you have been practicing your forms.

I often wonder because my friend who trains there, forgets all the forms he is taught, so I wonder what happens at the time when he finish's his 12 forms, he has learned 10 and only remembers 3, if Sifu doesn’t test he has no way of knowing that he forgot all his forms?

Skard1

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skarbromantis

I often wonder because my friend who trains there, forgets all the forms he is taught, so I wonder what happens at the time when he finish's his 12 forms, he has learned 10 and only remembers 3, if Sifu doesn’t test he has no way of knowing that he forgot all his forms?

Skard1

Thats a good point, interesting the way your Sifu works it out there too. I kinda like that though. Do you guys not have to hold horse stance for any certain time, or do any running or anything ?

7sm

S

Skarbromantis

A typical day in class goes like this, the student shows up between 1-4, I go at 1, Sifu will ask you how the form was from the week previous, if you need some work Sifu, will help you then, if its ok, continue with the learning, all classes are taught by Sifu, one on one, no group, we don’t do any running, punching, horse stance, or cardio, strictly learning from Sifu, he show you the move, you go over them a couple time, then the applications then Sifu sends you off to practice, with a senior student or to go and practice on your own.

Skard1

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skarbromantis

A typical day in class goes like this, the student shows up between 1-4, I go at 1, Sifu will ask you how the form was from the week previous, if you need some work Sifu, will help you then, if its ok, continue with the learning, all classes are taught by Sifu, one on one, no group, we don’t do any running, punching, horse stance, or cardio, strictly learning from Sifu, he show you the move, you go over them a couple time, then the applications then Sifu sends you off to practice, with a senior student or to go and practice on your own.

Skard1

That sounds cool, very traditional sounding. We dont do much chi sao or running in class, but we are expected to on our own time. Our test gradually go up on horse stance, distance running, and length of time "fighitng" or "sparring" with sifu and other advanced students. That doesn't come until red level2 though.

7sm

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a PS I guess, our city is filled with about 12 TKD schools, I think one Karate school, and we are the only Kung Fu school, so I think for business reasons our testing level is needed to help new students understand, most of them coming from TKD or Karate backgrounds.

7sm

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here is an example of the very first test's requirements in Yiliquan:

Physical Prerequisites:

Perform 5 pushups on fists; 5 pushups on fingertips; 10 situps with knees bent; horse riding stance for 60 seconds.

(Note: These are very easy to do - they are meant to be conditioning goals for those who are less conditioned than others. I have taught primarily military personnel, so the physical requirements I give them are based on what I know our standards are in the Army.)

Oral -

Answer basic questions regarding Yiliquan knowledge/history; answer basic questions regarding CMA knowledge/history.

(Note: As students progress, the questions delve into philosophy, strategy, training theory as well as the history and application of other styles.)

Physical -

Single Basic Techniques: 10 different standard techniques.

Basic Combinations: 5 different standard combinations.

Stances and Stepping: Demonstrate basic stances, their weight distributions and uses; demonstrate basic steps and their uses; perform basic stance/stepping form.

Forms -

Ferocious Tiger Descends the Mountain
Three Jewels

(Note: These forms are "basic" forms, being easy to learn and perform smoothly, however they require years of practice to do them "just right," and so they are the first to be taught.)

Basic One Step Fighting

Basic Self Defense

Grappling

(Note: These categories contain techniques and combinations that are level specific, i.e. they are simple for a beginner and are standardized for ease of instruction. They are not "end all, be all" techniques. They form basic foundations for more advanced combinations to be developed.)

This is just a very vague example (because it would take WAY too long to type out the whole thing!) of our basic test. Each test is cumulative, in that all information is testable as the student progresses - there is never something that falls by the wayside.

Tests are good indicators of what a student does and does not know, and help to maintain standards in a school...

Gambarimasu.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thats interesting. One of our "cousin" schools has only three levels, Novice, Advanced, Sifu. Man the Novice level test is pretty damn tough!!

7sm